4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Old Cummins guy with new truck, Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Cummins guy with new truck, Questions

Had a very weak moment on Black Friday. Bought a 2016 3500 SRW Crew LB 4x4. Very impressed with fuel economy (20) for only 3000 miles. Questions
Power window lock. I locked the windows using the master switch, the dog hit the passenger front switch and almost killed him. The dealer said the master lock only locks the two back windows. Is that true? I find that hard to believe.
Radio. Comes on every time I start the truck. Annoying!!! According to dealer that is correct. He said a bunch of other circuits run through the radio. Is that right? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
On my 12, the window lockout locks out all but the drivers side. You have to pullup on the switches to raise the window. Did the dog step on it and lower it then jump out?

My radio is the simple kind with *****. I wanted the fancy screen kind so i could have the navigation. I have heard that alot of things run thru the fancy dancy radios like ac controls. There has been a post or two about these. One where the radio has gone bonkers and the owner has lost most of the ac control. I'm sure it's like anything and some work forever just fine and some give you trouble. The wife's Kia has thin kind of radio. It has gone bonkers several times. The first time the dealer sent a flatbed to come get it and had ot for several days. The second time instead of calling them again, I spent a day researching it and found out this one had a tiny micro hole on the front and that it is a reset. A tiny wire poked in there pushed a reset switch and all is good. Personally, after learning this, I would most likely steer away from a vehicle with this kind of radio. Unfortunately you loose the ability for a backup camera without it. So my plan is to change my plain jane radio soon with a Kenwood unit that has the screen and has camera inputs. I think the one I have my eye on has two camera inputs. If it does, I'm going to get two cameras and point one to where I can watch the contents of the trailer when I have it or I'll point it down to be a hitch cam for hooking up the trailer. I'm also going to make sure all can be used while driving. I'm choosing the Kenwood because it has an apps feature that is really just an extension of your phone. I'll sync my phone with it then us google maps and have my navigation like that.

Once you aver the fancy tyop radio, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as going aftermarket. I haven't found out if there is a reset procedure for them yet. Funny, I never noticed the tiny micro-reset hole on her radio before. Now I see it plain as day every time I'm in there.

Dont let me make you regret your radio. Enjoy it and enjoy that new truck. I sure do like my 12. I imagine a brand new one would be real nice.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I do construction in the boonies so I'm driving 25 30 mph. The well trained dogs like to hang out the windows like they have always done in my 06 where I lower the windows for the dogs and use the master window lock. I did this in the 16. Dog in the front passenger seat somehow hit the switch causing the window to go up and caught him in the neck - which would never have happened in the 06. Dealer said master lock does not lock the front passenger window. A real step backwards if that is true.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son's dog uses the rear power slider.