ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

ARP 625 Custom Age Headstuds #247-4204

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, always good practice to tap out threads. Don't want to gall the threads. Especially on the studs, since those aren't as easy to remove if they decide to pick up in the block. Good luck getting the head off with a stud stuck in the block.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 PM

625's are awesome! When you finally lock them down to 155 ft. lbs they literally "lock" down. You can't feel them stretching at all like you do with the regular ARP's. F'n sweet stuff man. No worries of blowing a head gasket at all.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by han solo
The tap is 6" long, its called a pulley tap. Not sure what pulley would have a set screw that big or take that kind of bolt. I use a 1/4 drive 8point socket to turn the tap. Even @ work when doing a head gasket or rebuild the block is tapped to make sure the threads are nice & clean. Nothing worse when pulling 340ftlbs & the head bolts are making bad noises when tighten them. Trade school was all threads tapped to make sure there is no issue later that cant be taken care off before it goes together. I did them 1 @ time with head still installed. I used nut cracker on the threads of the tap, then used shop vac with plastic air line duct taped to suck out the holes. Not really a fan of blowing air down the hole, I cant stop all the crap that comes out of there from going were it wants to. Like into the engine, there always seems to be an open hole for it to fall into to.

Scott, what size 8 point socket is required for that tap?

I do not have 8 point sockets but I do have the Lisle kit that has square tap drive to 3/8" ratchet drive. I never seem to have room for a T-handle when for tapping anything I am working on.

I usually use low pressure compressed air with a vacuum when doing this type of stuff.

Originally Posted by trefling
625's are awesome! When you finally lock them down to 155 ft. lbs they literally "lock" down. You can't feel them stretching at all like you do with the regular ARP's. F'n sweet stuff man. No worries of blowing a head gasket at all.
Thanks Trefling, that's my plan. Lock the heads down with studs, a re-torque or 2 & then forget about them.

Originally Posted by pistazie
Yep Joe, I think that sums it up! But do let me know when you are doing this, I would make the trip down to see how its done.

Daniela, while I was initially joking about a "head stud" GTG, maybe we could work something out. You are more than welcome to come down to Cgy when I'm working on my truck this spring.

I'm thinking early May depending on the weather.
Once we've done one truck, the 2nd one would be easy & take 1/2 the time.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:53 PM

the snapon guage and adapter are more expansive then the blue point. but look to be much better quality. the snapon guage is 252 and the ISB & ISBe adapter is 146. he said hed knock 10% off though.

the snapon stuff and the bluepoint stuff are not interchangable. the connections are not the same. the Snapon uses standard 1/4" air fitting quick connects. the bluepoint uses some kind of unique to itself 1/8" junk.

i borrowed a tap from a guy on here from Texas. that is a standard tap that has a 3/8" extension welded on the end. it looked proffesionally done in a lathe and the joint was machined smooth after. not some backyard bubble gum junk. mailed it up and I mailed it back. it was awesome.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:00 PM

say what size thread is it? do you use a tap or thread chaser, or are those the same thing haha, hopefully i'll be installing mine soon when they show up
Old 12-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel

Daniela, while I was initially joking about a "head stud" GTG, maybe we could work something out. You are more than welcome to come down to Cgy when I'm working on my truck this spring.

I'm thinking early May depending on the weather.
Once we've done one truck, the 2nd one would be easy & take 1/2 the time.
That'd be great...if you don't mind be hanging around
Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Lol, what was the original topic of this thread again?!!

Luke,

Any chance you can order me the Snap-on compression gauge & the ISB/E compression adapter? 10% off is nice. I can bring you cash to your shop before you order so no risk to you.

I have thread chasers but none in metric that's needed for the Cummins block. Typical thread chasers are really short with a hex head that wouldn't fit while the head is still on the block.
I just realized that the ARP 12 point nuts are 14mm not 9/16", so I need a 1/2 drive, 12 pt, 14mm deep socket to torque the studs down nicely with minimum adapters on the torque wrench.

KennyBlatz, where are you located?

Daniela, I totally don't mind.
We will have to discuss this further. We could certainly install your head studs, plus whatever else you have, in my garage.
We have lots of room at our house if you wanted to bring your family down also to make a w/end of it.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:14 PM

That's really generous of you thank you - we can discuss again once it starts to get warmer....
Old 12-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Its needs to be 12pt 1/4 drive 8mm or 5/16. The tap sockets are too big & wont go into the hole in the cylinder head.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:14 PM

[QUOTE=StealthDiesel;2651951]

st.albert i didn't realize my location wasen't up there.

all the chasers i saw were as posted to short so im just going to make my own chaser and then clean/shop vac out the hole with a tube.

pistazie im sure stealthdiesel knows more about it then i do but if you want a shorter drive i hope to be doing my studs in the next couple months hopefully weeks. i would be happy to help with yours.......if mine goes good haha if not i'll just let you know what not to do
Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 PM

Lol, OK KennyBlatz, I will keep that in mind, thanks for the offer - I did not realize you were in St. Albert. I'm hoping to do studs, springs and injectors all at the same time, but its a budgetary issue for now - I think April/May is the earliest realistic goal for me. Let me know how it goes if you get this done before that!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Luke,

Any chance you can order me the Snap-on compression gauge & the ISB/E compression adapter? 10% off is nice. I can bring you cash to your shop before you order so no risk to you.

I have thread chasers but none in metric that's needed for the Cummins block. Typical thread chasers are really short with a hex head that wouldn't fit while the head is still on the block.
I just realized that the ARP 12 point nuts are 14mm not 9/16", so I need a 1/2 drive, 12 pt, 14mm deep socket to torque the studs down nicely with minimum adapters on the torque wrench.

We will have to discuss this further. We could certainly install your head studs, plus whatever else you have, in my garage.
We have lots of room at our house if you wanted to bring your family down also to make a w/end of it.
Sounds like this is turning into a "stud party"----maybe i should of kept them(kidding)Glad you have all kinds of help/advice on how to do the job right.PS----got a brand new Mac torque wrench(max250lbs) the bro-law bought for me last Christmas if need----he thought i would need it for installing the studs on my 01().
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by pistazie
Lol, OK KennyBlatz, I will keep that in mind, thanks for the offer - I did not realize you were in St. Albert. I'm hoping to do studs, springs and injectors all at the same time, but its a budgetary issue for now - I think April/May is the earliest realistic goal for me. Let me know how it goes if you get this done before that!
ah ic yeah common rail springs and injectors would not be my department. no problem just thought i would throw it out there i've gotten alot of help/breaks from guys on this forum just trying to do the same now that i have learned alittle.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:45 AM

Luke,

9/16" is only about 0.011" bigger than 14mm. When I did mine, I used the 14mm on the torque wrench, and the 9/16s on a breaker bar or ratchet to loosen them off, so I didn't have to keep switching sockets. Put a 3" extension on if needed, deep sockets aren't needed as long as you get the studs in deep enough. If you are pulling your injectors at the same time, don't even need the extension.

That tap you want is an M12x1.75mm.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Luke,

I'm a guessing you sold the regular APR's Joe?

Quick Reply: ARP 625 Custom Age Headstuds #247-4204