4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New Bilstein 5100 Shocks Installed - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
New Bilstein 5100 Shocks Installed - WOW

About a month or so ago I thought the right side of the front axle was leaking (oil on the driveway). After making an appointment with the dealer, I decided to investigate further. Thankfully, it wasn't the axle, but rather a blown seal in the shock. I cancelled the appointment since I didn't want the factory shocks anymore.

So I finally ordered some Bilstein 5100's (front and rear) last week and installed them yesterday. It took me about 4.5 hours to do the job, with 3.5 of those hours on the front. I couldn't believe how much of a pain it was. After fighting the right side for about 1.5+ hours, I got smart and lifted up the right side by the frame to fully extend it on that side (did the same on the left). That made the job way easier since you have to practically be a gorilla to compress those shocks.

I am really glad I chose those shocks, it was definitely money well spent. The truck handles better than it did when it was new. The last few months it kind of felt like I was driving a boat or something and every time I backed out of the drive way the front end would bounce about 5 times. Now, ZERO bounce and the truck doesn't dip when braking.

I definitely recommend these shocks to anyone looking at replacing the factory ones for any reason. You will not regret the upgrade!

@ 33,500 miles - this truck rides better than it did when I drove it off the lot when new.

I also bought the 5100 steering damper, however it is on backorder until March.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironically I was just looking at those today online but didn't pull the trigger because the side for "off-road" use. The original yellow Bilsteins said they were supposed to be for towing/hauling, which is obviously what this beast will be doing. However, I think I might look into these again. I know the Chevy guys on my last forum swore by them.....Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:48 AM

Out of curiosity, where did you see the "off-road" use at? I went back to look at the application pages on Bilstein's website and didn't see it anywhere.

I ordered mine from eshocks.com. They were only about $6 more each than the yellow 4600 series. So for me, it was a better buy. They also shipped free.

So, no more contemplating, bite the bullet and order the 5100's. You definitely won't regret it! The plus side using the 5100s is that I can raise the front up to 2" and the rear 1". The 4600s don't allow that, if I were to get a leveling kit.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM

I was looking to buy them on SDtrucksprings.com, I purchased my Firestone airbags from them and was gonna pull the trigger on the shocks to but decided against it. I wanted to shop around to because they want to charge me $25 shipping. I am going to check out the website you suggested.

I think this is a done deal, just need to log on and get them bought....I will remember your suggestion on putting the front shocks on also, that didn't sound like a fun experience..LOL I like were your head is on the 5100 - future leveling kit thought to....got me thinking more and made it an easier decision.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM

How do you like the airbags? Yeah man, those shocks are AMAZING! I can't believe how much better the ride is. Every bump in the road the truck seems to just glide right over them now. I wish I would have put Bilsteins on my wifes Aspen (if they have them) rather than the Monroe shocks.

Be sure to remove the battery first for the side you are working on. It will make it much easier. I also found removing the intake helps a bit for the right side. I didn't need to remove the battery trays.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Would you mind sharing the part number that you used? I'm looking at the chart they have which shows lengths and strokes, etc. but not application. AmI missing it?

Thanks,
Larry
Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM

Most definitely! Bilstein's product guide was a little confusing when I first started researching them. The part numbers are below. Enjoy!

24-185776: 03-10 Ram 2500 / 3500 - 4WD - Front Lift: 0-2.5 inches Bilstein 5100 Front Shock

24-191203: 03-10 Ram 2500 / 3500 - 4WD - Rear Lift: 0-2 inches Bilstein 5100 Rear Shock

33-170794: Bilstein 5100 Steering Damper

Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Thanks Buddy!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM

AHHHH! Steering damper came into today. Got it installed, now it is complete!

What to do now...so much on the list...probably grid heater/intake stuff is next
Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 6.7L MegaCab
How do you like the airbags? Yeah man, those shocks are AMAZING! I can't believe how much better the ride is. Every bump in the road the truck seems to just glide right over them now. I wish I would have put Bilsteins on my wifes Aspen (if they have them) rather than the Monroe shocks.

Be sure to remove the battery first for the side you are working on. It will make it much easier. I also found removing the intake helps a bit for the right side. I didn't need to remove the battery trays.

I've seen comments about 5100's being a stiffer shock in other threads and considering Monroe reflex for better ride. Now more confused, again.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kilroy
I've seen comments about 5100's being a stiffer shock in other threads and considering Monroe reflex for better ride. Now more confused, again.
They are a stiffer shock, but they absorb better than the stock shocks. I remember when I first bought my truck, even though it was brand new, it still had a slight bounce to it and over time it got worse and when the right front went bad, it was the perfect time to research and buy.

I feel that the 5100s let me essentially glide over the bumps and the security humps/bumps that I have to negotiate getting to work and unlike our old family E350 van that would jar you all over the place, this still has a very pleasant ride and it doesn't bother my wife.

I put the Monroe Reflex on my wife's Aspen. Even though they are a VAST improvement over the OEM shocks, they are noisy when doing anything that causes the shocks to do there job, especially when backing out of the drive way. It could be because there aren't any springs up front, but it sounds like it comes from all 4 corners.

If I would have remembered about Bilstein when I bought the Monroe shocks last year, I would have bought the Bilstein's instead.

I know for the most part Monroe shocks/struts are pretty decent since that is what we installed (among others) when I worked at Tire's Plus many years ago and we never had customers complain. But in my case, I would return them if I could.

Hopefully this helps with your decision.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Would you mind sharing the part number that you used? I'm looking at the chart they have which shows lengths and strokes, etc. but not application. AmI missing it?

Thanks,
Larry
I was having the same problem till I came to this thread. Thanks 6.7L Mega Cab, Stargeezer. I did find a note on a website during my search for these shocks that said the Bumper Stops on the rear axle would have to be modified to keep the shock from being damaged. Im guessing if your truck is stock you need to move the stop up to decrease the travel?
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 PM

I know I am a 5.9 owner but I just installed the 5100's on my truck this week and I am very pleased. It took forever in the cold driveway because I also added a Daystar comfort ride leveling kit but was well worth it. I would buy these again and again.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the same set-up on my truck but when going over rail road tracks or bad bumps I got tremendous bed/rear end shudder. Since adding airbags that has gone away 100%. Plus without pressure my truck is level and with 100 PSI my truck is 7" higher. Imagine the load I can now carry