Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/)
-   -   Get the 09 or wait for the 2010????? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/get-09-wait-2010-a-255606/)

HOHN 11-02-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ten_Bucks (Post 2617350)
The correct way to stretch the frame is under the back doors of the cab where the frame is the strongest. That way, you are not stretching the spot that sees the most stress(over the rear axle) and it ends up coming out factory looking. The guys at Precision Bodyline/Longbedmytruck.com stretch the frame right above the rear axle which is the incorrect way to do the stretch.

Scott

Originally Posted by capt.Ron (Post 2617407)
Hmmmm
I wonder, why is the frame the strongest under the rear doors if the most stress is at the rear axles?
I could be wrong but!!!
My view would read just the opposite. When you load a truck the best case cenario is to spread the load over the whole frame. In doing so the most stress would be the farthest point from the rear/front axles. i.e. somewhere under the rear doors thus the reason for the frame being the strongest in that location.
One issue that I'd like to see addressed is the fact that the stress point will now be shifted because of the extended frame. I would hope that when the truck is stretched extra material is applied to not only the area that's cut but also throughout the area of the new stress point.

The point of max stress is usually just ahead of midway between the axles, but will shift rearward as load is added.

Stretching any new frame is a bad idea. They aren't design for bolting OR welding. The weld will ruin the heat treat in the base metal. Botl holes cause stress risers.

There' no margin a newer style hydroformed frame. They are design to be stiff and light, and once you go stretching them, all bets are off.

I'd HIGHLY discourage stretching the frame on any newer pickup that will see any substantial load at all. It's a failure waiting to happen.

A Commercial type of truck has a less sophisticated frame, pretty much just mild steel C channel. They lend themselves well to a stretch.

Save the stretching for your F550 or Topkick or such. Not your Dodge pickup!

JH

CoastalDav 11-02-2009 09:56 AM

The picture I posted in "Post #16 to this thread" is one of Kendall's stretched Mega Cab Duallies. If your going to stretch as said a couple post ago, thats were to go. Its been said, the web site is no longer up with the info. He still does have a web site.

http://www.1ctfa.com/home.nxg

It does not talk to the stretch. You can use it as a contact source.

Dave

Ten_Bucks 11-02-2009 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN (Post 2618917)
The point of max stress is usually just ahead of midway between the axles, but will shift rearward as load is added.

Stretching any new frame is a bad idea. They aren't design for bolting OR welding. The weld will ruin the heat treat in the base metal. Botl holes cause stress risers.

There' no margin a newer style hydroformed frame. They are design to be stiff and light, and once you go stretching them, all bets are off.

I'd HIGHLY discourage stretching the frame on any newer pickup that will see any substantial load at all. It's a failure waiting to happen.

A Commercial type of truck has a less sophisticated frame, pretty much just mild steel C channel. They lend themselves well to a stretch.

Save the stretching for your F550 or Topkick or such. Not your Dodge pickup!

JH

Try saying that to the shops that got it down to an almost science then get back to me. Those shops have never had any problem with the frame strength after the stretch is done. Besides, no matter which way is chosen, if the OP wants a Mega longbed he will have to have the frame stretched.

Scott

capt.Ron 11-02-2009 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ten_Bucks (Post 2619126)
Try saying that to the shops that got it down to an almost science then get back to me. Those shops have never had any problem with the frame strength after the stretch is done. Besides, no matter which way is chosen, if the OP wants a Mega longbed he will have to have the frame stretched.

Scott

No guarantee that I want one bad enough to actually do it.
I would like to be able to have a toolbox and still be able to haul the dirt bikes or a fifth wheel but:
  1. It may not be worth the cost.
  2. I may not find the stretch methods favorable to my strict sense of strength, durability and safety.
I certainly won't do the stretch right after purchase. I've got to see some time proven results from others first.

Ten_Bucks 11-02-2009 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron (Post 2619326)
No guarantee that I want one bad enough to actually do it.
I would like to be able to have a toolbox and still be able to haul the dirt bikes or a fifth wheel but:
  1. It may not be worth the cost.
  2. I may not find the stretch methods favorable to my strict sense of strength, durability and safety.
I certainly won't do the stretch right after purchase. I've got to see some time proven results from others first.

That is completely understandable but I will say this:

I have talked to both Kadell at KS Conversions and Clint at Innovative Customs about the conversions and they have done well over 100 conversions combined so both shops know what they are doing.

Scott

capt.Ron 11-02-2009 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ten_Bucks (Post 2619337)
That is completely understandable but I will say this:

I have talked to both Kadell at KS Conversions and Clint at Innovative Customs about the conversions and they have done well over 100 conversions combined so both shops know what they are doing.

Scott

I will certainly ask questions and consider the longbed stretch.
I guess I can sell my leftover shortbed on ebay???

Ten_Bucks 11-02-2009 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron (Post 2619463)
I will certainly ask questions and consider the longbed stretch.
I guess I can sell my leftover shortbed on ebay???

The shortbed is exchanged for the longbed in the process. Its part of the process and overall price of the conversion.

Scott

capt.Ron 11-02-2009 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ten_Bucks (Post 2619594)
The shortbed is exchanged for the longbed in the process. Its part of the process and overall price of the conversion.

Scott

That makes the conversion much more expensive.
Reduces my desire to make the move.

Ten_Bucks 11-02-2009 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron (Post 2619605)
That makes the conversion much more expensive.
Reduces my desire to make the move.

Well, it is about 6 grand for the conversion from either Innovative Customs or KS Conversions. The process includes exchanging the short bed for a longbed, putting a spray in bed liner in the bed, painting the bed to match your cab's color, then the actual process of stretching the frame and the associated stuff to make the new bed fit. If the customer provides the bed or if the customer doesn't want a spray in bed liner, then the overall price is reduced. The price is also reduced a little bit if the truck the customer provides is painted white because the new longbeds come to the shop painted white. Sellers, Inc. in Indiana does the conversions as well but they insist that unless the customer wants either a flatbed or utility bed, then the pickup bed must be provided by the customer. Their conversion costs less than 3 grand because of that. The customer is also responsible for getting rid of the short bed. Sellers, Inc. also does the frame stretch the same way that Innovative Customs and KS Conversions does it.

Scott