Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Big power?

Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big power?

Any body building big power with a big truck? Me and my dad want to build a hot rod big truck. I love trucks my dads a mechanic and truck driver. What y'all running if any y'all building big power or into that kinda of stuff. We were think bout a older Pete 362 COE or 359 if can find one, stretched out to bout 290" WB flat black just goin with that rat rod/hot rod style with a V8 cat or B model cat, 18 spd with 3.55 rears.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
One thought............ KTA Cummins.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:45 AM

That's the easy way lol and if I ain't a cat it's a dog lol
Old 04-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Well you've got the 3408 to compete with it....... as best it can
Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bulltamer
That's the easy way lol and if I ain't a cat it's a dog lol
Right out of high school, I worked for Cat. They sent me to their school. I don't like Cats. Now, I have a Cat anyway. I don't like it. For the first time in my life I don't need a mechanic... I need a vet.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 PM

Go to youtube and watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohtKRjUjgpY

then click around there and get your fill of raw power and smoke

afterward, google search truck rodeo notre dame du nord

You will find that there is alot of C-15's and 16's, nobody shows pictures under the hoods unless its the show trucks.

Those from Canada should know how heavy those trailers are.

Would love to see this in person but just too dang far south.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:21 AM

Hey all new here and i can say thru experience drivin w9's and 379's all with c15s except one pete with a 565 isx and cat is nothing but power haulin trash my c15 would run by and over Cummins climbing any hill around and grain hauling my 525 would also embarrass the 565

Sent from my EVO using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
Old 08-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Peterbilt_379
Hey all new here and i can say thru experience drivin w9's and 379's all with c15s except one pete with a 565 isx and cat is nothing but power haulin trash my c15 would run by and over Cummins climbing any hill around and grain hauling my 525 would also embarrass the 565

Yup, they got power alright, I'll give you that much. But they're pretty proud of their parts. $113 for 18 lousy little O-rings on the injectors. STUPID! I can't even imagine what they'd want for something like a water pump.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Yea parts are a lil pricey but overall ive had way better luck with cat my isx was always in the shop and i had previous experiences with other isx's comps just frying themselves 3 to be exact went thru two different trucks cuz of it lol

Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Peterbilt_379
Yea parts are a lil pricey but overall ive had way better luck with cat my isx was always in the shop and i had previous experiences with other isx's comps just frying themselves 3 to be exact went thru two different trucks cuz of it lol

I may, (MAY!), have to concede to you on that. I haven't had anything big before my current Cat since the mid to late 90's, so I have no experience with the newer Cummins'. But my old three and four hundred Cummins' ran and ran and RAN! When I DID need parts they were comparatively inexpensive. The last one I had, had over a million miles on it and had never been apart for anything.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
I may, (MAY!), have to concede to you on that. I haven't had anything big before my current Cat since the mid to late 90's, so I have no experience with the newer Cummins'. But my old three and four hundred Cummins' ran and ran and RAN! When I DID need parts they were comparatively inexpensive. The last one I had, had over a million miles on it and had never been apart for anything.
Yea my old boss had a 98 63"stand up pete with an ol cummins 1.8mil on it ran strong sounded awesome with 7" straights i used that when my truck was down or.. Just wanted to hear it lol

Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Say what you want about Cat motors, the only ones I've been in were the dogs. The C-15s had gears behind them for a 3406, which didn't help, but the 3406E's weren't much better. At least not set anywhere from 430-450 hp. Seemed to drop off real fast about 150 RPM shy of where you needed to get to with the 10 speeds for an upshift, a 13 would have gone a long way with them.

Once a year the C15s also ate intake valve actuators. May as well do all three at once, because it was guaranteed if you didn't you'd be down twice more in the next month to do the other two.

I'm thinking I'd like a Superliner with a 500 Detroit with a Pittsburg Power box in it. 13 speed as well, though a Detroit does pull really well with a 10.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by scot pa
Say what you want about Cat motors, the only ones I've been in were the dogs. The C-15s had gears behind them for a 3406, which didn't help, but the 3406E's weren't much better. At least not set anywhere from 430-450 hp. Seemed to drop off real fast about 150 RPM shy of where you needed to get to with the 10 speeds for an upshift, a 13 would have gone a long way with them.

Once a year the C15s also ate intake valve actuators. May as well do all three at once, because it was guaranteed if you didn't you'd be down twice more in the next month to do the other two.

I'm thinking I'd like a Superliner with a 500 Detroit with a Pittsburg Power box in it. 13 speed as well, though a Detroit does pull really well with a 10.
Oh one yr.. Well detroit has never been anything but oil eating garbage only gd for throw away freightshakers and a 10spd is gd for the same, a cat dont need gears cuz ive smoked cummaparts climbing hill at a 3.23 to 3.36 disadvantage and i was only 525 compared to 565 cats just a way better workhorse. If you don't need power yea a detroits fine a Cummins will do much better performance wise and have way less problems but pulling is what you want then go yellow. In my career I've done enough and seen enough to know, i drove a superliner with a big cam cummins whatta toilet the motor was beast the truck was edit 15spd was ok but a 100k of trash it wasn't cuttin it

When i use Xparent Tapatalk 2 on my Evo... You haz my permission to die

Edit from admin chaikwa; I have my opinions on this issue, but one thing that is NOT an opinion is that we don't allow using symbols, (ie, the '$' for an 'S'), or any other symbol, to make a poor choice in words! People generally get one warning. You've just had yours!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 PM

I ain't gonna get into it on here with you.

Opinions are like edit, everyone has one. I just don't like the way the Cat motors I've run pulled and prefer a 60 series or a 2-stroke Detroit, or a mechanical Cummins, to the Cat.

Very few people's posts on here can be taken as gospel. And those whose are, well, let's just say they really earned it. I decided to join in this thread, but didn't realize it was going to be a one-man bash-fest.

Same goes for you too. And anyone else that wants to try to skate around this rule.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once cat went to accert it was all down hill from there. You could not go to any Paccar dealer without seeing a sea of yellow in the shop. The cost of tier 3/4 and warranty claims drove cat straight out of the class 8 market. On a side note if you knew someone that could "enhance" the ecm along with a few small mechanical mods then the accerts were power houses, unfortunately to many super truckers have to show how fast and powerful their chicken hauler special is and wind up windowing a block then on to a 30-40k engine replacement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big power?