4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rear windows and sliding windows not working.. HELP PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear windows and sliding windows not working.. HELP PLZ

Truck is a 2011 Ram 2500 SLT CC 4wd. The rear windows won't roll down from either door switch or the driver door switch. Sliding rear window will not open either. I tried replacing the drivers door main switch with no changes. I noticed when i press the rear window switches while the switches are illuminated, they lose their illumination (where the front switches continue to stay illuminated during use). Anyone have any ideas? This is really getting on my nerves, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the wires at the door hinges. They can kink and break.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by marathon
Check the wires at the door hinges. They can kink and break.
How difficult is it to access these wires? And does the rear sliding window also run through the door?
Old 06-09-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it possible a fuse is blown? Or relay?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by kerry.king
Is it possible a fuse is blown? Or relay?
I wish it was... they all run off the same fuse/relay at 25A... my front windows work fine
Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM

checked all of the wiring... its all fine... I just dont get it... rear windows AND the sliding rear window... fuses all ok, new drivers door master switch didn't fix it.. ***? Any more ideas?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FakeBakn3
checked all of the wiring... its all fine...
What method did you use to check wiring???
Old 06-21-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have access to a scan tool or a laptop with autoenginuity or similar? You can connect to the OBD port and look to see if it the truck is seeing the switch inputs. That will help determine if it's the switches or a faulty TIPM module. I think the rear door wiring is much better in the 4th gens than it was in the 05-09 trucks. My 07 had that happen at least once a year whereas the 12 hasn't done it yet and I open my back drivers door about 40 times a day (work truck, tool pouch lives behind my seat) Sometimes these electrical gremlins are worth paying a shop, not necessarily the dealer, to do a quick scan tool diagnostic so you at least know what to look for.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You definitely need to get a scan tool on your truck. I'm looking through the FSM and it has codes for nearly every type of window electrical faults.

Test is essentially as follows, but not all inclusive:
1. With scan tool, record and erase DTCs
2. Wait 30 seconds
3. Operate passenger window switch in both directions several times
4. With scan tool, read active DTCs.

Once known if the there are DTCs, there will be a few other paths to go to test for shorts, open circuit, or other faulty part.

As for the rear sliding window, that module, if it gets extremely hot, won't operate..contacts getting worn out. At least that is what is happening with my truck. This past weekend I had to turn the AC to high and point the vents to the roof to cool the module down. Once it cooled off a bit, the window closed. Sometimes, I have to press the switch to a certain position to get it to close as well.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is a bit more info:

Based on what you originally stated, it is highly likely there is a fault in the driver door module as it monitors the inputs from the door switches. Either way, still best to get a scan tool hooked up. If you were in Vegas, I'd be glad to hook up my AutoEnginuity Scan Tool to see what is going on.

DOOR MODULES
DESCRIPTION
This vehicle is equipped with two electronic front door control modules (1) (also known as a Driver Door Module/DDM, a Passenger Door Module/PDM or Front Door Multiplex/MUX Modules), one each on both the driver and passenger front doors. Each door control module is concealed behind the front door trim panel where it is secured through two integral mounting tabs (2) to the door hardware module carrier by two screws. The front door control modules are located in the upper front corner of the front door hardware carriers, just below the mirror flag area of the front door.

Each door control module contains a microprocessor and is connected to the various switches on that door. In the case of the driver side module, it communicates with some switches over a Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus. Both the driver and passenger side module also receive various hard wired switch inputs and provide numerous hard wired outputs to various devices located on their respective doors. In addition, both front door control modules communicate with each other and with other electronic modules in the vehicle over the Controller Area Network (CAN) Interior High Speed (IHS) data bus system.

Concealed and protected within the molded plastic door control module housing is the printed circuit board and the other electronic circuitry of the module. The front door control modules are connected to the vehicle electrical system through up to eight connector receptacles that are integral to the module housing.

A door control module cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if damaged or ineffective, it must be replaced. The door control module software is flash programmable.

OPERATION
The microprocessor-based electronic front door control modules (also known as a Driver Door Module/DDM, a Passenger Door Module/PDM or Front Door Multiplex/MUX Modules) contain logic circuits that monitor various hard wired low current, multiplexed inputs from the power window, power lock, power mirror and memory switches on their respective door. They also receive Controller Area Network (CAN) Interior High Speed (IHS) data bus electronic message-based external inputs from the opposing front door control module as well as from other electronic modules in the vehicle. The front door control modules also monitor hard wired power window motor Hall effect sensors and memory mirror position sensor inputs.

In addition, the front door control module on the driver side front door receives electronic message inputs from the driver side front door switch module over the Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus network. The program logic within the front door control module allows the microprocessor to prioritize all of these inputs and determine the tasks it needs to perform. These tasks are then completed either by controlling hard wired outputs to the various motors, actuators or lamps on its own or the rear doors, or by sending electronic message requests over the CAN-IHS bus to the appropriate electronic module in the vehicle.

The front door control modules are powered by a fused B(+) circuit and are grounded at all times so that they can operate regardless of the ignition switch position. Both driver and passenger door control modules provide active and stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) through On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) and communicate with a diagnostic scan tool using the CAN data bus.

The hard wired inputs and outputs of the front door control module may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. However, conventional diagnostic methods will not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the electronic controls and communication between modules and other devices that provide some features of the power window, power lock, memory, interior lighting or exterior lighting system features the front door control modules provide. The most reliable, efficient and accurate means to diagnose the front door control modules or the electronic controls and communication related to operation of these systems requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.