ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Good or bad luck today??

Old 04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its gonna be all 12v. I just have to get the tranny to work with the 12v
P7100 pump. I'm also looking at billet rockers and special springs for the valves. Here the link for the injection pump.

http://haisleymachine.com/product_in...oducts_id=2471

You need a billet cam and put bushing into the block to turn that kinda of rpm's. http://haisleymachine.com/index.php?cPath=304_305_310

I'll be down there in the summer, so I need a place to hang out.

I have 98 12V core so I might get them to do the machining on the engine to make it nice and purry. I just have to see if the money gods love me. At the very least I could go down and drool.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 PM

I put a new thermostat in today, I think its alright again. In the winter time, I had issues with my antifreeze gelling, so I dumped some and just added water. Fixed my gelling issue, but I think I didn't top up enough in the rad, so thats why my coolant was low. And as far as I know, the system has never been flushed, which is why tha overflow looked like crap. And the oil issue, when I did the last oil change, it was on a slope with the front up, so the dip stick would have been reading higher than actual. I actually had quite a bit of oil left in my jug from that oil change. So hopefully my HG is still intact for a few more miles. I'd think if I did blow it, it would be either running like crap, or leaking some fluids, and its doing neither.

Jason, I don't think I'll need that cooler tester too badly just yet. But next time you come out, I could borrow it for a few minutes and test the one I have on the shelf.

Mike, I don't think you will really want to run that 13mm pump on a daily driver, especially if you are still gonna tow a trailer. The bottom end on them isn't too friendly, apparently. A good tuned 12mm pump is the ticket for a good street truck. If you want to run a billet, F1 has a drop in cam that you don't need to put 6 bearings in. The plate behind the cam is your thrust bearing. Hopefully your 02 has one of those. There is a tone ring on the back of the 01-02 cam gears for the tach pickup. If you are swapping a 12v into your truck, put the 02 cam gear on it, oblong the timing pin hole and get the cam sensor adapter for it. The later years should be easier for the 12v swap than the 98-00 since you don't have to deal with the missing crank sensor. Just keep your stock wiring harness and swap the sensors in to match up. Should work out the same as p-pumping your truck.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Thats good to here Tate.

We just finished installing an Opie's kit and the TNT/R on my brothers truck. Some of the Ford guys are having a bit of a dyno tomorrow at Light speed Innovations in RD, and they have been bugging him to bring his truck out, so we might go see what it can do. Might just have to run it with no programmer though so he doesn't embarrass any of those Ford guys too much.

Are MD-250 dyno's any good for diesels? From what I have heard there are better dyno's out there for diesels then the MD-250.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 AM

probably the best dyno for a diesel is a dynojet. Load dynos, such as a mustang are tough as a high HP diesel will spin on the rollers
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 AM

I'll get hold of you Tate before I come over next time to arrange to meet up-like I said it may very well be this weekend depending on how shop progress goes.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 AM
The Guru

JHansen, when are you going to the Bass shop? I'm taking my dad and my kid to go and look for a decent fish hook. Its been a few days since I threw a hook into the water. I can't wait for summer.

Tate, the two sides of the hi rpm motor. Guys that to put bushing into the engine, and one that don't. What are you up to tonight? We should discuss? when I'm done, the truck wont be pulling any trailers anymore. Just spinning rollers, playing around town, or just going fast. This is to get me by until I can find a decent S-10 to build-up. I just want to pull some wrenchs.

My hemi lease is up early next year, time to buy a new 09 ctd 3500 lammy, I have to keep up with Little Dog.....
Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Depends on if/when the guy I'm supposed to meet up with for more Dakota parts gets back to me. I am hoping he emails me today and we can set it up for Saturday-then it would probably be Sunday.....although I am just realizing this weekend is Easter....maybe it will be Monday? I'll let you know Mike as well when I'm coming.

JH
Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
probably the best dyno for a diesel is a dynojet. Load dynos, such as a mustang are tough as a high HP diesel will spin on the rollers
Thanks Kevin that's what I heard as well, that it will have a tough time reading over 600hp. That's the other reason it might be a good time to run without the Smarty and get a base line on what it can do with just injectors or maybe alittle MP-8 just to keep the rail full. It still pulls 50-55psi with no Smarty so its should still give the Fords a run.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
The Guru

Dynojets like trucks that run nos. On a mustang dyno, if you hit the button you could just light the tires up. Seen that before.

For us guys just running #2 fuel, its isn't as bad. Its all in how they strap you down and position you on the roller. You can adjust the load on the roller as well.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Mike, my truck barely hung on at 600 hp no NOS. And that was with really sticky tires, dropped to 20 psi, etc. Mustangs work good only on trucks up to around 500 hp in my opinion
Old 04-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Well I was just talking to the guys at Trac, and the head sure isn't looking to good. Needs all new seals, guides, all exhaust valves and has a ton of cracks

So it looks like I am on a hunt for a head now, for what it will cost to fix I should be able to find something cheaper.

Also Kevin I was talking to Bob at Trac and he was thinking it would be a good idea to try some wire on the spare head to make sure it was a good fit. I don't know if you got yours yet, but I guess your also quite far away. All I could find around here was 18ga wire but that's not quite 0.041". I ordered some of the same Malin 0.041" stainless stuff but it wont be here for at least a week. So I don't know if you want to give them a call and see what's up?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM
The Guru

I have a fresh recon head with orings, if your in a hurry. I bought it last year from PDR and the mileage in the head is very low. Its just sitting on my spare 24v engine. Its just waiting to get some head port massaging.

Kev, I aggree with you on the stang dyno. I don't know what mine would have pulled on a stang dyno. I was just supprised how little boost my truck actual produced on AFI dyno. Some giggle gas would have helped me out I'm sure.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:11 AM

Tate/Mike, looks like I'm coming that way today if it works to meet up. Not sure just when-probably before lunch. I'll try calling you when I'm over there-I think I still have your cell phone #'s somewhere.

J
Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 AM

Sorry fellas-you never heard from me because I never made it.....Gramps is in the hospital in Red Deer-I was going to go over and visit him Sunday but found out after I left here yesterday that nobody was going over-so I changed course and went there instead.

J
Old 04-13-2009, 12:28 PM
The Guru

JHansen, its was a crazy busy. They had parking that was about 2 miles away. I just turned around and came home. I'll wait till after the spring rush crowd is done, so I can get a deal. They did have some nice boats but my dad just bought a new 2009 20ft pontoon with a 50hp 4 stoke motor last fall. I just have to buy the fish hooks.

I'm just finishing up my water/methanol injection. I'm supprised how much liquid this snow kit uses. Later in the week, my truck will be hooked up. The snow kit only came with limited length of hose. I know already that I'll need a bigger tank for the spray. I'm only gonna run one nozzle for now, I just want to cool the truck down during towing season.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good or bad luck today??