ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Front diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front diff

Anyone know where to get a new or rebuilt diff for a 05 Dodge in or around Red Deer?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the hole thing?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 PM

thats what I am trying to find. Rebuilt or new. I might have to find one this week.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:36 PM
The Guru

What wrong with the front axle? They can be rebuilt. A wreckers might be a good place to phone.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:45 PM

How many are you hording Mikey?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:34 PM
The Guru

I have no front diff's. I have a few engines and turbos, but they are being used. You have to have a few spares available, just incase
Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 AM

Does anybody know a decent place that doesn't cost more then a new diff?

I can not figure it out wheel bearings blow out,

I have noticed with new wheel hubs that they are rough to turn, not sure if that might have something to do with it or not.

The truck goes into the shop (not Dodge) on Monday to try and diagnose what the problem is, they want close to $5000 to rebuild the diff worse case.I can buy a brand new one for $4500 if Dodge can find one.

I don't have any expierance rebuilding diffs or I would do it myself. Always left that job to the experts.

I start calling wreckers on Monday to try and find a good replacement unit.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 AM
The Guru

For that kinda money, I would PM Rob (Winkdemon). He can help you out.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 AM

for that kind of money I would look at a used one or change the wheel bearing to locking hubs. I suppose that would not fix the problem if the housing is bad.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:04 AM
The Guru

Probably due to improper installation. I had the same problem when I had my local dodge dealer repair mine last time. Upper/hubs failure are aweful on these trucks. Next time, I plan to remove my ball joints/hubs, and replace them with 1ton kingpin stuff. You get manual locking hubs, which helps in the fuel mileage. My front hubs come out pretty easy, I just used a 10lb hammer. I used my plasma torch and cut out my upper/lower ball joints. In about an hour, I was putting in new parts. Contact Rob, he's pretty good mechanic, if you prefer to have someone else pull the wrenches. For $4500, I'm guessing that your getting a complete front end rebuilt, most of that is steering stuff. I doubt that the internals inside the axle are ruined. If you have lube and change the oil periodically, you should be ok.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi

The truck goes into the shop (not Dodge) on Monday to try and diagnose what the problem is, they want close to $5000 to rebuild the diff worse case.I can buy a brand new one for $4500 if Dodge can find one.
Thats just pure stupidity. I mean, I would think the diff could be rebuilt in 10 hours at a reasonable $100 per hour (are mechanics really charging more than that??) - thats $1000. How exactly do they arrive at a figure of $5k? Unbelievable.

Rob seems like a good honest guy - see if he can do something for you.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Does anybody know a decent place that doesn't cost more then a new diff?

I can not figure it out wheel bearings blow out,

I have noticed with new wheel hubs that they are rough to turn, not sure if that might have something to do with it or not.

I don't have any expierance rebuilding diffs or I would do it myself. Always left that job to the experts.

I start calling wreckers on Monday to try and find a good replacement unit.
You will be getting a PM this evening..
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks Dave.

Right now I am dumbfounded, it is a pretty simple install remove bearing, install bearing torque to spec.
One thing I am wondering is if there is suppose to be a shim behind the brake shield or not. The manual shows one but I don't have one and Dodge says there is not one.
Depressing to say the least on how much time and money already spent, no forward movement so far. Been thinking of buying a used unit to drop in but then who knows how long that unit will last.

I been phoning everyone I know who works on these things and they all are thinking something to do with the diff. They all are saying 1 in a million.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Thanks Dave.

Right now I am dumbfounded, it is a pretty simple install remove bearing, install bearing torque to spec.
One thing I am wondering is if there is suppose to be a shim behind the brake shield or not. The manual shows one but I don't have one and Dodge says there is not one.
Depressing to say the least on how much time and money already spent, no forward movement so far. Been thinking of buying a used unit to drop in but then who knows how long that unit will last.

I been phoning everyone I know who works on these things and they all are thinking something to do with the diff. They all are saying 1 in a million.
So did all these problems happen after the new bearings where installed??If so...What was the problem before??Noise in diff??
Old 03-21-2010, 04:34 PM

did you try leaving the axle out and just putting the the stub in and see if it makes a differents ?

Quick Reply: Front diff