4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ram Brand Engineer Q&A 6/29/2010 6:30-8 PM Eastern

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Evening Gentlemen, and Ladies.

First off I would like to say Thank You for taking the time to come and speak with us.

My first question is, what is the future of the emissions equipment. Does it look like Dodge/Cummins will eventually be going to the Diesel Exhaust Fluid for Catalytic reduction or stick with the current EGR system.

Second question, what is the likely hood of getting a factory integrated winch option on the new models.

Thank You again for your time. I am about to leave the office and make the run home, but will be on later and I am looking forward to the replys.

Blake
Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for being on line!

Why won't you build a NON COMMERCIAL version of the 4500?

Ford F450 is the only option other than a Freightlinner or a coverted Class 6 Single Screw Tractor, with its rating of 34,000lbs Gross Combined Weight.

Set up for towing, a 3500 can tow within a 1000lbs, what the 4500 can do, because of its much heavier weight which goes against it Gross Combined ability. The new 3500's can exceed the 4500's towing ability in GCWR, being lighter in weight with more hp and torque. Why buy a 4500??????? Non CDL drivers can drive it as well with its rating under 26,000lbs.

I understand your NON CDL Driver thing for the 4500/5500, but that don't help us out here that wants to tow a 19,000lbs fifth wheel or other load of that size or larger, and don't want a common Ford with its V8 Junk.

Be Advised if a inline 6 every goes into a Ford, such as John Deere, Volvo or Mann, Dodge will suffer greatly in sales without the GCWR
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you looking for a 4500 pick up?
Originally Posted by CoastalDav
Thanks for being on line!

Why won't you build a NON COMMERCIAL version of the 4500?

Ford F450 is the only option other than a Freightlinner or a coverted Class 6 Single Screw Tractor, with its rating of 34,000lbs Gross Combined Weight.

Set up for towing, a 3500 can tow within a 1000lbs, what the 4500 can do, because of its much heavier weight which goes against it Gross Combined ability. The new 3500's can exceed the 4500's towing ability in GCWR, being lighter in weight with more hp and torque. Why buy a 4500??????? Non CDL drivers can drive it as well with its rating under 26,000lbs.

I understand your NON CDL Driver thing for the 4500/5500, but that don't help us out here that wants to tow a 19,000lbs fifth wheel or other load of that size or larger, and don't want a common Ford with its V8 Junk.

Be Advised if a inline 6 every goes into a Ford, such as John Deere, Volvo or Mann, Dodge will suffer greatly in sales without the GCWR
Old 06-29-2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark

First off I would like to say Thank You for taking the time to come and speak with us.

My first question is, what is the future of the emissions equipment. Does it look like Dodge/Cummins will eventually be going to the Diesel Exhaust Fluid for Catalytic reduction or stick with the current EGR system.

Second question, what is the likely hood of getting a factory integrated winch option on the new models.

Thank You again for your time. I am about to leave the office and make the run home, but will be on later and I am looking forward to the replys.

Blake
The 2011 Ram Chassis Cab currently uses DEF fluid as far as future products I can't comment.

As far as a factory winch option, we can look into it.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
14. “Why is the overhead ‘Average Mileage’ so far off and different on most all trucks?? (other than the obvious)”

This should be within +/- 0.5mpg.
Another factor that I see throwing some owners off is tire size. If you have installed larger (or smaller) tires on your truck without the appropriate changes to the control modules, this can cause inaccuracy.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark

Blake
The new 2011 3500/4500/5500 Ram Chassis Cabs do use Diesel Exhaust Fluid for emmissions reducution

Regarding your 2nd question, we will consider this option for future products
Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ram Engineer #5
Are you looking for a 4500 pick up?
Yes, one that will tow a 19000lbs to 23000 lbs fifth wheel trailer in the near future
Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Hey everybody, how about this?

Would you consider adding a fuel economy or power switch ?. It would be really simple, when in economy mode the truck would have reduced power, more timing, more torque management, maybe earlier shifting. This would all create less emissions thus putting less soot into the DPF requireing less regens.
The power side would have the trucks full power, less torque management, hold gears longer, and remind you that you have a Cummins under the hood. You could have a Cummins logo on the dash that would change color with each selected mode, how cool would that be???

Also, please bring the donkey ear wide mirrors back, the standard trailer mirrors fliped up do not offer the visibility with chassis configurations like a cube van box.

Thanks for the time, my 5500 just got to 200,000 kms with little problems, accept leaking axle seals, I just recently broke the drivers side tie rod end.
The Aisin could have more positive shifts........
Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Chapter President

I would like to know if dodge has fix the dash issues. Every dodge in the past has had a dash that started to crack and fall apart with in the first 5 or 6 years. Dodge is the only one that has this problem, is it poor materials to start?

Also why is it so hard for dodge to understand the mistake and willingly replace the bad dashes from in the older trucks?

Thanks,
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Understand. We will take that into consideration in our future products

Originally Posted by CoastalDav
Yes, one that will tow a 19000lbs to 23000 lbs fifth wheel trailer in the near future
Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ram Engineer #5
Understand. We will take that into consideration in our future products
There are a few thousand people waiting for this.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ram Engineer #10
The 2011 Ram Chassis Cab currently uses DEF fluid as far as future products I can't comment.

As far as a factory winch option, we can look into it.
To further clarify, the 2010 Ram Heavy Duty Pickups with the Cummins Diesel do not require DEF fluid and fully meet the 2010 Federal emissions requirements. We believe this is a huge competitive advantage over our competitor's pickups. The 2011 Ram Chassis Cab diesels do utilize an SCR system that requires DEF to meet the Federal emissions requirements. The Chassis Cabs have to meet a different test procedure than the pickups and all manufacturers have chosen DEF as the best solution. It is believed that the next change in Federal emissions requirements would be 2013 model year or later.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins610
Hey everybody, how about this?

Would you consider adding a fuel economy or power switch ?. It would be really simple, when in economy mode the truck would have reduced power, more timing, more torque management, maybe earlier shifting. This would all create less emissions thus putting less soot into the DPF requireing less regens.
The power side would have the trucks full power, less torque management, hold gears longer, and remind you that you have a Cummins under the hood. You could have a Cummins logo on the dash that would change color with each selected mode, how cool would that be???

Also, please bring the donkey ear wide mirrors back, the standard trailer mirrors fliped up do not offer the visibility with chassis configurations like a cube van box.

Thanks for the time, my 5500 just got to 200,000 kms with little problems, accept leaking axle seals, I just recently broke the drivers side tie rod end.
The Aisin could have more positive shifts........
The fuel economy switch although seems simple requires multiple emissions maps for the engine and in all drive cycles may compromise compliance. We would rather focus our attention to improve fuel economy all around.

In regards to your comments on the mirrors we will look into that.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
18. “Why is the intake on the head designed so poorly? #1 and #6 are very restricted compared to the other 4...”
You may be surprised to learn that the flow of the runners in the cylinder head was optimized for the Ram HD (read that as airflow to support the torque, horsepower and emissions needs) through extensive analysis. The design also simplifies underhood packaging and service.

We significantly improved our interiors beginning with the 2009 RAM 1500 truck. Material quality, fit/finish, and features are at a premium level. Check one out. You'll be impressed!

Quick Reply: Ram Brand Engineer Q&A 6/29/2010 6:30-8 PM Eastern