4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Looking at buying a 2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at buying a 2012

The good/bad and ugly of 2012 6.7s? What fuel mileage with auto,3.73 gear and 2wd?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Id say, once broken in, you should see around 14 in town and 17-18 on the highway, driving conservatively.

Expect around a 2mpg increase should you choose to delete.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM

With the truck in my sig I get 13.6 around town and as high as 18 if I keep it 70 or under. If I run 80 on the Interstate I can expect 13's. Big difference in 70 and 80. I have a 2012 3500 crew longbox 4WD with 3.73 and the auto and quite a bit of iron hanging off of it.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 AM

These forumns use to rock. No info on what problems with these trucks? Or not? I'll say after looking at the emission delete posts no wonder the the diesel is such a exspensive option. I can't believe all the emission crap. Haven't even bought the truck and I'm looking at what it will cost to remove it as part of the purchase price. I found all that stuff to really turn me off buying the truck.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hounddog
These forumns use to rock. No info on what problems with these trucks? Or not? I'll say after looking at the emission delete posts no wonder the the diesel is such a exspensive option. I can't believe all the emission crap. Haven't even bought the truck and I'm looking at what it will cost to remove it as part of the purchase price. I found all that stuff to really turn me off buying the truck.
The forums are still great, but, a few things you gotta consider.

1. The DPF issues have been discussed to death. A quick look around and you can find plenty of threads discussing it.

2. Same thing with the fuel economy.

3. Trust me, no one is happy with the emmisions system on these trucks, but it aint going anywhere. If you dont want to deal with it, no one is going to blame you, and I suggest you keep your '03
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 AM

The 03 isn't going anywhere. Its only has 48,000 miles. Its part of the business. Reining horse operation. Long ago paid for. Not one scratch or dent. Not one. I'm wanting to get and pull a bigger 5th wheel for me and me only and dislike driving a dually daily or for RVing. Plus the dually has got to be here. Wife took it over and in case of anything requiring a trailer the dually is it. I have a 2009 Quad Cab 2wd 5.7 with 3.92 gear that I like a lot! But can't pull what I want for RVing with it. I wanted to know how 2010/2011/2012 are doing. Engine,front end,not a high point i]n 2003.Brakes,AIR CONDITIONING which sucks on the 2003. In years past there would have been a flood of replies even if the subject had just been discussed. I was on this site and TDR for years. Maybe I need to pay TDR* and ask over there. Lost interest in modding one long ago. BUT I'd find it hard to live with all that BS for emissions that are hung all over those new trucks. Now if it was more Incorporated in the design and not looking like add on like a mid 1970 gas engine with smog pump,lines.egr,converter and such it would not be so difficult to live with.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
All of the boards have been slow for the last year or so. Economy I guess. A little more activity on cummimsforum.com. Lots of less knowledgeable folks on there (kids) it seems.

For me, I have been very busy.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM

For me I got sick and I got bored with diesel stuff. I wouldn't even be looking at one of those if I didn't want to have a house on wheels. Way to darn complicated. I understand clean air but come on. I think Big Brother is over the top with the subject.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 AM

Has anyone done any emission test and readings on a stock 6.7 and then one with partial delete. Then full delete to compare whats is or is not being put out emission wise? Why are they using a throttle plate?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 AM

Hound, if you buy a 6.7 and ever decide to delete the engine clogging cat etc, you might want to watch part 1 and 2 on The Diesel Stop channel on youtube. I about fell off my chair when they showed how many parts they took off the truck to allow it to breathe better. Here is the link. look for 6.7 Cummins EGR/DPF delete kit 1 and 2.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thedieselstop

He's a good ole Oklahoma boy who knows his diesels. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Like I said before, the truck outperforms my 04.5 in every way possible. A/C, steering, braking, interior, front end, exterior and the list goes on. Far superior truck than anything Dodge has produced ever in my opinion. So far the engine and transmission have been awesome. No issues to speak of and lots of power and torque. Stock for stock this truck blows the shorts off my 04.5. Don't know what else to tell you. If you operate the truck like it is intended to then I don't see where you'll have trouble with the emissions. If you use it to grocery get or take the kids back and forth to school then expect issues and dealer visits. I'm playing that by ear. So far no problems for me. I don't agree at all with their current emissions schemes and know personally it's way overboard and in the wrong direction but it is what it is. Until we defund the EPA and get the liberals out of stuff they have no business being in it won't change.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hounddog
Has anyone done any emission test and readings on a stock 6.7 and then one with partial delete. Then full delete to compare whats is or is not being put out emission wise?
There is a big difference in emissions between the old and new trucks. I couldn't let my stinky old '03 idle in the garage, even with the door up. Had to back it out. My stock '11 emits butterfly farts by comparison. The emissions systems do work in these trucks- at a cost. Deleted 6.7s sound and smell just like the early 3rd gens. Oh, and going to a gasser won't solve anything- they have complex emissions equipment too- they've just had 20 years longer to figure it out.

Originally Posted by staarma
Like I said before, the truck outperforms my 04.5 in every way possible. A/C, steering, braking, interior, front end, exterior and the list goes on. Far superior truck than anything Dodge has produced ever in my opinion...
Amen brother!! Almost worth putting up with the EPA crap.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Back to the question. Anyone done any testing with a 6.7 of before and after. My 03 dosen't stink or gag you. I'm curious to what my 03 puts out also. My0 1993 W250 would gag you. There has to be shops with sniffers that also work on these diesels or someone with access to a sniffer. Its all great and dandy talking about deletes but I'd think some would want to know what a 'clean' stock one puts out compared to a 'deleted' one. When I ran a shop in a EPA county in the 1980s and 90s techs and I played with that sort of thing on ones we hot rodded and or to see what a 'emission' item affected. We even knew how to trick 02s and ecms with resistors and low voltage and such.