ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

New Toy Not A Dodge But kinda cool

Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
man, sweet truck. not my fave body style, but I still appreciate a truck like that. I tend to go older...much older. but I am a throwback.
I think a built small block is indeed the way to go, have you entertained the thought of a small street charger, like a 144, instead of going the stroker route?

BarryG had a good point about the older trucks transferring the force of impact to the occupants. wish they were still built like that, we'd have far fewer stupid drivers on the road. let's face it, nobody likes to get hurt as a result of their own actions.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pind
man, sweet truck. not my fave body style, but I still appreciate a truck like that. I tend to go older...much older. but I am a throwback.
I think a built small block is indeed the way to go, have you entertained the thought of a small street charger, like a 144, instead of going the stroker route?

BarryG had a good point about the older trucks transferring the force of impact to the occupants. wish they were still built like that, we'd have far fewer stupid drivers on the road. let's face it, nobody likes to get hurt as a result of their own actions.
I am have a old 350 being given to me supposedly an older camel back head late 60 early 70 4 bolt main if it is what they say it is I may go the charger route
Old 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM

that would be a good score. for the ones I've built, the 2vs4 thing is open to preference. 4 bolt straight really isn't a whole bunch stronger than a good casting 2 bolt. splayed 4 bolt, or cross bolted definitely have the advantage.
that said, good crank and rods make a huge difference. and here's some food for thought. on sc applications, I have never used the old 2.02 heads. mostly for not having them. I used 1.94s, and upgraded the exhaust side to 1.60s. then run higher ratio rockers on the outer cylinders, and normal rockers on the centers, to help even up the air/fuel charge. not as necessary as on an na engine, but every little bit helps.

good luck with whichever way you go, I think it'll turn out great.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pind
that would be a good score. for the ones I've built, the 2vs4 thing is open to preference. 4 bolt straight really isn't a whole bunch stronger than a good casting 2 bolt. splayed 4 bolt, or cross bolted definitely have the advantage.
that said, good crank and rods make a huge difference. and here's some food for thought. on sc applications, I have never used the old 2.02 heads. mostly for not having them. I used 1.94s, and upgraded the exhaust side to 1.60s. then run higher ratio rockers on the outer cylinders, and normal rockers on the centers, to help even up the air/fuel charge. not as necessary as on an na engine, but every little bit helps.

good luck with whichever way you go, I think it'll turn out great.
Thanks we will see what happens. I planned on driving the truck up to the Yukon this summer but Life has Being a bit t crazy so doubt it will happen
Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 PM

well, if the twisted road that life takes happens to lead you up this way, let me know, I'm pretty easy to locate.