4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Nav system

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nav system

I bought my 2010 Laramie with Navigation system on 2nd of July and find that a major (new) road in my city is not on the system and has been open for a year now. Does anyone know if you are entitled to at least one free upgrade in the first year of ownership? The parts dept say they will sell me a upgrade disc for 300 bucks!?!?!? I have not talked to the service dept about this, but was wondering if anyone knows a number that a person can call at Chrysler to get an answer?

I also found a website called MyGIG.com that will give you a pirated version but I really don't want to go this route unless I have too.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently not intitled to the new updated map that is out there. The map can be purchased for $199. at navtec I believe.I think that would be the same price the dealer has to pay. I figured I'd wait at least a year before bringing this up to my wife. One would think that a 55K purchase with a $2K upgrade would include up to date maps....
Old 10-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NB64
Apparently not intitled to the new updated map that is out there. The map can be purchased for $199. at navtec I believe.I think that would be the same price the dealer has to pay. I figured I'd wait at least a year before bringing this up to my wife. One would think that a 55K purchase with a $2K upgrade would include up to date maps....
I totally agree with you.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 PM

Do you have the 730 or the 430 system? I think the 730 is the one that they are phasing out and I was told that the other system will be Garhmin(sp?) based and I think that one may be satellite based. If you look around you may be able to find someone at t he dealer that can call the district rep and see if they are willing to allow you to get the most updated maps as of the date of purchase. It usually takes a few years for the new roads to get incorporated into software based systems.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok, dont know why but here is my story.

I purchased a 2008 Durango Limited with the MyGig nav for the wife in June of 2008.

Never inquired about it, but guess what showed up in the mail a few months ago.

2010 Map update discs. Dont know why they were sent, maybe I won the MyGig Lotto or something....
Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 PM

That makes you a lucky man Blake.... Most systems guarantee updated maps for a certain time after the system is purchased. I have the 730 system. On my portable Garmins you can purchase life time maps for just over a hundred dollars. I regularly up date my two portable units. Hopefully for you guys they will offer that with the 430 system. This navteq system gonna run 200 bucks a year if you want to keep current. I think I'll go every other year.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be ticked too... WOW..... New truck, old NAV maps....That's crazy.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 AM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Ok, dont know why but here is my story.

I purchased a 2008 Durango Limited with the MyGig nav for the wife in June of 2008.

Never inquired about it, but guess what showed up in the mail a few months ago.

2010 Map update discs. Dont know why they were sent, maybe I won the MyGig Lotto or something....
Wonder if that disc would work in anyone's NAV system.
Also wonder if it would be copyright infringement to make copies and give them to friends??
Just wondering.
My 09 challenger could probably stand an update!!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Wonder if that disc would work in anyone's NAV system.
Also wonder if it would be copyright infringement to make copies and give them to friends??
Just wondering.
My 09 challenger could probably stand an update!!
You know, after thinking about it last night, and wondering if I just didnt notice and assumed they were 2010 updates, I had the wife send a pic of the disc.

Yup, its 2010. Got em free. Randomly free. Dont even know why.

Im not sure how that would work as far as putting them in multiple units, but if Rog has an older set of maps Ill give it a try (whenever I can manage to get home) and report back.

On Edit: I didnt do the update to the Durango, the wife did. I just looked at the disc when they came in...

Is this indeed the Map Update or is it a software update?

Now Im curious.

Name:  fba68902.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  97.2 KB
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 AM

They usually can not be used in multiple vehicles because they become either vin locked or serial number locked. You would be able to reuse it for the same radio but not in another unit. Unless copying it before hand helps. But some how that would be too easy...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how it can VIN lock unless the reader is a read/write to save the VIN or any other info. Once a regular DVD is written, it is written and any alterations is a new disk.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Picked up new 300C SRT8 this weekend, and it has the same map "errors" (or omissions) as my '10 Ram. But I can't get too upset - the internet mapping options Mapquest and Google also have similar errors/omissions. They must get some of this data from the local entities, who (especially in CA) are so far behind in everything they do, due to cutbacks etc...
I have three Chrysler/Dodge products with NAV systems in MyGigs, and for some reason only one seemed to generate a new CD sent to me - a 2008 Charger (sadly, it's been totalled). Not sure why others don't generate new CD's...