4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Sirius/XM radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sirius/XM radio

I have the latest radio system in my 2014 Dodge Ram truck which is a Canadian model. I must add that this radio was replaced under warranty last Feb.

I also had a 2010 Dodge Ram truck which also had the latest radio and this radio was for the most part ran seamless with very few dropped signals in the four years I had it.

I just returned from my two weeks vacation in British Columbia and this radio was horrible with dropped signals at every turn, and my old system did not do this and I was in the same area.

My one year free subscription is over in August and I have already received a notice to renew which I won't do unless there is a fix.

Is there a possibility that I might have a bad antenna? I paid a lot of money for this truck as all of you folks have and I find this unacceptable.

Any advise appreciated.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had Sirius since '05. But not a factory integrated one. I use the star mate box and adapter. I've had to replace a couple antennas over the years. When my antenna went bad both times it was because the wire got messed up. I was able to order a new one both times through the flying J truck stop online store. Only other options I found at the time was to buy a whole new car kit. It has been a few years since I had to purchase a new antenna though.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:11 AM

I've had the same thing with our 2014. The Sirius reception is very spotty - dropping in and out around corners and up and down hills. The old truck never seemed to do that. I've been thinking about setting up a side-by-side comparison with our other vehicle to try to determine if it is the truck or the Sirius signal itself, just haven't gotten around to doing that yet. Plan on asking the dealer when I take it in for inspection later this month, but don't hold out much hope that they will be able to do anything. I agree it is very annoying to have it drop out like that. I know this doesn't help your situation... just commiserating.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by VACHZHD
I've had the same thing with our 2014. The Sirius reception is very spotty - dropping in and out around corners and up and down hills. The old truck never seemed to do that. I've been thinking about setting up a side-by-side comparison with our other vehicle to try to determine if it is the truck or the Sirius signal itself, just haven't gotten around to doing that yet. Plan on asking the dealer when I take it in for inspection later this month, but don't hold out much hope that they will be able to do anything. I agree it is very annoying to have it drop out like that. I know this doesn't help your situation... just commiserating.
Thank you, I see it appears to be a real problem. I also spoke to two other people when I was out in British Columbia with the same year truck and they had the same problem. One guy couldn't care less as he was not a fan of satellite radio but I am and I like my music. I have to go back to my dealer in two weeks for my second service and take it up with them. I have until August 16th before my subscription runs out.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just came back from holidays BC and Alberta with old model Sirius and no problems dropping out!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
Just came back from holidays BC and Alberta with old model Sirius and no problems dropping out!
I thought I was not going crazy with my comment on my 2010 Ram. Now I know, thanks!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
The older "SIRIUS" only units are on a different set of satellites. We have folding stairs in our garage, with a multitude of junk stored upstairs. My wife's 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited HEMI 4x4 will play inside WITH all of the stuff upstairs and WITH the aluminum garage door down.

The "SIRIUS/XM" units just don't have the reception abilities. I can wash my '14 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW and almost block out the signal with my wash mitt.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 AM

My one year free subscription is over on Aug.12 and I received a phone call from Sirius to renew. I told the guy about my problem and he tells me that they are having problems with my model truck. I don't think I believe him but I put in a complaint to Dodge customer relations and was given a file number and told to take it to my dealer which I have an appointment on Monday morning. I know I am wasting my time but I have nothing better to do plus I have an issue with my drivers seat so thought I would kill two issues at the same time.I will not renew my Sirius subscription unless there is a fix and I love my Sirius music.

I am not a radio expert but I have a feeling it is an antenna issue.