4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fuel Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Question

Hello to everyone. I am a "newbie" in more ways than one. Not only am I a newbie to this forum, but I am also a newbie to diesel trucks. Last November I purchased a Dodge Ram 2500 with the intention of using it to tow a 15,000 travel trailer from Calif to Texas.

A few weeks ago I saw that the fuel filter life was down to about 20%. I went to a local dealership (not the one I purchased the truck from, I am currently working about 400 miles away from home) and asked about having the fuel filter changed. I was told it would cost about $200.00. When asked why so much, I was told it was because my truck had 2 fuel filters that needed to be changed. Ok, news to me, but as I said, I know nothing about diesel trucks. I didn't have $200.00 to spare at that time.... but returned to that dealership a few weeks later to have the job done. After waiting for seven hours, I am told that my truck is done, and the bill is $118.00. I ask about the difference in price, and find out that they replaced only one of the fuel filters, not both.

Being new to diesels, I have no idea what is standard and what is not. Is it standard to only replace one of the filters, or should both of them have been changed? When I got back into the truck I pulled up the display for the fuel filter expecting to see the filter life at 100%. Instead, the display showed 89% life. Is this because only one of the filters was replaced? What are the disadvantages if only one of the filters are replaced and not the other?

I am really out of my depth here, and would appreciate any advice....

USMCRet93
Old 07-13-2014, 07:26 PM

just my opinion....but if I was going to change one filter, I would change both.

If you are slightly mechanically inclined, I would also say change them yourself, save the money the dealer charges....

I would guess that you have the filter insert style and not spin ons. either way ii isn't that hard to change....

Hope all works out...
Old 07-13-2014, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw46
just my opinion....but if I was going to change one filter, I would change both.

If you are slightly mechanically inclined, I would also say change them yourself, save the money the dealer charges....

I would guess that you have the filter insert style and not spin ons. either way ii isn't that hard to change....

Hope all works out...
That would be a good idea.... but I have no idea where to begin looking for fuel filters on this truck.....

USMCRet93
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 PM

It should show you in the owners manual. There is one in the engine bay and one under your truck to the rear by the fuel tank. I purchased both filters (MOPAR) for $95 in preparation for my first change.

I do find it odd that your computer showed 89% (even if they changed one), because it is manually reset. I am unaware if the computer is smart enough to know if one filter is changed.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 AM

you can pick up a chiltons or haynes manual and they pretty much walk you thru most service items step by step, on things like that...

I am not sure but probably there is a filter under the hood and one under neath mounted on frame....

also if you go to just about any parts store they can print you a diagram of location....just depends on how updated there system is.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:11 PM

After changing the filter and resetting the % until change they may have done a flash.
I had a flash done on my truck and it reduced the % remaining.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
These filters normally go 15,000 miles before replacement is required. There is also a PCM flash update that will address this issue. DCU must be updated afterwards along with transmission relearn procedure.

Urea system calibration changes.
· Fuel Filter Minder Calibration Changes.
· Cruise control system improvements.
· Improvements in exhaust brake switch operation.
· Charging system improvements for dual alternator applications.
· Cold Idle Stability improvements.
· Charge Air Cooler (CAC) leak detection software improvements.
· Various wiTECH data and system test additions or improvements.
· 68RFE Transmission shift quality improvements.
· Doser Thaw Calibrations (with proper doser calibration). Ensure SB 18-032-13 (or
later bulletin) is also completed to update Doser Control Unit (DCU).
· I/M OBD II readiness - DTC P2002 improvements help Particulate Matter (PM) Filter
monitor group to be set to ready more often.
· Grid Heater inhibit operation correction.
· Add engine run time to fuel filter minder.
· Dual alternator WiTECH improvements.
· Inducement timer reset procedure improvement.
· DEF refill detection calibration improvement.