4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Get the 09 or wait for the 2010?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 75woody
Uh. I swear I was just reading (right before I logged on here) that 2010 will have the Megacab And will be available with a long bed.
I also heard that when the 2010's were introduced at the Detriot Auto Show. There is another thread on this site that I also made that comment.

My reply to Capt Ron when I said "find your Mega" was not meant to mean a 2010 and I would not get an 06 due to the A/C system. An 07 or 08 low mileage, with the conversion would be less than a new one.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CoastalDav
My reply to Capt Ron when I said "find your Mega" was not meant to mean a 2010 and I would not get an 06 due to the A/C system. An 07 or 08 low mileage, with the conversion would be less than a new one.
Oh no I'm gettin a new one. Don't want someone elses problems. Beside the depreciation on a new one will help me on my up and coming tax return.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My '07's paid for. I just wish I could swap interiors. Dodge has finally caught up with Ford in the seat comfort dept. Beefy steering box in the '09-'10's also. Overbuild it a bit and avoid warranty repairs. Novel concept.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 PM

I have not seen a 2010 2500 yet other than here on the net. But from what I can figure it's a 09 1500 inside with the 09 2500 drivetrain, and a different front end. Is that correct?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Highway 4x4
I have not seen a 2010 2500 yet other than here on the net. But from what I can figure it's a 09 1500 inside with the 09 2500 drivetrain, and a different front end. Is that correct?
Yes. There's a bunch of little subtle differences but that is pretty much the gist of it.

Scott
Old 10-30-2009, 03:14 PM

I would get the 2010 for sure.

If you need a long bed and they don't make one (I don't know if they do or not), www.longbedmytruck.com... no affiliation, saw one on the road recently. Looked really sweet.

Rob
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by RobG
I would get the 2010 for sure.

If you need a long bed and they don't make one (I don't know if they do or not), www.longbedmytruck.com... no affiliation, saw one on the road recently. Looked really sweet.

Rob
He'd be better off talking to Kadell Suggs at KS conversions in Texas considering the OP lives in Texas. The people at the link you mentioned don't stretch the frame the correct way and it leads to major issues.

Scott
Old 10-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ten_Bucks
He'd be better off talking to Kadell Suggs at KS conversions in Texas considering the OP lives in Texas. The people at the link you mentioned don't stretch the frame the correct way and it leads to major issues.

Scott
Dang I went to check em out and their website expired on 10/25/09.
I may try to contact them after the 2010s actually come out.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Dang I went to check em out and their website expired on 10/25/09.
I may try to contact them after the 2010s actually come out.
It would be well worth it to contact them. If you can't contact them, then contact Innovative Customs in Utah. They also do the frame stretch the correct way and their quality is just as good if not better than KS Conversions.

Scott
Old 10-31-2009, 07:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So, what exactly is the "correct" way to deviate from the factory design?

Just curious.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
So, what exactly is the "correct" way to deviate from the factory design?

Just curious.
The correct way to stretch the frame is under the back doors of the cab where the frame is the strongest. That way, you are not stretching the spot that sees the most stress(over the rear axle) and it ends up coming out factory looking. The guys at Precision Bodyline/Longbedmytruck.com stretch the frame right above the rear axle which is the incorrect way to do the stretch.

Scott
Old 10-31-2009, 10:02 AM

The correct way to stretch the frame is under the back doors of the cab where the frame is the strongest. That way, you are not stretching the spot that sees the most stress(over the rear axle) and it ends up coming out factory looking.
Hmmmm
I wonder, why is the frame the strongest under the rear doors if the most stress is at the rear axles?
I could be wrong but!!!
My view would read just the opposite. When you load a truck the best case cenario is to spread the load over the whole frame. In doing so the most stress would be the farthest point from the rear/front axles. i.e. somewhere under the rear doors thus the reason for the frame being the strongest in that location.
One issue that I'd like to see addressed is the fact that the stress point will now be shifted because of the extended frame. I would hope that when the truck is stretched extra material is applied to not only the area that's cut but also throughout the area of the new stress point.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Hmmmm
I wonder, why is the frame the strongest under the rear doors if the most stress is at the rear axles?
I could be wrong but!!!
My view would read just the opposite. When you load a truck the best case cenario is to spread the load over the whole frame. In doing so the most stress would be the farthest point from the rear/front axles. i.e. somewhere under the rear doors thus the reason for the frame being the strongest in that location.
One issue that I'd like to see addressed is the fact that the stress point will now be shifted because of the extended frame. I would hope that when the truck is stretched extra material is applied to not only the area that's cut but also throughout the area of the new stress point.
Call Clint at Innovative Customs and he will tell you what his shop and the other shops that do the stretch under the rear doors of the cab do to make the frame just as strong if not stronger than it was before it was cut in half.

Scott
Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Call Clint at Innovative Customs and he will tell you what his shop and the other shops that do the stretch under the rear doors of the cab do to make the frame just as strong if not stronger than it was before it was cut in half.

Scott
I will if I decide to stretch one.
Still waiting to actually see a 2010 Mega Cab.
I hope they hit the showrooms soon.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 75woody
Uh. I swear I was just reading (right before I logged on here) that 2010 will have the Megacab And will be available with a long bed.
Where did you see that? The Dodge Boyz had a silver 2010 crew cab mega dually on display, gorgeous truck but they said the long bed is not offered with the Mega. I've always liked white work trucks but this one looked awesome in silver. I asked them why it was locked up and they said there had been a lot of vandalism on the outside trucks.

It looked great on the inside and the underdash-mounted brake controller is great. I have the Tekonsha and it rubs my right knee a lot and I hate it. I love the new styling too, especially the new dually fenders, now it looks like a dually should instead of that tacked-on look.

Capt. Ron I have read that the new CEO will offer steep discounts on the 2010s so that's a big plus in addition to all the other good things about the 2010s. I told my wife if I can keep the payments within $100/month of this note we should make the switch. I really want a Laramie mega dually and she would be much happier with the heated seats and leather when we go fulltime RVing.

Quick Reply: Get the 09 or wait for the 2010?????