Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
www.reto-solutions.com

Is that a typo? I couldnt find the site

nevermind....http://www.retro-solutions.com/retrofit.html
Sorry Sir-- MY TYPO, www.retro-solutions.com will take you there.DW
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you already ordered these dave?

i am doing a major light upgrade on the 09 jetta. thought i would be good to go with 35w HID but my light control module doesn't have an HID option . . . so now it will give me a lamp out signal because it's not seeing 55w. however, if i find a kit such as these you linked, i may not need any programming changes at all . . .

i am interested in ordering a set.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by DWeiler
I have been wanting a set for over a year now but was like you until i read some comment/referrals from some other websites---brolaws problems with his HID's even discouraged me more.Probable check with Recon as i saw a warning that no HID's will work in there lights---i think there website,maybe.I am going to try some projector lights but not Recons---maybe "SPYDER" or something.I am dealing with Steve at [url]www.retro-solutions.com, no comment on the kit yet as i hope that there are no problems---(i will be the test mule first and have egg on my face if this kit is crap) It's a "TRUE" 55W-6000k digital ballast,not a 35W boosted to 55W---price is 189.00US plus 31.00 for shipping with USPS) as i just ordered it.We have had several e-mails back and forth----all questions answered ASAP(Please read though his website COMPLETELY as a lot of my questions were answered there).Guarantee's a plug and play kit that works around the 07 Dodge headlight /signal cancel programing and will not throw any "codes/lamp out" warnings.No splicing/cutting, all stock wire remain in place/together.Ballast and bulbs are lifetime warranty---but i ordered one extra of each just in case of failure out in the sticks/booneys.If something fails it will fail the farthest from home.Brolaw bought his from another place and is having problems----there techs a saying try this try that and it seems it a "generic kit",he has had to splice in resistors now.I am trying to get better lighting for my 07 as i tend to travel more and more at night up and down the QEII,few close calls with BAMBIE---BUCKSTOP bumper will solve that but better light is first.Hope this helps.DW
I remember seeing a "warranty is void if HIDs are installed" sticker on the light housings. Not too sure why, HIDs run cooler and bolt right in from what I can see. Only thing is that I have 4 bulbs where as the stock setup has 2. So I'd need to install a second set of bulbs and ballasts to make it work with my current setup. Its never easy haha
Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
have you already ordered these dave?

i am doing a major light upgrade on the 09 jetta. thought i would be good to go with 35w HID but my light control module doesn't have an HID option . . . so now it will give me a lamp out signal because it's not seeing 55w. however, if i find a kit such as these you linked, i may not need any programming changes at all . . .

i am interested in ordering a set.
Ordered on the weekend so about 10 days to get here though USPS.Give Steve a e-mail,maybe he has something or a suggestion to help you out,very informed ---never hurts to ask.With Canadian vehicle's he knew what needed to be done with the DRL---just a different wiring harness--still plug/play.DW
Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
I remember seeing a "warranty is void if HIDs are installed" sticker on the light housings. Not too sure why, HIDs run cooler and bolt right in from what I can see. Only thing is that I have 4 bulbs where as the stock setup has 2. So I'd need to install a second set of bulbs and ballasts to make it work with my current setup. Its never easy haha
Still going to go the projector light route too---just not the"Recons",we will see as i am still looking at styles------BLACK OR SMOKED----no CHROME.DW
Old 10-30-2011, 11:33 PM

ok thanx dave i'll send him an email and see what my options are.

as for your headlight housing choices . . . i say if the rest of the truck is blacked out then don't get smoked or black housings. i am going through the same thing on our jetta right now - just blacked it out and put hella dynabeams in it. the dynabeams are not available in a black or smoked option - but now i am glad they weren't because against everything else that is black, the lights really pop out and look great. mind you, they are a very nice housing to begin with too . . . plus i have all the functional benefit of the light upgrade too without putting it thru tinted lenses or painted reflectors.

i think my option would only look good with the right housing though. anything too flashy and it will take away from the rest of the truck . . . anything like stock, well then it looks like the headlights just got forgotten!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
ok thanx dave i'll send him an email and see what my options are.

as for your headlight housing choices . . . i say if the rest of the truck is blacked out then don't get smoked or black housings. i am going through the same thing on our jetta right now - just blacked it out and put hella dynabeams in it. the dynabeams are not available in a black or smoked option - but now i am glad they weren't because against everything else that is black, the lights really pop out and look great. mind you, they are a very nice housing to begin with too . . . plus i have all the functional benefit of the light upgrade too without putting it thru tinted lenses or painted reflectors.

i think my option would only look good with the right housing though. anything too flashy and it will take away from the rest of the truck . . . anything like stock, well then it looks like the headlights just got forgotten!
JETTA EH---those scream along pretty good----Thanks for the info---still thinking about it, will probable not be until spring.DW
Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
I'm heading down to Sweetgrass in a couple of weeks but I'm going to be pretty full coming back.

I will be able to pick up some small stuff & would be happy to do that for anyone. Just make sure to check availability so your items will be there before I head down...

...Joe
FYI- Just found out today, if you’re going to pick-up anything for anyone, you have to have to have a transfer document, basic transferring all power of attorney, allowing the pick-up ee, to pay the GST/duty on your behalf.

If you can't, you have to return the goods back to USA. On the document, you have to photocopy both sides of the person that your shipping for, driver licence

Never guess how I found this out.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info Mike...
Old 11-05-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
FYI- Just found out today, if you’re going to pick-up anything for anyone, you have to have to have a transfer document, basic transferring all power of attorney, allowing the pick-up ee, to pay the GST/duty on your behalf.

If you can't, you have to return the goods back to USA. On the document, you have to photocopy both sides of the person that your shipping for, driver licence

Wow, Mike. I'm sorry to hear that.

I have picked up several items for other guys & never had an issue. Perhaps I just got lucky.
There is never an issue at the Montana Shipping Outlet. All they need is an email or phonecall & they will release the package.

I've always had the paperwork ahead of time for all the packages I am picking up, including packages for friends.
I always add their docs to mine & their total to the total I'm declaring at the Cdn border.

I've never had an issue at the border. Did the border guys go thru your paperwork item by item? I've never had that happen to me.

The only minor issue I've ever had is when I had quite a few small stuff & I did not accurately add up the total. You need the accurate total BEFORE you go to the border crossing.
The border person at the window needs the accurate total.
In my case the border guy was not happy but I got thru the process with no problem.

That would have been a total PITA but luckily MSO Sweetgrass is 2 minutes from the border crossing. So not a long drive, but the MSO Eureka would have been a total time waster.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen

PITA---but basically it is a hassle as with all the QUESTIONABLE"items that cross, i can see why------All of us at the ABDTR are stand up fellas but i really would not like to be a guy at boarder picking up for a friend of a friend with 10KG of the "WHITE STUFF" that happened to fall out of the box.When i went down i brought a good friend of mine with me along for the ride/company who retired with 33 years as a captain of the Calgary Fire Department(he retire out in Nova Scotia-Bay of Fundy) but was in town visiting his kids-----he got the same run around as i did crossing,20 questions etc too.The boarder guard backed off a bit once he realized i was answering his questions as fast as he could spit them out---(pretty legit picking up 4 truck rims even showed the Paypal receipt ASAP),I even still had my work uniform on too.Depends on who you get,mind you a couple of the female boarder guards at the Canada collection office were friendly/easy on the eyes..DW
Old 11-05-2011, 09:06 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
Wow, Mike. I'm sorry to hear that.

I have picked up several items for other guys & never had an issue. Perhaps I just got lucky.
There is never an issue at the Montana Shipping Outlet. All they need is an email or phonecall & they will release the package.

I've always had the paperwork ahead of time for all the packages I am picking up, including packages for friends.
I always add their docs to mine & their total to the total I'm declaring at the Cdn border.

I've never had an issue at the border. Did the border guys go thru your paperwork item by item? I've never had that happen to me.

The only minor issue I've ever had is when I had quite a few small stuff & I did not accurately add up the total. You need the accurate total BEFORE you go to the border crossing.
The border person at the window needs the accurate total.
In my case the border guy was not happy but I got thru the process with no problem.

That would have been a total PITA but luckily MSO Sweetgrass is 2 minutes from the border crossing. So not a long drive, but the MSO Eureka would have been a total time waster.
The item was used tires and rims. Really there shouldn't have been any gst and I should have had to pay was the duty. I wasn't in the mood to fight with the guy.

What really bugged me, is that I need to get photocopy of both side of the owners driver license.

Sorry DW, no white stuff was found besides shipping popcorn on this trip. Wow did they have a few dogs checking vehicles going south and north.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 PM

So what are he rules regarding "DUTY",all i got hit for was $42.00CAN GST on brand new rims(caps,lugs included), just over $800.00US and only on the original purchase price as shipping is exempt.No extra charges for me.DW----PS i would like to know as my Buckstop front and rear bumpers + the Warn 16.5 TI winch are going to run close to 4K in the future.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:32 PM

You only pay duty on items manufactured outside of the NAFTA countries.

Quick Reply: Sweetgrass Montana Parts Pick Up.