ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Frankentruck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankentruck!

Lil Dog's thread about selling his '97 and having second thoughts about it hit fairly close to home-I retired my '01 this spring after 13 years and 500K of oilfield abuse. It just wasn't feasible to spend the money and do the work to go through it pretty much tip-to-toe for what I would have in the end. I looked from September on trying to find what I wanted (dually QC Laramie with a stick)-finally I picked up a '06 in February-it had a miss that basically went away after it warmed up. I took a chance on it being an injector problem with the knowledge that I had a low km 6.7 sitting around if it was worse than that. Well, whaddyaknow, it was! I assume broken rings on cyl 1, never tore into it far enough to find out. On the bright side, it has a solid flywheel conversion, and the steering stuff was changed over to the '08+ crossover setup). I swapped in the 6.7 dressed as a 5.9 to prove that it would run (when I bought the parts truck ,there wasn't a shred of sheetmetal, and the ECM was gone off the engine so no chance to run it). Now that I proved that, I have enough stuff coming to make it run properly (bigger single turbo with manifold and exhaust brake, air horn/plenum plate/rail installation parts, 50 hp '03-'04.5 injectors, and EFI Live to tune it to run the way it should). I fully anticipate shelling the G56 out of it-it makes noise and I don't anticipate it loving what's coming its way, plus the '05-'07 overdrive ratio is less than ideal for running empty-so I'm accumulating the parts to move my NV5600 out of the '01 in once this one goes away-hopefully over the winter. It's still going to need a few little tweaks as things go along to get it the way I want it to be, but they can come in time.

Here's a couple pics of the new one-if you see it rolling down the road hooked to a 5th wheel trailer and Lund boat, wave!

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Frankentruck!-dually1.jpg   Frankentruck!-dually2.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 PM
The Guru

Hey Jason, the front bumper looks familiar?

Hey let me know if you need a hand launch-in the lund, I'm getting more into fishing these days than into diesel trucks.

Next time I'm in Hanna I'll give ya a call, been workin a bit in the Settler area.

Cheers mon.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 PM

It's close to the old truck's bumper alright Mike, but actually built a little better. The '01 was a Ute, this one is an Excelaguard. Price was right and the OEM bumper is a lightweight piece of junk. Stettler's not that far from me either-drop me a line and we'll see if we can hook up. I have an S467.7 sitting in a box now waiting for the rest of the stuff to bolt it in. I've spent most of my time since spring came working on this thing and my new-to-me Alaskan trying to get it ready. Nowhere close to having everything done yet but it's time to enjoy days off for a change instead of spinning wrenches....

Jason
Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a work in progress for sure and it looks like you have a plan to get that truck up to your standards. I like the bumper as well, nice piece.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Hey Jason, the front bumper looks familiar?

Hey let me know if you need a hand launch-in the lund, I'm getting more into fishing these days than into diesel trucks.

Next time I'm in Hanna I'll give ya a call, been workin a bit in the Settler area.

Cheers mon.
How far out of stettler in which direction? I'm only half an hr down the road...bout time someone from here showed up in my part of the woods haha