Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   AZDTR #20 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/azdtr-20-126/)
-   -   Need a mechanic in Tucson, AZ!!!!! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/azdtr-20-126/need-mechanic-tucson-az-228003/)

BTab 12-30-2008 01:58 PM

Need a mechanic in Tucson, AZ!!!!!

Just posted a question about a serious problem I am having with my 2001, Ram 3500 (see "Runaway! " in the "HELP" Forum). I am in Tucson, AZ at a campground over on the west side. Can't go anywhere until the problem is fixed. Any hints as to who might be able to work on my clutch problem? Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. BTab

BigIron70 12-30-2008 08:12 PM

Clutch master or slave cylinder failure. . Part #4 comes as one unit with a guick disconnect to make installing easier. NOTE: The factory installed hydraulic linkage has a quick disconnect at the slave cylinder, this fitting should not be disconnected. The hydraulic linkage is serviced as an assembly only, but it comes as two pieces to ease installation. Once the clutch hydraulic line is connected to the slave cylinder, it should not be disconnected.
Remove nuts attaching slave cylinder to studs on clutch housing (Hydraulic Clutch Linkage).
Remove slave cylinder from clutch housing.
Remove the plastic clip securing the hydraulic line to the dash panel from the lower dash panel flange.
Remove the plastic clip securing the hydraulic line to the dash panel from the upper dash panel stud.
Lower vehicle.
Disconnect clutch pedal interlock switch wires.
Remove retaining clip (Clutch Cylinder Push Rod Attachment).
Slide clutch master cylinder push rod off pedal pin.
Inspect condition of bushing in the clutch master cylinder pushrod (Clutch Cylinder Push Rod Attachment). Replace the clutch hydraulic linkage if bushing is worn or damaged.
Verify that cap on clutch master cylinder reservoir is tight. This will avoid spillage during removal.
Remove the nuts holding the clutch master cylinder to the dash panel.
Remove screws that attach clutch fluid reservoir to dash panel.
Remove the clutch master cylinder from the dash panel.
Remove clutch cylinders, reservoir and connecting lines from vehicle.
Installation

Tighten cap on clutch fluid reservoir to avoid spillage during installation.
Position cylinders, connecting lines and reservoir in vehicle engine compartment. Locate the clutch hydraulic line against the dash panel and behind all engine hoses and wiring.
Insert clutch master cylinder in dash panel. Install and tighten the nuts to hold the clutch master cylinder to the dash panel.
Apply a light coating of grease to the inside and outside diameter of the master cylinder bushing.
Install clutch master cylinder push rod on clutch pedal pin. Secure rod with retaining clip.
Connect clutch pedal position (interlock) switch wires.
Position clutch fluid reservoir on dash panel and install reservoir screws. Tighten screws to 5 N·m (40 in. lbs.).
Install the plastic clip securing the hydraulic line to the dash panel into the lower dash panel flange.
Install the plastic clip securing the hydraulic line to the dash panel onto the upper dash panel stud.
Raise vehicle.
Install slave cylinder. Be sure cap at end of cylinder rod is seated in release lever. Check this before installing cylinder attaching nuts.
NOTE: If new linkage is being installed, do not remove the plastic shipping strap from slave cylinder push rod. The shipping strap will break on its own upon the first clutch application.

Install and tighten slave cylinder attaching nuts to 23 N·m (200 in. lbs.).
If a new clutch linkage is being installed, connect the clutch hydraulic line (Clutch Slave Cylinder) to the clutch slave cylinder.
Lower vehicle.
Operate linkage several times to verify proper operation.

BTab 12-31-2008 10:50 PM

Thanks Big Iron for taking the time and giving me an extensive reply. My truck was towed to a Dodge service center here in Tucson. I will find use for your info when I get to talk to their mechanic. Any idea why the problem is not constant but instead goes away and the truck shifts in a normal manner with no hint of a problem? How will I be able to tell if it is fixed - especially since I tow with this truck? If I can't disengage the clutch or get the stick in neutral while towing my trailer I'll be in big trouble. Thanks for taking the time trying to help me out. I really appreciate it. Happy New Year. BTab