4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog lights

hey guys just picked up a 2015 3500 sbcc 4x4 tradesman. without fog lights, well i need to add some sort of light bar/ cubes some for fog lights cant see jack when its raining. looking for options. thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Look into a LED light bar. You want the kind that say cree. Run them on a relay directly from the battery. If you do some looking, you can find contoured ones that will follow the curve of the bumper. They have really come down in price. A 21 inch is compact ist super bright. The one drawback is you will need to turn it off when a car is coming. You will completely blind an oncominf driver with one of these.

My son had one and i swear it was brighter than normal daylight. You can also get cree led pods, which are just smaller versions of the lightbars. I have a buddy with 4 pods on his Jeep and again, you'll be amazed as to how dang bright they are.

With the lightbar pattern options, some of them the centers are like a spot light and the edges area flood light. I WILL be adding a lightbar inset into the front gap on my bumper, (12) controlled by a switch that runs a relay that supplies power directly from the battery to it.

FYI. At one time when my son was running the 21 he added a 52 lightbar. He could park in front of our front door, and with the door closed and the light shining thru the window in the door, our living room was brighter than it was with the regular room lights on. You could actually see better at night than day with that setup.

Do some Googling on them. Look at Amazon. I've seen You Tube videos about them but its hard to tell from some of those just how bright they are. There might be some DTR sponsors that are lightbar vendors. If someone that reads this knows of any, please respond back. I'd like to order from them when my time comes for that project.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:50 AM

Thanks I'm familiar with light bars. I have one on my side by side. They are surprisingly bright! I'm thinking of going with led cubes. Just trying to come up with mounting ideas. You definitely made me think about on coming cars lol. I really didn't think about that. I want something that I can run most of the time with out blinding people.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Just a plain ole guy

In Texas, the max white forward facing lights you can have is 4. My son leaned this after being stopped for having 19. Not sure about your state. I would think if you had them mounted like fog lights, you can run them but that would mean having them pointing down onto the road. My buddy has two mounted at the base of the windshield. He has a jeep and it was easy to find mounts for that place. i wonder just what kind of mounts are available for differnt locations.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My sons truck has a number of fwd facing lights he recently got a ticket for "illegal to mount" even though they were not turned on at the time. They made him turn on his "fog" lights then checked to make sure they turned off with the hi beams, the cop said he would have got another ticket for that if they didn't. The fog lights are the most outer ones each side.

DSC00963
Old 12-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Just a plain ole guy

He got ticket for having lights that were NOT ON? I think I would have disputed that. I did get pulled over for no front license plate, although I had a front license plate. I got a warning. I almost didnt sign it and almost asked the cop if he would be willing to pose for a picture standing next to my front license plate but I didn't want to mess with it. If I would have gotten a ticket for it I would have.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-2-3
He got ticket for having lights that were NOT ON?
My son tried to argue that fact and the cop said "illegal to even mount them forward facing" as he has similar ones mounted to a back rack but rear facing all for working in the dark and the cop was not concerned about those.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
He got ticket for having lights that were NOT ON? I think I would have disputed that. I did get pulled over for no front license plate, although I had a front license plate. I got a warning. I almost didnt sign it and almost asked the cop if he would be willing to pose for a picture standing next to my front license plate but I didn't want to mess with it. If I would have gotten a ticket for it I would have.
Why would he stop you if you had a front plate. Looks like there must be something else going on. Don
Old 01-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Just a plain ole guy

I have no idea why he stopped me. IF..he would have given me a ticket, I would have snapped a phone pic with the ticket and the plate in place and his car in the background
Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
these are what I have on my pickup and love them! These stoxk headlights suck, they seem yellow and the lenses get dirty fast. I'll be upgrading the bulbs soon. These lights cone all pre wired,the harnesses are all built you latterly mount,run the wires,and plug in. I'll take a photo of them on the truck after work.

http://www.roughcountry.com/12-inch-...bar-70912.html
Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's how I mounted mine.
Attached Thumbnails fog lights-20160129_150520.jpg