4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Buying: 4th Generation Versus 3rd Generation

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying: 4th Generation Versus 3rd Generation

We need a hauler / family truck. I think a 2WD Dodge Mega Cab with manual transmission could be a good fit. I want to weigh the pros and cons of a 3rd generation truck versus a 4th generation. For my comparison I'm looking at the 5.9L equipped 3rd gens, since they should be priced lower.

3rd Gen (5.9L) Pros:
  • Cheaper, can be found ~$25K in 2WD
  • 5.9L more easily modified for power
  • No DPF or EGR
  • Larger rear doors on the Mega cab?
4th Gen Pros
  • New, no questionable history
  • A/C problems fixed?
  • Better interior?
  • Hydraulic cab mounts
  • 1.5" taller grill aids cooling, sacrifices visibility
  • The top door cuts have been moved down from the roofline to the sides of the cab
  • Triple door seals
  • Integrated diesel exhaust brake
  • Lower finance rate
I wonder if incentives will get to $6K+ off like in previous years? What pros/cons am I missing?

I appreciate any input.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Couple of things....

If you want an "emissions free" 5.9 you will need to find an early '04 or older. The started adding emissions equipment mid-year in '04.

The older 5.9's get better mileage. My modified '03 can spin the tires on the 5-6 shift and gets 21-22 MPG on the highway.

Just the same....I am going to give a new one a try.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nevada
If you want an "emissions free" 5.9 you will need to find an early '04 or older. They started adding emissions equipment mid-year in '04.
I see, so since I want a Mega cab, which came out in '06, all the 5.9s would have emissions... but less emissions than a 6.7?

Originally Posted by Nevada
I am going to give a new one a try.
Please give a review once you get your new truck. I know I'll have to order one to get a manual, or fly out west...

Thanks for the post!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 PM

In cylinder egr isn't an emission problem on th 04.5 - 07 5.9s. There are a lot of these trucks that get comparable mileage as the 03 - 04s. The real emission components show up with the 07.5s with DPFs, EGRs, and more complex CATs.

Last edited by p035970; 01-23-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Give Dave Smith Motors a call if you order. 70% of their business is out of state. They'll also have an enormous inventory when production catches up.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by p035970
In cylinder egr isn't an emission problem on th 04.5 - 07 5.9s. There are a lot of these trucks that get comparable mileage as the 03 - 04s. The real emission components show up with the 07.5s with DPFs, EGRs, and more complex CATs.
So the CAT would be the only emissions device on an '06? I searched but can't find a breakdown on years / emissions components. I doubt I'll find a reasonably priced used '07-'09.

Originally Posted by Danderson
Give Dave Smith Motors a call if you order. 70% of their business is out of state. They'll also have an enormous inventory when production catches up.
Thanks, I will check them out, they are a huge dealer... a long way away from the east coast but if they will cut a deal it could be worth it.

On the new versus used question; is there a mileage / price point you guys would balk at? For me a 3rd generation 2WD Mega at $25K can't have more than 40K miles. I know these trucks can go 300K easy but at that price the truck needs to have low mileage.

I'm also leery of a truck with add-ons like programmers, intakes, etc. I don't have a problem with the add-ons, but they indicate a truck that's been worked harder... at least that's my logic.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck on that 5.9 Mega find with low mileage. They are hard to come by and if you do find one you better act quickly or it will be sold. Dave Smith is out West, not east.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Danderson

I bought both of my trucks from Dave Smith, sight unseen. Great people to deal with, even when one of their sales folks accidentally backed into the bed of the '06 that I bought from them. They offered to fix it (no charge, obviously) or get me into something else with the same equipment with no questions asked. They even e-mailed me photo's of the repair process and told me I could back out of the deal anytime I wanted and get me something else.

Black SLT '06 QCSB with only 28k when I bought it, there was no chance I was backing out of that deal.

Kris
Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM

I spoke to Dave Smith Dodge, their prices seem really good, but they will only have 4WD trucks in stock (it's Idaho after all), I'd have to order a 2WD. Which means their best deals are on 4WD trucks.

Are there other giant dealers that might stock a 2WD / Mega / manual trans truck?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chree....you should just consider going ahead and getting a 4x4. They do cost a little more up front..........but no matter when you sell it, it will always be worth that much more...and easier to sell to boot.

Then you have the insurance of having 4wd...and 4 low when needed, particularly when towing...even in campgrounds....wet grass etc. I don't really do any off-roading per se.....but I have had lots of situations come up where the 4wd came in very handy. (backing up a hill, pulling through a sandy spot etc.)

IMO, they look alot better too. The positives just outweight the very few negatives.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Chree....you should just consider going ahead and getting a 4x4. They do cost a little more up front..........but no matter when you sell it, it will always be worth that much more...and easier to sell to boot.

Then you have the insurance of having 4wd...and 4 low when needed, particularly when towing...even in campgrounds....wet grass etc. I don't really do any off-roading per se.....but I have had lots of situations come up where the 4wd came in very handy. (backing up a hill, pulling through a sandy spot etc.)

IMO, they look alot better too. The positives just outweight the very few negatives.

I agree... We have a 4x4 Ram, and although we never offroad, having 4x4 has helped us get through some tough situations.
Plus, it has a stock lift a few inches higher than the 2wd which not only gives better ground clearance, but also a better look.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Special order.

Yeah,a 4wd will cost a bit more initially but the resale value more than makes up for it. New ones have the updated steering and oversized steering gears also. The interiors are way more comfortable than the '03-'09's. Special order it if they don't have exactly what you want. DSM is well versed in so's. They'll e-mail or call you weekly about the order status. All DMV papers are complete for your state also. I'm down here in San Diego and got mine from them.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 AM

I appreciate everyone's advice. I need to do what I tell everyone else shopping for vehicles - do a test drive. My fear with a 4WD is the reduction in ride quality... so I need to drive a 4WD and a 2WD back to back. The trick is finding time for a test drive... my wife is a CPA in the middle of busy season, so if I want the whole family along for the test drive Sundays are the only option...

I do agree 4WD is good insurance, I'm sure there would be wish-I-had-4WD moments owning a 2WD. The current deals on 4WDs at Dave Smith are significantly better than ordering a 2WD: $5450 difference in MSRP but only $3230 difference in price.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM

I've always owned 4x4s.

Even for those who don't use it often, when you need it you really need it. As posted resale picks it all back up.

My 2010 4x4 runs on rails on the Interstate. Quiet, smooth and vibration free.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
...and 4x4s are generally easier to resell. MPG's aren't that much different from a 2wd. No reason for a 2wd CTD in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Buying: 4th Generation Versus 3rd Generation