ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

recession in Alberta

Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus
Now, I'm the guy y'all love to hate....S A F E T Y, until crap hits the fan that is.

"Pardon me Mr. Driller, you might want to watch those mud gains over the past twelve hours...she's fixin' to come at us."

"What do you know.....&*&^$#$^T&*)(("

****Then after mud is flying, sour is spewing, and they all have to mask up........."Btw the way Mr. Driller, I had my BOP ticket before you hit puberty."

The look on their face is priceless

Granted, I'll be the first to admit there are a lot of 'Worse Than Useless' in my part of the industry.

you must work with circus rigs. i worked for nabors 12 years and first line second line are the required control method on big iron... bop ticket???

as far as gains for twelve hours @ the pvt that doesnt by any means scream blow out... i would laugh @ you too maybe the d man is building volume maybe the cellar was cleaned out. maybe the well is flowing or making fluid doesnt mean danger danger shut er in... now if the well was taking fluid and the tanks are showing a loss after you figure in rop that could make a guy get alert fast... but safety is safety and you are there for a reason so stick to that ... i want a safety hand where he is supposed to be over in a shack with a scba on his back he is no good to me out wandering around my rig and somthing happens and he is the first to go down cause it happens just like that (/me snaps fingers)

as far as the recession dont no? but i know alot of contract welders slowing down and i know i am getting tight with my atm card she doesnt see as many big swipes as she used too, read over $1000... keep it in the mattress
Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by apprentice
i want a safety hand where he is supposed to be over in a shack with a scba on his back he is no good to me out wandering around my rig and somthing happens and he is the first to go down cause it happens just like that (/me snaps fingers)
A lot of good is the safety guy when he isn't out seeing anything. Complacency breeds accidents. Especially in places where production is pushed over safety.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by 06RED-BARON
i cant believe that, how can someone do that , im so glad i got hired here first. (bonus, then nabors) so i take it you work for pws?
Na i dont think i could stoop as low as being on a rig(j/k). Im tester for a smaller company but i used to work for Precision Energy Servies and we had to work with him/it down in pincher crack a few times till they bought him out so they didnt loose anymore work. It was so nsty having to work with him/it.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 AM
The Guru

Its ok to slow down and do something other than work. I'm tired of working the tons of hours for what. At the end of the day, you're always broke, looking for the next paycheck. Lots of outfits looking for bargains right now, then they will work the heck out of ya, and then pay you 90 days later. That drive me crazy. Everytime I get asked if I'm dropping my price, I just respond that my 09 pricing has gone up, and let me know if you're still interested. I have little patient for billion dollar company looking for a two dollar cheap fix and I charge them more cause. These income trust companies are about the worst outfits to work for the lack of safety, and paying in a timely fashion. They still all have company planes that fly down south for the month golfing/board meeting.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by DODGER BOMBER
Na i dont think i could stoop as low as being on a rig(j/k). Im tester for a smaller company but i used to work for Precision Energy Servies and we had to work with him/it down in pincher crack a few times till they bought him out so they didnt loose anymore work. It was so nsty having to work with him/it.

Ouch, a rester saying the rig's blow , its all good we all know you guys just sleep and get paid.

Dodgediesel....

Yeah the marty party is right, but we call him "Panic Dushanek" he loves it . Im Chad by the way... How is CWC doing with this slowdown?

Apprentice...

How come you drilling guys think you run the patch, all my buddies quit the "circus rig's" and joined the dark side "Digging rigs", they couldnt handle the work i guess. There will always be a competition between the two. Remember u drill'em we fill'em. kind of a hidden message there.
It's all in fun though....
Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 AM

Amen to that....the more you make, the more you spend. I don't end up with any more in my pocket at the end of the month than when I was 20 and driving my old '76 D100. Admittedly, I have quite a bit nicer stuff now. But the point is, I was happy then. Probably could be happy now without all this stuff again if I had to. Probably could take an extended holiday if I'd quit buying tools....
Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Ouch, a rester saying the rig's blow , its all good we all know you guys just sleep and get paid.

Dodgediesel....

Yeah the marty party is right, but we call him "Panic Dushanek" he loves it . Im Chad by the way... How is CWC doing with this slowdown?

Apprentice...

How come you drilling guys think you run the patch, all my buddies quit the "circus rig's" and joined the dark side "Digging rigs", they couldnt handle the work i guess. There will always be a competition between the two. Remember u drill'em we fill'em. kind of a hidden message there.

Ouch havent herd that one before...... Ya i know but hey its easy money and some one has to make it. Besides i was gonna work rigs bu never kept me busy. Im always busy with this job.Well 90% of the time anyway. I have over 200 field days this year which isnt to bad if you ask me. I know my buddy is a push and he sellin alot of stuff cause he might have worked 4 months this year. It all depends.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM

Your right man atleast your getting the bills paid. Ive worked maybe 6 months this year, but alot of those days were relieving on other rig's. I made more money on other rig's this year then on my own. Like i said it will all depend on how much money these companies are willing to spend next year.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:42 AM

Dodgediesel....

Apprentice...

Hey Chad, Jamie here. We are at about 40-60% right now. It's hit and miss but we are just getting in with Husky which is kinda funny as they just released over 50 drilling and service rigs????
How are you guys doing?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Your right man atleast your getting the bills paid. Ive worked maybe 6 months this year, but alot of those days were relieving on other rig's. I made more money on other rig's this year then on my own. Like i said it will all depend on how much money these companies are willing to spend next year.
Ya for sure man. I know the feeling the fist half of the year i was just lookin after other guys stuff and doing some experimental stuff and now i have been out in sask since may and have been busy ever since.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by apprentice
you must work with circus rigs. i worked for nabors 12 years and first line second line are the required control method on big iron... bop ticket???

as far as gains for twelve hours @ the pvt that doesnt by any means scream blow out... i would laugh @ you too maybe the d man is building volume maybe the cellar was cleaned out. maybe the well is flowing or making fluid doesnt mean danger danger shut er in... now if the well was taking fluid and the tanks are showing a loss after you figure in rop that could make a guy get alert fast... but safety is safety and you are there for a reason so stick to that ... i want a safety hand where he is supposed to be over in a shack with a scba on his back he is no good to me out wandering around my rig and somthing happens and he is the first to go down cause it happens just like that (/me snaps fingers)
True to some extent. It's been a year since in the field and have been assigned to a plant to be quite honestly taking it easy, but I guarantee that if I am wearing a pac, you are under air or will be shortly. I will not put one on just for funzies. Spoken as a driller with an ego - go figure. Now apprentice, don't take that any other way than to be talking to someone that may know slightly more than the guy out on your lease currently and it's just meant to be humerous. Trust me, I haven't forgotten how to throw tongs.

I've worked with both sides of drilling and completion. I hate to say it out loud, but when it actually comes to working with sour, the completion guys tend to be more accustomed - just for one simple reason is they are exposed to it more often.

Unfortunately, I've worked with Boots & Coots on the drilling side of things more times than I even care to recall. At that point, someone has seriously scewed up.

Now to put aside all the BS, here's a little joke for ya'll: "Any man can drill a hole in mother earth, but it takes a real man to make her come. All the downstream guys and associated trades just clean up the mess."

A lot of good is the safety guy when he isn't out seeing anything. Complacency breeds accidents. Especially in places where production is pushed over safety.
True too. Practicality has a place also though.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Hey Chad, Jamie here. We are at about 40-60% right now. It's hit and miss but we are just getting in with Husky which is kinda funny as they just released over 50 drilling and service rigs????
How are you guys doing?

Well i know in brooks we are about the same as you guys but it deffinatly has slowed down in the last month. There are 9 rigs in the yard right now and a few parked in the feild. We use to have 6 rigs steady with husky, but now who know's. I guess only time will tell, me and the boys might be knocking on your door step next quarter. or maybe be trying to get on with DODGERBOMBER , me a rester cant see it myself but who know's
Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
The Guru

Jason, you can't stop buying the cool new tools. They are always welcome addition to the garage. At least you can drink a beer with good friends and try to fix something. There worse things to buy than tools. Thanks for coming over and hanging out at my place.

You rig guys only working 200 day a year. Wow, you guys must make tons of cash. I'm around 6-7 days a week. Sometime take off sunday or two a month to entertain the kid. I just work production, once the hole is dug, someone has to make it work so you can make money. I still think there are lots of cash flowing in the industry, so you have to do the work, cause there is no tomorrow. My work just keeps on getting deeper. I just had two new clients asking for I want it done now, and I don't care on cost.

4 to 6 months a year of work, wow, I'm in the wrong job.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 AM

Well i know in brooks we are about the same as you guys but it deffinatly has slowed down in the last month. There are 9 rigs in the yard right now and a few parked in the feild. We use to have 6 rigs steady with husky, but now who know's. I guess only time will tell, me and the boys might be knocking on your door step next quarter. or maybe be trying to get on with DODGERBOMBER , me a rester cant see it myself but who know's
We might start you at a green hands pay. Ya maybe look into work out here. They are suppose be busy next season and will only get busier if oil goes back up. I know the oil company told the contractors in the area that if oil gets back to 70-90/bbl with will be busy again. There was 140 rigs down here for a long time workin and i think the count is down now but every one has slowed down before christmas.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 AM

What do you guys think about this new issue with the govt. Fricken buggers,, going to overthrow the govt just after we spent billions electing him

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: recession in Alberta