4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rock Chip Protection Tradesman Crew Longed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rock Chip Protection Tradesman Crew Longed

Hi all,

My new truck is getting closer and closer on the rail-line. I am thinking about my options for preventing the rocker panels and hood from getting completely beat up. I like the idea of the 3m film product. Has anyone installed it themselves?

Are there any other options I should consider?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on my 04, I had the rocker panels Line-X'd and that has worked out great. My '11 has two tone paint and I like how it looks, so I am not sure if i want go that route with it yet. I would recommend line-xing the rocker panels.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I put it on my 15 dually. It's a real pain. Watch videos and instructions. I did mine all by myself. Would be easier if you had a helper. Really hard to get it stretched enough by yourself. Mine turned out pretty good for my first stab at it. I'd do it again.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also went the Line-X route. It's pricey but the lifetime warranty is nice if you ever have any peeling or color fading. Lots of guys I work with have the 3M and it looks good but they didn't do it themselves. If you're going for a clean street driven truck I'd do the 3M, if you are off road and want heavier protection I like my line-x. Mine goes up across the hood, fender flares and underneath them, the whole bottom of the body up to the line on the doors, rocker panels all the way back inside the rear behind the bumper, up inside the doors to the carpet, inside the door lip up to the weather stripping and inside the body panels under the truck where they could get it without removing them. Its been there for a year now and I have only had to get one touch up done where the color looked different and it was no questions asked, just fix it.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The precut 3M clear bra is easy to install and after 9 years and 140kmi on my 07 it is still intact save for a couple big rock dings that went thru the film and it lifted a tiny bit.
Most of the miles are living in the mountains summer and winter, lots of sand n gravel on the roads in winter.
That and some good low hanging mud flaps will keep the rockers and lower panels from getting hammered. I have way more rock chips on the hood and upper half of the panels than the lower panels and rockers because of mud flaps.
Save your $ on the linex IMO. Aesthetically it doesn't appeal to me, but to each their own.
Get a bottle of touch up and fix the chips every spring and you won't have issues.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the Ram rubber type mud flaps, all 4 , and the basic wide, black molded platform running boards to protect the bottom. Clear bra on the front and behind the rear tires. months and 45k miles and rockers are in good shape.