Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Advice for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a newbie?

I'm planning on buying a 'toterhome' for semi-local camping, but more for towing a big 5th wheel longer distances. I'm new to the world of big rigs, and not sure how to assess the suitability of the various platform choices. I've done some searching and found a few threads here and there on the topic, but if anyone knows of a thread/forum/book that discusses the relative merits of Cat/Cummins/Detroit Diesel/MB/Volvo and Freightliner/Kenworth/Peterbilt/Spartan and Allison/Meritor or whatever, then I'd sure like to be pointed in that direction.

Thx, Eric Diehl
Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ediehl
I'm planning on buying a 'toterhome' for semi-local camping, but more for towing a big 5th wheel longer distances. I'm new to the world of big rigs, and not sure how to assess the suitability of the various platform choices. I've done some searching and found a few threads here and there on the topic, but if anyone knows of a thread/forum/book that discusses the relative merits of Cat/Cummins/Detroit Diesel/MB/Volvo and Freightliner/Kenworth/Peterbilt/Spartan and Allison/Meritor or whatever, then I'd sure like to be pointed in that direction.

Thx, Eric Diehl
Im not sure I will be of much help but, I worked for Freightliner Truck Manufacturing for 14 years. They did make several models for towing large trailers, along the lines of a fl90 were the older ones and there are the columbias and century class. We also sue to build a chassis for kibby and haulmark which were a self contained rv style truck. Cat, Cummins, Detroit are great engines, the mercedes benz is a good engine but they are a pain to work on, they are basically a spin off of the 50 series detroit ( one of them owns the other can't remember which way it is). Allison and meritor are great trans. I prefer the allison over the meritor, allison imo is a heavier duty trans than meritor . I hope this may help some, good luck on your decision..
Old 07-27-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a little info to add there. The 50 series is a 4 cylinder version of the series 60. nothing more nothing less. the series 40E is a rebadged International DT466. avoid those. it uses an abortion of a electronics package.

MBEs are terrible engines. do everything you can to avoid buying one. Daimler owns detroit. and they also bought the industrial line of mercedies engines. which include the MBE900 and MBE4000. both 6 cylinders which you would find on the road here in Freightliners. but since then MBEs have been discontinued for the expanded line of detroit engines. the DD family of engines. which they kept alot of the Mercedies stylings but are detroits now. DD9 DD13 DD15 DD16.