4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Front Jump Seat Conversion Commencing Soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Front Jump Seat Conversion Commencing Soon

Hey everyone!

So I decided to take the plunge and bought a center jump seat w/lower storage for my truck. Got it on eBay for $200/free shipping. Came out of a 2012 Mega Cab. Hopefully I didn't make a bad decision and this won't work, but from my observations, it looks like it will be fine???

Can anyone tell me if the following cup holder from a 2010 will go right in, or will it require major surgery?

I would imagine to keep costs down, the whole dash would be the same regardless of your seating option, thus allowing either a center console or cup holder to go in its place...I'm hoping the same for the carpet and no hidden surprises under the console...

Also, what else will I need to make this 100% complete? I'm thinking possibly trim to go on both sides of the cup holder and maybe a kick panel below it?

Any other ideas while I'm tearing into this? Hmm, auxiliary blower for the back seat vents?

Thanks everyone for your help with this!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cup holder drop down looks identical to the one on my '12 so I think that should be good.

So you're going from a Laramie bucket with center console to the split so you can have a seat in the middle or you didn't get the "deluxe" split bench with an ST package and now you're making it into one? Just trying to see where you're going and what you're doing.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM

I wanted to spark conversation, so I left out those details about what I have and where I'm going with it...to answer your questions, I have an SLT Dark Slate/Medium Graystone interior w/premium cloth bucket seats and center console.

Since we are expecting our 4th child (apparently I'm part of one of those small percentage crowds--without getting into too much detail) and I refuse to get rid of my truck, so I have to upgrade (or downgrade depending on what side of the conversation you are on) to accommodate an extra passenger come November/December.

So with that being said, I'm trying to convert it to the way I should have bought it to begin with. My 08 had the jump seat w/lower console as well and I still scratch my head as to why I gave that up, along with the sun roof.

As far as any other mods, I figure while I have it all apart, now would be the time to work in any ideas.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I had to remove the eBay link cause they are not allowed, but that piece will be a direct drop in for ya.

But, dont be suprised to find the rear ducting for the A/C under the floor console if you truck has the rear A/C vents.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM

Sorry about that Blake. I updated it with a picture instead...your comments lead me to my next question...

My truck does have the rear vents, do they have a floor console for trucks with the rear vents like the 08's had? My 08 had the center seat with vents, but in place of the fold down cup holders, it had a floor console w/cup holders instead. I actually like that better since my 2002 (3rd Gen) had the fold down cup holders, but it wore out after a while and had to be replace...the less moving parts, the better.

I haven't seen any pictures of the 4th Gen trucks that had the floor console for rear A/C vents...nor have I seen any diagrams yet.

I did come across the following pictures, so maybe the floor console option was removed and the vent ducts run under the center hump???

2010 Mega Cab w/ Center Seat and Rear Vents

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Well I believe that could be done. Basically you want one of these setups, then would have to get the front cover where the fold down cup holders are at.

Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 3095
Size:  80.7 KB

So it would basically look like my truck, without the shifter, and the storage tray in its place.

Name:  DSC07324.jpg
Views: 3680
Size:  135.7 KB
Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Very nice truck!!! I'm a bit jealous...wish I had the manual...

I like the floor console idea much better, would you mind sending me the link where you took a snap shot of the diagram via a PM? I've been on all sorts of Mopar sites but I don't recall coming across that one. It look familiar, but the ones I had been too, I haven't been able to find anything about the console.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:38 AM

Thanks. The manual is one of the key factors I got rid of my 08.

That website is www.dodgeparts.com

Kinda hard to find parts on it sometimes cause of the crappy naming system, but they are new, oem parts, at a decent price.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM

Interesting stuff. I have an SLT but it has the fold down seat with storage in the seat back and under the seat. We have three boys but the MIL comes on trips with us so the middle front seat is a must. I wanted the drop down cup holder so the wife has better leg room and she didn't have to throw her legs to the side on long trips. Plus, the more feet that hit the center console the more it gets tore up. I put husky floor mats all the way around too. My A/C doesn't duct at the bottom of the middle front seat. It ducts it under the driver and passenger seat pointing to the rear seat in the back. I have storage under the rear seat with doors over that so no space like the pics you show under the backseat like that. Must have changed it for '12? I'm surprised your SLT didn't come with a center seat and the storage under option. These trucks are so configurable now I think some of the dealers lose their minds when ordering them.

Have fun with the project and I hope it all just drops in for you. I'm still loving mine just for the room alone that the three boys have in the back now. I don't feel like they're breathing down my neck now. lol
Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Staarma that pic show the megacab rear seating and storage. The crew cab has the under seat storage with the lids.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM

Thanks Blake! Haven't been to that website. It is a bit difficult to navigate, but, as long as I can find good deals, I'll be satisfied with it!

Staarma, all of the MegaCabs are like that so the seats can fold flat. The only difference between my 08 and 10 is the upgraded interior. Back seats are the same. Although, I like the under seat storage like my 02 had. Behind the seat storage is sometimes a pain, especially when dealing with car seats. You mentioned you only had ducting going under the side seats. I'm surprised you don't have vents under the center seat. I thought they all came like that?!

Do you have the in-floor storage on your rig? That's another option I was was available to us MC owners. As far as I can tell, there really isn't a reason to keep it from us other than it being an appealing option for the crew cabs.

My wife told me last night she doesn't like the floor console, so I suppose depending on how the ducting runs under the current console, I may end up going the cup holder route. I just like it because of the additional bins to put stuff in. I guess we will see.

So has anyone heard of putting in a blower in-line with the rear a/c ducts to boost the airflow a bit? I've been searching and found potential blowers made for van conversions...just have to find something smaller.

I'll take pictures as I go along during the removal and installation process.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Gotcha, never been around a mega before. Yep, I have the plastic tubs in the floor in front of the rear seat. Makes a nice storage spot for my tie downs and log chain. And...I'm an idiot because I do have A/C vents under the center front seat. I never even paid attention to it I guess. Anyway here are some pics of my config. Sheesh, I've never been so confused. lol

Name:  drinkconsole.jpg
Views: 5383
Size:  321.2 KB
Name:  rearstorage.jpg
Views: 3158
Size:  321.6 KB
Old 06-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Nice Staarma!!!

Your truck is exactly what I would like to do...depending on how the ducting is ran to the center seat. What would it take to get you to poke around on your truck to see how it runs from behind the cup holder? If too much surgery is required, my wife will just have to deal with the floor console. Although it will really be our daughter riding in the middle, not her, so it won't be too bad.

I also have the vents running under the driver/passenger seats.

I went ahead and removed the console so the removal tutorial is next...
Old 06-06-2012, 04:25 PM

The tutorial will be broken up into two parts. Part 1 is super simple on how to remove the console. Part 2 was the result of additional steps that were taken during the removal since I was unsure exactly how the console came out, so it will give others an idea how parts are removed to facilitate replacing broken/worn out items.

Observation: Already looks like I will have to get a new radio bezel even if I have to go with the floor console. This is going to be interesting...so if there is anyone out here that would like the center console in place of the center seat...maybe we can make trade?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Center Console Removal Part 1

Tools Required:

Phillips Screw Driver
10MM Socket

Step 1: Remove the cover that goes here and remove these two screws:

Step 2: Remove both of the side kick panels and remove the following screws with a 10MM socket and a phillips (for the two screws last two pics):

Step 3: Slide both seats forward and remove these two screws w/ a 10MM socket:

Step 4: Disconnect the following connector (the one going towards the console, next to the card)

Looks like my kids was playing with my cards...no endorsement intended. Didn't notice it when taking the picture

Step 5: Slide the console out and this is what you get:

Reached limit of pics...continued on next post....

Quick Reply: Front Jump Seat Conversion Commencing Soon