4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

SAT/NAV/Stereo interchangability...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAT/NAV/Stereo interchangability...

If I were to come across a used stereo that would be an upgrade over mine, is it just a matter of pulling the old one and putting in the new one?

Also, does anyone know if you can use Garmin trip planning software, plan a trip then load it onto our nav systems?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 PM

I will be watching this...I too want to upgrade
Old 07-29-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm assuming that since Dodge has been using these units in several models (both truck and car) for several years that finding one shouldn't be difficult.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xp8103
I'm assuming that since Dodge has been using these units in several models (both truck and car) for several years that finding one shouldn't be difficult.
Not quite sure that you are correct on what you post. I have a 2010 Nav which I understand is made by Navtec and the 2011's are made by Garmin according to what I read. I would also like to trade my Nav as it was out of date on the day I bought my truck and found that a new major road which opened one year before I bought my truck is not on my Nav and when I made inquiries I find that if an update is going to be made available it will cost me about 300 bucks for the CD.

I understand the new Garmin units have free lifetime upgrades.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM

I think if you look on Crutchfield, in search of replacement radio's/NAV/etc, you will find that there is not much in the aftermarket marketplace that will be a one for one fit. The truth is that our radio's are not standard single or double size. So the aftermarket manufacturers create a bracket for install, but it may require trim work on the console. I have been looking like crazy for a MyGig system with Nav, Uconnect, SAT, and backup camera hookups to replace the factory radio in my 2010 HD, but even on Ebay those things are still running $1200.00 to $2000.00 . Crutchfield would be a good starting point to find out what you can/cannot put in your truck, although you could probably find better deals elsewhere. If anyone can refute this please let me know so that I can possibly replace my system as well.

Chris
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Albertaguy
I have a 2010 Nav which I understand is made by Navtec and the 2011's are made by Garmin according to what I read.
I have the RER system in my 2010 and am not fond of the Navtec. I was also irritated about the $200 to update the Nav database and I was upset to find my traffic updates stopped working when my satellite radio subscription expired.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_Laramie
I have the RER system in my 2010 and am not fond of the Navtec. I was also irritated about the $200 to update the Nav database and I was upset to find my traffic updates stopped working when my satellite radio subscription expired.
We don't even get traffic updates here in Canada. I just renewed my Sat subscription for another year. (Aug.14th)
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My kid bought a 2011 manual ST without nav and looked into getting one put in at the dealer. They said it was too complicated to install a factory unit that integrates everything and recommended an after market one from a local radio shop. He had it installed and it cost way more ($1800) than the N450 ? as an option on the truck new. It doesn't fit the hole and trim plates are needed, it is not integrated with everything else and he says it's not as good. My guess is his next truck will have the factory nav system even if he has to order the truck and wait for it.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 AM

My 2010 came with the RES unit (base stereo no touch screen) and I was able to install a used RBZ unit I found on ebay. It was as simple as pulling the old one out and plugging the new one in and installing. My Sirius even works still. Couple things you need to know: 1. 4th gen Rams use the High speed can bus, so you need a stereo designed for it. 2. 2012 versions of this stereo are VIN specific but will learn new VIN's when swapped, you just have to have the security code to allow it to work (there is a TSB on this) so if you buy from ebay or anywhere really make sure you get the code if it says "antitheft" on the faceplate.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Albertaguy
Not quite sure that you are correct on what you post. I have a 2010 Nav which I understand is made by Navtec and the 2011's are made by Garmin according to what I read. I would also like to trade my Nav as it was out of date on the day I bought my truck and found that a new major road which opened one year before I bought my truck is not on my Nav and when I made inquiries I find that if an update is going to be made available it will cost me about 300 bucks for the CD.

My 2012 came with the Navtec unit. I wish it came with Garmin because the Garmin maps are much better and the Garmin units are a whole lot easier to operate. I had a portable Garmin GPS unit that I sold to a friend when I got my new truck because I didn't think I would need it anymore. I wish I had kept it. The Garmin units are far superior to what's in my truck.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM

How can you tell if it is the garmin or navtec maps?