ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

NW Calgary

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NW Calgary

The "gods are mad at me", Here some pics of the hail up in Citadel last night,07 dually has damage to the roof and hood((((---i managed to get a blanket on the hood so only 4 good dents, but my roof took most of the damage,10-15 hits.The 01 toy truck was in the garage along with the MRS car.))))The house has lots of damage to the roof,---probable need a new one of those+soffit ,Aluminum patio cover looks like someone took a ball-peen hammer to it,several "DEEP" dents to it(about 100)plus one damaged skylight panel with a hole clear though.No damage to the sides of the house as it is stucco.I took one hail stone on the melon when i was out their and had a pretty good goose egg size lump on the back of my head----thanks to my neighbor for the bike helmet he loaned me.Now the fun begins dealing with the insurance company.CheersDW
Attached Thumbnails NW Calgary-imag0669.jpg   NW Calgary-img_20120812_221315.jpg   NW Calgary-img_20120812_221220.jpg  
Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We got totally missed in the deep SW...But it was very very close...We just got a rain and that was it..Heard there was massive damage in the North areas...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 AM

We tracked this storm for awhile out here in Sundre and all we got was a little rain, for a change!

Hard to get hay in when your getting blasted by hail.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Homestead
Hard to get hay in when your getting blasted by hail. Jeff
Just came back from the farm in MB, the whole first cut was garbage, baled and laying in the field. Picked it up with a loader and dump trailer as too heavy for the bale wagon and hauled it into the tree line, like many more near by, now hoping for a second cut.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Just received my quote for repairs,$14,953.00 to the house,vehicle is still un-known until next year(MAY)when i get it fixed,no rush.House will not be fixed until May/June as i have no leaks yet and would prefer to have it done in nicer weather.The insurance company nailed me with a $400.00 plus jump in premiums,so pay a little over time every year to recoup there losses i guess.I might pay the difference and go with a rubber or metal hail proof roof and be done with it---deal with it next year.DW
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 PM

Hey Dave.....Re-did my house and garage with metal this year...Broker is checking if I will get a little break on home insurance for a metal roof...Best thing I did....I saved about $12,000 doing it myself and lost 20 lbs of weight...

I don't have to worry about my roof for a least 50 years...
Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Hey Dave.....Re-did my house and garage with metal this year...Broker is checking if I will get a little break on home insurance for a metal roof...Best thing I did....I saved about $12,000 doing it myself and lost 20 lbs of weight...

I don't have to worry about my roof for a least 50 years...
That metal roof might out live you.I'm thinking the same way,probable be in this house for another 15 years then retire out to BC/Vancouver Island somewhere,i may as well put the coin into something good and maybe re-coup some of the money with a better reselling feature down the road.I am thinking about the EURO-Sheild rubber roof.I just spent 20k on a hot-tub/gazebo/cement pad in the summer plus rebuilt 1/2 my decks in composite---i will finish the upper one in 2013.Lots of coin to finish the exterior then move onto the interior---pretty much be a new place when i'm done over the next few years.Funny thing is that i am the only stucco house on the block and i save the insurance company some money ----the bill would of been higher had i just put siding on when i built the place in 1996.CHEERS DW
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM

I also checked into the EURO-Sheild rubber roof...I talked to a fellow that had his house done...I even called the company that supplies the rubber tiles...This stuff is not cheap...They have two products of rubber tiles...The economey at $1.98 a square foot and the highend at $3.64 a square foot..

Just was unsure on this new product...Need to see if this stuff will last 40 plus years...If you decide on this stuff Dave...Check the warranty...It's weird...If you sell your house within 10 years,the warranty is transfered to the new owner...If it's after 10 years the warranty is voided...

That's when I decided to stay with the metal roof...It was $1.00 a square foot...I finally talked to a neighbour that had his metal roof installed in 1986...He had it inspected this year and no problems...He told me his roof was prefect even after the hail storm in 1996..That was the year all our asphalt roofs got wiped out...
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the warranty Dave---metal roof is being considered too as we have been nailed with 3 really good hail storms in the past 16+ years living in Citadel.Love the area,close to the ring road on our way out to the lake property(only one signal light door to door within 205 KM one way). Most things i need are near by-so far.Unless something happens i will stay put until retirement,(besides as new lot in a new community 40x80 start at 130K) i will keep my pie lot.Again Thanks---you have me thinking---see the smoke, DW
Old 10-27-2012, 04:45 PM

You can get hardened metal sheeting that's thinner and lighter but also way stronger than standard metal sheeting, it won't crush if you walk on it and will stand up better to hail damage.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
You can get hardened metal sheeting that's thinner and lighter but also way stronger than standard metal sheeting, it won't crush if you walk on it and will stand up better to hail damage.
That's interesting...Never heard of it...None of the metal places told me about it...Or maybe I wasn't listening....

Is it harden 26 or 29 guage??
Old 10-28-2012, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Thanks for the info---DW
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
That's interesting...Never heard of it...None of the metal places told me about it...Or maybe I wasn't listening....

Is it harden 26 or 29 guage??
It's a few years ago I was building aircraft hangars but we used to get the metal cut to the exact length, it came out of Texas through a local dealer in Edmonton, any finish you wanted but I seem to think it was 32 gauge. It really did make a huge difference from the regular sheeting. The very first one we built was regular stuff and we dented the heck out of it walking and even handling long sheets.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 PM

"ANOTHER UPDATE"----2007 dually will need a new hood(possible a SRT replacement ),new roof,new LEER tonneu cover plus all the side door/fender dents will need to be pulled out if possible,4-5k minimum.There is a lot that you cannot see until it is under the right lighting,they may have to repaint all the doors,we will see once they start work on it in late Jan 2013.I was temped to take the cash payout but i plan to keep this ride for a long time,any hail damage that is not repaired will crack and rust out over time.It may be nice to add the payout funds to the mods list but a fast rust bucket is not for me.-----PS ---looks like i may have a 2013 Ford pick-up for 3-4 weeks while they do there magic---may even be a F350 diesel----he is working on it,we will see,let the fun begin.Cheers
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Just say no to that truck,,, if you drive it, your 07 will just feel bad after... they are a stinking nice truck, amazing actually

Quick Reply: NW Calgary