Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   ABDTR #5 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/)
-   -   Coolant System Flush? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/coolant-system-flush-294113/)

Lil Dog 09-08-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Tate (Post 3016236)
I found a good way of doing it this morning. Drive down the road at 110 km/h and have a coolant hose pop off. Cleans out the coolant pretty quick.

Ouch.. did you make it to site or are you home?

winkdemon 09-08-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tate (Post 3016236)
I found a good way of doing it this morning. Drive down the road at 110 km/h and have a coolant hose pop off. Cleans out the coolant pretty quick.

only thing with that is if cop see this you can be charged with clean up , had it happen to a customer , makes for a very bad day . i take it the truck was ok ?

Mike Holmen 09-09-2011 12:47 AM

Tate, how you make out?

Tate 09-09-2011 11:38 PM

One of the coolant hoses popped off my espar about 15 km east of Stettler at 6:15 in the morning. Hitched a ride back to town, bought a $1 hose clamp and $80 in coolant, as well as a water jug. Made it into to work 3.5 hours late, but otherwise unscathed. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, just my check gauge light came one. First one I looked at was oil pressure, which was fine, then looked at the battery, which was fine. Looked at the coolant, and it was pegged. Looked at my mechanical gauge on the bottom of the dash, it was at 220F. My fan never kicked on, but thats because there was no coolant in the rad. Filled it up (only took about 12 litres) and got back on the road. I don't think there is any damage. Once the light came on, I was pulling over and had the engine shut off. Weird thing is, I haven't touched my espar in 3 years, makes me wonder why it came off now. I'm thinking the 4500 rpm runs on the dyno didn't do it any favours.

1-5-3-6-2-4 09-10-2011 12:02 AM

I believe you're bang on there. I had an espar coolant hose blow off a 16v149 frac engine on a customers test stand. Lost a pile of coolant and into a city drain. Fire department was out and it was a big deal. There was supposed to be ball valves at the espar hose ends. To shut in the espar to prevent exactly that blow off scenario. But there wasn't any valves on this unit. And the guy from polar was just finished installing the thing. Woops.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Doj Dewd 09-10-2011 12:31 AM

holy that would make for a rough day!

i guess i should check mine - and try to keep my RPMs under 4500!!! :o

dvst8r 09-10-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tate (Post 3017075)
...I'm thinking the 4500 rpm runs on the dyno didn't do it any favours.

Time to clip that water pump.

Tate 09-10-2011 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r (Post 3017161)

Backing off the GSK I think is the first order of business. Its becoming undrivable, bucks like a mofo if I hit any sort of bump in the road. I'm talking like a slight frost heave. I have to have set on cruise to make it a decent drive to and from work. 70km each way. Gonna do that tomorrow after work I think. Those DV's have ruined the driveability of the truck at this point.

Lil Dog 09-11-2011 12:27 PM

I know my espar connections leaked for a while and I just kept snugging up the clamp. The hose they call for seemed too big at 3/4 heater hose to fit the heater. I was more worried about my hose connections under the hood than at the heater but better check for good measure.

You've got my cell#, use it!

Mike Holmen 09-11-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r (Post 3017161)

Are there different pulley sizes available for the pump? Might be a better long term fix than clipping. Could also try trim the impeller down some on a lathe.

dvst8r 09-11-2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen (Post 3017649)
Are there different pulley sizes available for the pump?

Not that I am aware of.

Tate 09-11-2011 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog (Post 3017554)
I know my espar connections leaked for a while and I just kept snugging up the clamp. The hose they call for seemed too big at 3/4 heater hose to fit the heater. I was more worried about my hose connections under the hood than at the heater but better check for good measure.

You've got my cell#, use it!

Heater hose in my kit was 18mm. It was quite a bit different than what came in Jason's kit that I helped install. The difference a couple years makes in the product. I did think of calling you that day, but a couple of the guys I work with are staying in Stettler as well, they were about 20-30 minutes behind me (I have to go in early), so I would've bugged them first. A little less out of the way than it would have been for you. I'll give you a shout when I finish up out here though.