Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   ABDTR #5 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/)
-   -   5 speed to auto...anybody want to trade? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/5-speed-auto-anybody-want-trade-222490/)

greenworks 11-05-2008 10:01 PM

5 speed to auto...anybody want to trade?

Being there are so many new members on here now I will throw this out again. The older members have known I have been looking for a person to swap my 5 sp manual for a auto (lots of guys far away interested but not closer), reason mostly is wifey however lately I have been even starting to think her way....but you didn't hear that from me.

Anyway looking for a 01 ish truck to do a proper switch steering columns,consol etc so it looks stock. As you can see in my sig I have a very STRONG setup that has not been abused or raced. I built it to tow a 5th wheel and boat but never ended up setting up the trailer to accept a boat being I was to long by inches[duhhh]. We have since sold the 5th wheel so I really am set up for overkill for what I need.

I have looked at other trucks but I have a soft spot for mine plus it is in perfect shape with 215k on the clock.

Stock auto or modifed is fine we can negoaite a trade value for parts.

Jason:cool:

Tate 11-05-2008 10:24 PM

Talk to Mike Holmen, he keeps talking about doing a 5-speed swap in his truck.

Mike Holmen 11-07-2008 08:16 AM

If you can swing it, look into an 1500 allison 5 speed. It should bolt right in there and work very nice for towing. As for swapping out my auto, not going to happen until this one blows. DTT, told me this is the last auto I'll ever need, I just have to buy the hard parts for each wreck, from now on. I wish I put in an Allison. They sure work nice behind the duraweaks. To put in a dodge tranny you need lots of little stuff to get it to work, the dodge wiring harness is messy issue same goes for the kick down stuff. The Allison is a direct bolt with its own computer harness. Find a bell housing off a 5.9L bus and you might even find a tranny cheap for a core. I wish that I bought my truck new with an stick, my wifey pretended that she wanted to drive it. I think she has drove it about 100km out of the 240000km. I'm afraid she would put my truck into a house or something like that. On icey roads my truck like to do donuts in gear and at idle. I've trained it well.[coffee]

cLAYH 11-07-2008 08:50 AM

Want to trade trucks? My dad wants a truck just not a dually. Could put your goodies on my truck and tehn sell it to him in stockish form. Or just buy my mine, do the swap then sell it if you don't want a dually.

greenworks 11-07-2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen (Post 2271301)
If you can swing it, look into an 1500 allison 5 speed. It should bolt right in there and work very nice for towing. As for swapping out my auto, not going to happen until this one blows. DTT, told me this is the last auto I'll ever need, I just have to buy the hard parts for each wreck, from now on. I wish I put in an Allison. They sure work nice behind the duraweaks. To put in a dodge tranny you need lots of little stuff to get it to work, the dodge wiring harness is messy issue same goes for the kick down stuff. The Allison is a direct bolt with its own computer harness. Find a bell housing off a 5.9L bus and you might even find a tranny cheap for a core. I wish that I bought my truck new with an stick, my wifey pretended that she wanted to drive it. I think she has drove it about 100km out of the 240000km. I'm afraid she would put my truck into a house or something like that. On icey roads my truck like to do donuts in gear and at idle. I've trained it well.[coffee]

What do you think the cost of this would be? and would it be a floor shift or could it be made to a column?

Homestead 11-07-2008 10:25 AM

I'm in the same boat, I'm just tired of shifting!

I have a lead on a wrecked (rolled) 02 auto that I'm chasing down and I'll go that route.

I have owned mine since new and will always keep it so I want the swap done "factory" looking and want it done right

So there might be a NV5600 coming up for sale soon if this all falls together.

Jeff

cLAYH 11-07-2008 01:54 PM

Did the short shift kit make much of a difference? Did you need to upgrade the hydrualic system with the SB clutch?

Homestead 11-07-2008 05:06 PM

ClayH

Not sure if your directing the question to me but yes the short shifter did make a big difference. The throws are not as long and they are now very much more car like. It isn't any faster at all, just shorter.

I didn't have to upgrade to the HD hydraulics from SB but I did. There is a noticeable difference in pedal feel, it's a lot lighter. But I am not sure how much the new (second) SB changed over the first one I had installed with regards to pedal feel so I can't tell you what difference the SB hydraulics actually made, but all in all, it is way better than stock. Sitting in traffic is not a chore anymore, I'm just tired of shifting that's all.

Jeff

Mike Holmen 11-07-2008 09:51 PM

Greenworks, you want a really nice 12v ride auto truck? I heard that Ratsun is selling his ride off. He has it set-up as a pretty nice driver. A very clean vancouver truck, with a fresh engine in it. I'm still not sure what to do with mine. Mines not a clean ride and has a few dents in it, so its not worth much. I would have parted it out earlier in the year, but now I'm in pretty deep. I kinda looking for an very clean early 98 quad cab ride 12v with a 5 speed stick, original and very clean with no rust. The Allison stuff would not be cheap, but would be a decent tow tranny.

JHansen 11-08-2008 08:36 AM

And I'm in the other camp....I'm looking for a wrecked 5 spd. Dakota to convert mine over-can't stand the automatic! I like to shift for myself I guess.....

I'd like to try the short shift kit to see what difference it makes. I noticed a difference in clutch pedal effort every time I've changed clutches-either they keep making the pressure plate springs lighter or something happens in the wear process to make the pedal harder. Jeff, probably don't need to tell you this, but your 5600 is a pretty valuable piece when the time comes to sell it. When I killed mine, the best deal I could find for a used one was around $2300 or so IIRC from the wreckers at Legal. Was lucky enough to buy a complete powertrain for a good deal better than I would have done buying separate-course I didn't find that until after I had mine rebuilt. Looks like I finally have the tranny and transfer case sold anyways. Just a matter of resealing my original engine and selling it after that.

Mike, dream big! [roll] Swap a CR engine and the Allison in there. Might as well do the 271 transfer case at the same time....it's only time and money, right? [duhhh] I have to live vicariously through someone else now as the mod train has pretty much stopped rolling for me. Still got a couple little things I want to do-but no major stuff now I don't think.

Jason

roxxx 11-08-2008 10:51 AM

Not trying to highjack thread

I to am looking for 5 speed for my 1992 4x4 (mine is tired)

cLAYH 11-08-2008 12:02 PM

Good luck on that! Those old Gertangs are getting hard to find. MY buddy sold his '90 to wrecker who wanted it mostly for the Gertang. Had the tranny sold before he even dropped it off. Truck was in good shape as well with only 23X km!

Might want to look at a NV4500 upgrade from a 2nd gen truck. Of course you could probably just buy a new 2nd gen truck for just a bit more.

BTW the guy in Pincher creek that I'm buying my engine from has the tranny available as well but its an '03.

StealthDiesel 11-08-2008 12:14 PM

Greenworks,

Waveman(Brad) who lives in Crossfield went from auto to 5 speed NV4500 in his '98.5 24V.

At the AB get together in Red Deer, I think he still had his auto tranny and related parts for sale.
He did mention his conversion was quite straight forward.

I'm not sure he is on this forum but he is on the Cummins forum. Here is a link to his profile.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/member.php?u=38421

Good luck, Joe...

Tate 11-08-2008 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by JHansen (Post 2272395)
I'd like to try the short shift kit to see what difference it makes.

Come out to Airdrie and you can see the difference between a short shift and stock. My dually is the short shifter, 12v still is stock. It is quite a difference. These are 5 spds, of course, so it might be different from the 6er, but should give you a good idea.

greenworks 11-08-2008 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH (Post 2271658)
Did the short shift kit make much of a difference? Did you need to upgrade the hydrualic system with the SB clutch?

I installed the short shift when I was running a SBC Con fe it does help reduce throw very easy install 1/2hr max. The hydraulics are a must with a DD the thing is murder even with upgraded hydro in stop and go. I ran the SBC Con OFE and fe with no upgraedd hydro with no problems.The DD "rattle" drives me nuts as well, but when the MAD ECM was still working and when the comp was set to kill it light's the tires with ease in 3rd[guitar]

I washed the old girl up today and man I just don't think I could sell her:p plus pulling the ski boat to the shuswap just wouldn't be the same without her.... the hour of cleaning black soot of the boat I wouldn't miss much though[coffee]

I will keep my options open on this still, I just have a lot in my drive train and really don't feel like dropping a bunch again to go to a auto

Jason