Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/)
-   -   Ram Brand Engineer Q&A 6/29/2010 6:30-8 PM Eastern (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/ram-brand-engineer-q-6-29-2010-6-30-8-pm-eastern-272537/)

Lary Ellis (Top) 06-28-2010 02:54 PM

Ram Brand Engineer Q&A 6/29/2010 6:30-8 PM Eastern

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/DTR.jpg

The Q&A session will be held here live in this thread Tuesday 29th of June 2010 6:30-8PM Eastern.

Lary Ellis (Top) 06-29-2010 04:52 PM

Below are questions community members at Diesel Truck Resource forums have posed to the Ram and Cummins engineers. Please note that all questions are posted “as-is,” the way they were posted by community members within the Diesel Truck Resource message board.

1. “Why didn't they put the automatic window switches in ALL positions on the driver’s panel? You know the switch for the driver’s side window that you flip and release and it takes the window all the way down without holding it.”

Auto up windows require pinch detection which adds significant cost. We chose to add this to the front window. The Fords do not have this feature at all and in fact only have auto down on the driver’s window.

2. “Why won't you build a NON COMMERCIAL version of the 4500?”

What is the request for?

3. “Crew Cabs, Is there a factory solution for the wind noise buffering around the doors to body seals more notably noticed driving at speed in slight crosswind conditions, this drives me crazy... While my truck was in its warranty period 3 different dodge dealers could not adjust the doors or replace the door seals to resolve the issue. I have noticed this issue in many of the dodge Crew Cab trucks 2002 + models.”

The new model Rams, 2009+1500’s and 2010+ 2500/3500’s, all have triple door seals which greatly improve this condition. Unfortunately, these do not fit an older model Ram. Typically, your current truck can be improved with some door frame adjustment and refit.
4. “What are your thoughts on Bypass oil filters and fuel filtering systems?”

5. “What are your thoughts on preventive maintenance, i.e. fuel injector cleaners, fuel additives, etc.?”

6. “In addressing these issues and in the interest of keen competition while keeping costs down, I offer the following as items that make me look at Ford or Chevy instead of the RAM:

a. Locking front hubs

Why would you want these over a shift-on-the-fly system?

b. Selective locking differentials

The Powerwagon has locking front and rear axles but at this time this is the only model that these are available.

c. The 4500 non-commercial option as described elsewhere

d. The Aisin transmission as an option in non C&C trucks

The Aisin trans is significantly more expensive and designed for commercial usage. For the pickup duty cycles the 68RFE has performed very well since its introduction in Jan 2007.

e. A premium interior package that competes with Ford's King Ranch (Sorry, but even as RAM has improved over the years, RAM's best is still no comparison to the KR and frankly, next to price, that is my biggest draw; quality and comfort and relative luxury within the cab)

The Ram team and many magazine reviews have agreed that the new Ram is in fact superior to the Ford interiors overall. The Ram Laramie has a softtouch instrument panel and upper door trim (Ford KR – No), Ram has an upper glove box and luxury car type stitching on I/P (Ford KR has huge slabs of plastic with no use), Ram has auto up and down front windows (Ford KR – No), Ram HVAC controls are large, easy to read, operate and reach (Ford KR – complicated, small buttons and difficult to reach), Ram has heated steering wheel (Ford KR – No).

f. #1-- better fuel mileage
We are contantly making improvements and are very competitive with Ford or Chevy and much better than Toyota or Nissan. Our most capable V8, the Hemi, offers the best of both worlds with supreme horsepower and torque and still delivers 20mpg. To get that in a Ford or Chevy you have to buy 2 trucks.
7. The question I have is: can we get the above?”

8. “If the ram truck can be tuned aftermarket to run better and get better fuel economy, why isn't it done from the factory to begin with?”

The aftermarket doesn’t have to meet Federal emissions requirements and some of these changes can affect the durability and longevity of the powertrain.

9. “Specifically fuel filtering, there has been internet talk that Bosch requires 2 micron filtration for the cp3, but my truck came with a 10 micron, and later a 7 was available. Is 2 micron required?”

10. “05 Dodge, 1 word. EPA. Here is something I hear a lot. I want the Mega cab but it only has the 6ft bed. If they would only build...

a. Can there be a Work truck package for the Mega cab?

Possibly, if there is enough interest.

b. Can there be automatic UP electric windows? Audi has them.

The new Rams have auto up and down for the front doors

c. For the 2wd trucks, optional front air bags?”

We must meet Federal standards for safety so the air bags cannot be optional.

11. “Could they design and build a Cummins powered Power Wagon with solid axels,5 or 6 speed stick, heavy duty clutch, reg cab no frills truck, leaf springs, again, lock out hubs. With the ability to take the pounding snow plowing gives out. Basically an actual Power Wagon rough service one ton or ton and a half with an old Power Wagon look, that is what I would like to know.”
The weight of the Cummins diesel would exceed the axle weight rating of the locking front axle. This would require a full development of a new axle and we believe for the Powerwagon usages, that the 5.7l Hemi performs extremely well and that there are no occasions where additional torque is required.

12. “Why put a clutch in these trucks that is marginal even at stock hp/TQ? And what about that fuel pump? Same deal...as stated earlier shouldn’t the factory filter be 2 micron?”

13. “Why is the factory rear hitch so under rated as compared to the truck? Why not install a rear 2"(or 2.5" like the Chevy) that is matched the capacity of the truck?”

We are considering a class 5 hitch for the future

14. “Why is the overhead ‘Average Mileage’ so far off and different on most all trucks?? (other than the obvious)”

This should be within +/- 0.5mpg.

15. “Why no lockouts?”

Why have them?

16. “Any reason why, for the 06+ models, only a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty was offered, unlike the previous years?”

17. “Non-greasable ball joints?????? Really...”

Over the years, we have found these to be more of a problem due to dirt and water intrusion. Not everyone does good maintenance and we believe that most customers are better off with lube-for-life ball joints.

18. “Why is the intake on the head designed so poorly? #1 and #6 are very restricted compared to the other 4...

19. “Can we get locking hubs back?”

Why?

20. “Can we get ball joints that can be greased?” ...”

Over the years, we have found these to be more of a problem due to dirt and water intrusion. Not everyone does good maintenance and we believe that most customers are better off with lube-for-life ball joints.

21. “I have heard of a 7-speed manual being developed with 2 OD's, a towing and empty ratio (similar to the auto), is this true?”

Not as far as we know.

22. “What’s with the grill not lifting with the hood on the 2010's? That is one of the best things about the older Dodge trucks; under-hood access on the 2010's is greatly reduced. “

Changing the grille to be body mounted vs. hood mounted was done to improve the aerodynamics and fit and finish of the truck. If you compare, the new truck have very tight gaps and this reduces drag while also improving the appearance.

23. “Will the 2010 body mounts fit older trucks?”

Not too easily, the holes are different and the older truck might not have a large enough mounting pad. With some modification they might fit and would provide improved isolation.

24. “Why is the rear bumper metal rolled so thin? I drive on some (not much) gravel roads at 40 mph and there are LOTS of stone dent marks from the inside of the bumper to the outside. It does not look impressive on such a nice truck.”

Weight reduction is important to maximize payloads and fuel economy. We’ll take a look at your concern to make sure it is robust.

25. “U-joints. I know better ones HAVE to be out there. 2500 miles past my drive train warranty and 2 are shot. Not happy about that.”

26. “Front end parts. Why does Ford, who has a live axle front end as well, seem to not have the premature wear issues that we have?”

For 2011MY, U-joints have been upgraded heavy duties. Front and rear driveshafts and on the wheel ends of the 4WD front axles. New seal designs also improve the life by 40% (based on environmental testing).

27. “It would be nice to have an answer on whether an egt gauge is even needed on a stock truck. A stock boost gauge would be nice too.”

The exhaust gas temp is monitored by the engine controller which can also take action if there is an over temp condition. No need for one.

28. “How about putting in a radio 'bay ' in the center of the dash, like airplanes have, where your CB, Ham, custom audio, computer, etc. can be mounted without having to cut up plastic?”

We use a common instrument panel for all Rams so offering this bay would have to be done to all and we believe most of the customers would prefer the current setup.

29. “I was wondering if Chrysler, with help with their new Italian friends (Fiat) might get together and start bringing other products to America. Fiat makes a lot of diesel commercial trucks.”

Thanks for the input, we’ll keep that in mind.

30. “Has anything been done to address the very poor A/C systems on the new trucks? All of the 03 to 09 trucks have the same poor sorry design. I haven't even went and looked at the new trucks due to this reason. If you don't know what I am talking about, it is the blowing hot on the passenger side vents and cold on the driver’s side due to low refrigerant. The reason it has low refrigerant is because the high side spikes to 450-500 psi on the first crank of the day in hot South Ga. humid heat and pushes the refrigerant right out. I'm not paying $40,000 for a new truck to go through this crap again.”

The 2009+ 1500’s and the 2010 2500/3500’s do have a new HVAC system with improved performance. So far, customer feedback has been very good.

31. “When are you going to get a marine type fuel filter setup? Warranties are being denied left and right due to bad fuel (water in the fuel). No water in fuel light has come on at all to indicate such. I feel an attempt was made with the new fuel filter but it is extremely lacking in my book. The only way to really do a good job is to place a Fleetguard FS1000 on the vacuum side of the fuel pump and then a good 2 micron filter at the engine. So, an external fuel pump will be needed. This is another reason I have no new truck and don't want one. With the one I have now, I figured what the heck, you’re gonna try to deny any warranty anyway, so the heck with it, I'll do what I want, have fun, and fix the junky crap on my current truck.”

32. “Why have you gone away from greaseable frontends?”

For 2011MY, U-joints have been upgraded heavy duties. Front and rear driveshafts and on the wheel ends of the 4WD front axles. New seal designs also improve the life by 40% (based on environmental testing)

33. “I read that the new 6.7 was rated at 400 hp. Why was it so detuned?”

The 6.7l has always been rated to 350 hp, your information source was incorrect.

34. “Will you try to make improvements for those of us that have 5.9 trucks 09 and older that have real issue that well are fixable like the wind noise caused by poor quality rubber molding?( look at a Ford or GM the rubber vinyl is a much better density and holds up for years)Mine has collapsed as ever ones else it just doesn't hold up. Ball joints that fail at 50k.”

We’ll look into this.

35. “When will there be an automatic transmission put behind the Cummins that can actually handle the power? I'm not talking aftermarket power either; the factory transmission cannot handle the stock output of the motor.”

Since Jan 2007, the new 68 RFE 6 speed automatic trans has been behind the Cummins. This trans has performed very well in the field and customer feedback has been very good.
The 68RFE transmission has had a great track record in the field since it launched in ’08. Give it a try.

36. “This is not engineering related and will probably be dismissed and I understand that but maybe...just maybe someone at RAM can give me an answer as to why they think it’s good business to restrict a warranty because I imported to Canada from the USA. The other guys do not do this.”

37. “For a technical question...why do the 6.7 injectors cost so much more than the 5.9 common rail injectors? I need to know the technical answers to justify the $1200.00 per injector [or more].”

38. “We keep hearing how customers will not buy one, yet people all over are going out of their way to stuff them in themselves. Most get really close to 30 MPG, and while they don't pull 18,000, what is the market for a useful 30 plus MPG truck?”

39. “I'm on my fourth dodge 3500. I get a new one every two years so I have a little to compare to. I've noticed on my current truck the bed is much flimsier than any previous truck. I had an empty propane tank bounce a few inches in the bed and it left a few really big dents. Is it just thinner or weaker material?”

We have had the same bed inner metal since 2003 model year. Even the new Rams with the new exterior styling have the same inner bed metal. We have had excellent results and have even checked with fleet users who are very hard on their trucks and they have not had a problem with the beds. We now offer a factory applied spray in bedliner that is really durable and should help provide some protection.

Actually, the material is the same as before. We now offer a factory spray in bed liner that is not only skid resistant and scratch resistant, but always provide some decent protection against dents.

40. “Why not a two speed axle in one ton? Had a 65 IHC with one- sure helps fuel mileage.”

We agree. Thanks for the input, we’ll keep that in mind.

Lary Ellis (Top) 06-29-2010 04:57 PM

I would like to welcome all of our guests from Ram and Cummins tonight :)

Now is the time to ask the questions you may have . Please use this thread for your questions.

Ram Engineer #7 06-29-2010 05:07 PM

Ready for questions guys ........

Ram Engineer #10 06-29-2010 05:07 PM

Hello everyone, Ram Engineer #10 is ready to answer your questions.

Ram Engineer #3 06-29-2010 05:08 PM

Hello

Hello from Engineer #3 - Glad to have you join us!

Ram Engineer #6 06-29-2010 05:08 PM

Hello

Ram Engineer #5 06-29-2010 05:08 PM

Hey there guys

Cummins Engineer #1 06-29-2010 05:10 PM

Good evening and thank you for giving us the opportunity to chat with you. It is great to be among enthusiasts of the Cummins Turbo Diesel and Ram trucks, and we are looking forward to your questions.

Ram Engineer #1 06-29-2010 05:10 PM

Ram #1 is ready to reply.

Ram Engineer #4 06-29-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 2793669)
I would like to welcome all of our guests from Ram and Cummins tonight :)

Now is the time to ask the questions you may have . Please use this thread for your questions.

Ram Engineer #4 is ready! No pizza here yet so I'm available for questions.

JustRamIt91 06-29-2010 05:13 PM

back on # 27
everyone seems to put an egt and boost gauge in their truck, aleast 7 out of every 10 cummins trucks i see have at least those two. How come you won't put one in? The computer monitors it right... how hard is it to put a gauge in that people want and make it look nice from factory, not a bigger sight obstruction on your A-pillar.

Cummins Engineer #1 06-29-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 2793667)
5. “What are your thoughts on preventive maintenance, i.e. fuel injector cleaners, fuel additives, etc.?”

Preventive maintenance is critical in ensuring the reliability and durability of your engine. It is of the utmost importance that you change the oil and oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter as outlined in the Owner's Manual. I cannot stress this enough--your engine's longevity truly depends on it.

When it comes to fuel additives, they should not be needed not needed for the Cummins 6.7 as long as you are using good quality ULSD fuel.

Cummins Engineer #1 06-29-2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 2793667)
9. “Specifically fuel filtering, there has been internet talk that Bosch requires 2 micron filtration for the cp3, but my truck came with a 10 micron, and later a 7 was available. Is 2 micron required?”

The fuel filter on the Cummins Turbo Diesel in the Ram truck was engineered to meet the current Bosch requirements. The change from 10 micron to 7 micron was made as enhancements in media were available to provide additional robustness for particle separation. While it is easy to focus just on micron rating, filters are typically rated as a particle size and an efficiency at that particle size. The Mopar fuel filters, which are recommend for use when you service your vehicle, are nearly 100% efficient at the advertised micron level, and have capability of capturing much smaller particles although the efficiency will be lower.

Ram Engineer #10 06-29-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by JustRamIt91 (Post 2793683)
back on # 27
everyone seems to put an egt and boost gauge in their truck, aleast 7 out of every 10 cummins trucks i see have at least those two. How come you won't put one in? The computer monitors it right... how hard is it to put a gauge in that people want and make it look nice from factory, not a bigger sight obstruction on your A-pillar.

The gages are not required for you to monitor these critical parameters. The engine and vehicle monitor these values for you. As far as a factory installed gage package we value your input and will consider that possibly for future products.