ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Couldn't pass it up

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't pass it up

Hey guys!

Haven't been in here much lately, been dealing with the usual crap life throws at you, mainly career, health and such. As well as being able to put our "extended" fall to good use with the hay and grain sector.

Anyways, I dragged this old girl home today for a grand!

1992 Dodge Cummins extended cab, auto, loaded for the era. One owner, 360,000 kms, last 8 years, only used between May and September. The rest of the year it sits undercover in a shelter. The only time it gets started in the winter is when it is run through the shop for any mechanical that it needs.

I have driven it the last 6 summers during hay season and during that time, it's hauled balers and rakes around but no trailers that I know of. Usually the only thing it hauls is a slip tank and the lunch and beer coolers and a bunch of twine rolls.

The body, as you will see, is pretty much dead but workable. Drivers side is on the not bad side, passenger side was beat up by a upset bull.

Name:  IMG_2980_zpsd982a83d.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  66.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2982_zpsfe4c2166.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  71.8 KB

Not exactly sure what I am going to do with, it runs like a dream. Might knock the box off and just drop a deck on it, not sure. Dents can be knocked out but the door is a little tweaked

With the mileage, should or is the KDP a concern or was that for later versions?

Obviously have to dig a little deeper into the truck. It needs a few things and that is mainly why it was let go. Front end is getting a bit sloppy, brakes, shocks, and a u-joint that I know of. Previous owner figured it was time to upgrade a little instead of dropping the $$$ into this one.

I got the offer and ran with it. Figured I couldn't loose either way being I know the owner, know the truck and it's maintenance and I will be the second owner to boot.

Anything come to mind that I should look at or be concerned about? I really haven't paid much attention to the 12v stuff so I am a bit of a newbie in this area. Are there good pumps/bad pumps, is this one of them?

Feel free to throw some input this way if you like.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2013, 11:18 AM

I know very little about the 12V but my dads friend has one still and it get low to mid 20"s on the highway for milage.Nice score----a little "TLC", as good as new---the bull must have been a little intimidated by the mighty cummins ride.I am kicking my self because of a few years ago i passed on a early 90's reg-cab 2WD with 130,000Km on the clock,need brakes/tires/batteries and a good wash and wax for $2500---just no place to put it,the MRS might of tore me a new one if i came home with another truck.Cheers-----please keep us updated.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Other than mechanical, I will probably not do anything with the body, it's pretty well thrashed. If I can find a good sound body, then sure but it is just going to get driven the way it is.

Looking at the dents, for the most part, they can be pushed out from behind. Might make it a little more pleasurable to look at. An option is to knock the box off and drop a deck on it also.

Mechanically she needs a few things but not much, typical wear and tear stuff.

Had to laugh at myself today. As we Albertans know, we all got a dump of snow these last few day, in our case 14 inches worth. The old girl can use some tires anyways, but I had to move it to plow. Hop in, drop into reverse and just sit there spinning. Click it into 4wd and proceed to just sit there spinning!..........forgot these old girls have manual hubs....DUH!!!

She is an old truck that needs some Love but will live a pampered life around here. It's gutless compared to the 02 but is a blast to drive, especially being an auto truck.

Jeff
Old 11-08-2013, 04:17 AM

There is a minty (from pics) Chevy crew cab (80's) that would prolly do very nicely with an upgrade. On a different Alberta outdoorsmen forum. If I even think it wife will kill me. LOL.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Nice Jeff....glad to see youre still alive and kicking...

80's crew cab long box with a Cummins would be sweet....keep it out of the Bulls pasture though....