4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Will diesel fuel additives in a 6.7 wreak stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will diesel fuel additives in a 6.7 wreak stuff?

I have seen this argument before and I am wondering if anybody can shed some light on the discussion for the 6.7s.

I personally run about a 1/2 a bottle of Power Service Diesel Kleen (Winter Edition) for every 2ish tanks of Diesel in my 2012 during the winter months.

I am now working overseas (Month in, Month out). So the month that the truck sits parked I top up the tank and add a 1/2 bottle and run the truck. (10 min drive from the gas station to the acreage).

Winters here can get to an easy -30 to -40 plus. Thought this would help maintain fuel quality and anti-gel durring the cold. Especially the month that it sits.

I was in the dealers the other day, conversation came up, and was told that any type of diesel additive will wreck (burn up injectors, etc) in the 6.7s and that no additives are needed on these engines.

Any thoughts? Any other ideas you would do if your truck sat for a month?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As long as it is TCW3 Ash Free then you should be Good to GO!!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both of my trucks love Opti-Lube, but the '06 still get a dash of TCW3 two stroke every so often.

-Kris
Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I recommend the TCW3 "Ash Free" two stroke.

I don't use it but that's because I am out on deployment. After about 6-7 months of detailed research that is what I believe to be the best option. Obviously there are countless additives out there but for the $$ its hard to beat.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ran two stroke and Lucas from time to time in my 08. Right at 80k when I traded it. Never had an issue.

Aint been home to run much of nothing in the new one.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the stanadyne additive up to par for the dpf systems on these trucks? I ask because I just got my new '12 and I bought a whole case before I sold my 5.9 and I wanna use it up, my 12 valve doesn't cover enough miles to use it up lol

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.095094,-111.771867
Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 PM

I wonder if the dealers telling customers that no fuel additives is just a ploy to try and prevent fuel system warranty claims from guys who put the wrong additives in IE ATF, used engine oil etc etc. I got the same speech from the salesman when I bought mine. Mind you this the same guy who told me synthetic oil was bad for my engine and it wouldn't run right

Power service claims their additives are safe for DPF equipped trucks, this is from their website.

"1. Is it safe to use Power Service diesel fuel additives in diesel particulate filters, diesel oxidation catalysts and/or EGR engines?

Yes, use of Power Service diesel additives is safe for use in all diesel engines. "

"2. Will use of Power Service diesel additives void my manufacturer’s warranty?

No, when used as directed on the container label, use of Power Service diesel additives will not void any engine manufacturer’s warranty. Power Service is the largest manufacturer of diesel fuel additives in the USA and our products are used most often by diesel engine owners. Additionally, our products are sold through many Original Engine Manufacturer (OEM) dealers and service centers. "
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Here is the response from "Stanadyne's" Website on their Fuel Additives for the new trucks:
__________________________________________________ _______________
Q. Are Stanadyne diesel fuel additives compatible with high pressure common rail fuel systems and will they harm exhaust aftertreatment systems?
A. Stanadyne diesel fuel additives are compatible with all types of fuel systems and will not harm aftertreatment systems.

You guys can go to this website to read further:

www.stanadyne.com

For what it is worth, I have a 2006 Dodge CTD CR and I have over 120,000 miles on the truck now. I bought it new and have run the "Stanadyne" Performance Formula in my truck every tank full since new. No fuel problems at all.

-------
John_P
Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM

I hate third or forth person recommendations, but there was a Bosch engineer quoted (see what I mean) on another board who said Stanadyne only. I don't know except the owners manual says not to use any and the Ram owners website suggests only the Mopar additive.

I have yet to find a good, clean source of fuel around here, but so far mixes of 20% bio-d is all I can find.

A couple weeks ago I had my tractor running and added one ounce of Howes to the tank - in just about 30 sec. the RPM smoothed out, the motor quieted a bunch and stopped smoking so much.

As a little help with this bio-soup, I've been using a couple ounces of Howe's in each full tank in the Ram. I just found a dealer for Stanadyne and bought a bottle. I just wish we knew for sure where we would stand if there is a problem.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry I am posting a bit late on this topic. I don't get much time any more to spend on here, so I thought I would share my experience:

When I bought my truck (still lived in Montana at the time) I used the AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate Plus Cold Flow Improver during the winter and my truck ran great with zero issues during the coldest days, not even a slight hiccup. Now that we are a bit south and west, I have been running just the Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate with no issues as well. I went a few thousand miles not running anything, though I didn't notice any problems, it did seem that once I started using the additive again, the engine ran smoother. It could be just me thinking that though. I use it every fill-up (since about 15k miles ago) now and won't run it without. I now have about 34k miles and counting.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Thumbs up Power Service " White Bottle"

I used Power Service in the white bottle in my 08 since day one in every tank load and now I still use it in my 2011 every tank load year round and I have NEVER EVER had a PROBLEM!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 AM
RCW

All the additives that state they are for diesels with the particulate filters are safe to use.

The dealers are just covering themselves to avoid the ongoing problems with injector failures and the under cost allowance for warranty work. It is the old, always blame something external for the failure so you can charge more than the warranty allowance to replace the injectors!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THX for the info.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
The Guru

Been running power service additive for years, just know we get ripped off up here in Canada. I pay about $15 for a litre of stuff, last month I bought the same jug for $7.99 in Great Fall Montana.

The real fix is to run extra fuel filters. Not sure if the stuff actual does what its claims though.