4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Doors unlock on closing the door

Old 07-14-2017, 06:44 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Doors unlock on closing the door

At first, I thought it was a fluke, but has been happening more and more lately.

My habit is to hit the lock button on the armrest after I open the door and after exiting the truck, I'll close the door (without touching the outside handle). Sometimes, about one second after the door closes, I hear all the doors and tailgate unlock, and sure enough, they are unlocked. This occurs with the keys in my pocket or in my hand (no buttons pushed).

Yesterday, after I exited and closed the door, I went over to the passenger side to help my wife out. Her door was already opened when I locked all the doors from the driver's armrest button. She got out and shut the door, again without touching the handle, and a second later the doors and tail gate unlock. I was with her on her side of the truck when that happened, with the keys in my pocket.

Did I miss something in the owner's manual or do I need to trip over to the dealer who probably won't be able to replicate the issue?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a FOBIK that has extremely sensitive buttons that I no longer use. You can barely brush a button without pressing it and the doors will either lock or unlock, depending on the button.

I do find it odd that the exact same thing happens on both driver and passenger doors, which leads me to believe that maybe it's the FOBIK.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:55 AM
FMB

Originally Posted by 6.7L MegaCab
I do find it odd that the exact same thing happens on both driver and passenger doors, which leads me to believe that maybe it's the FOBIK.
Thanks, that gives me a bit to go on. I'll change to the spare one after I do some experimenting and see what happens over the next week or so. The truck was recalled for some issue with the roll-over air-bag deployment so is going to the shop soon. If I can't figure out the lock issue, I'll give it to them too.
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 07-16-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.7L MegaCab
I have a FOBIK that has extremely sensitive buttons that I no longer use. You can barely brush a button without pressing it and the doors will either lock or unlock, depending on the button.

I'll second the FOBIK. I have one that just lightly touching the lock button (not pressing it - just touching it) will lock the doors. Lock button works normally.

Bob
Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have your spare fob inside the truck? That nay do it.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 AM
FMB

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
Do you have your spare fob inside the truck? That nay do it.
Spare fob is in the house. Lock issue occurs up to 2,000 miles away from it. Good thought though. Since posting this issue, I have dangled the fob from the key ring as I did my normal locking and closing the door proceedure. No repeat of the issue as yet, but with temps running over 100* the past few days, I've not had too many pressing reasons to leave the AC of the house.

I'll also test bumping the fob around, slightly pressing buttons too, but I'm not thinking it is the fob. I remember a time this happened when holding the keys by the ring, with fob dangling. Dunno yet, still trying to force a duplication I can show the dealer.
I'll let you know the results. Back to morning brew . . .
Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? My 2014 3500 does it also, I lock the door, hop out, shut the door and the locks pop open. If I lock it outside with the FOB, it doesn't do it.

Fred
Old 09-06-2017, 11:47 PM
FMB

So, after my last post, the locks acted like they were supposed to for about 2 weeks straight. Then, it started randomly unlocking within a second or two of closing the door. The last time was the passenger door and, as it unlocked, I was looking at the fob, with the buttons facing upward, in the palm of my left hand.

Truck went in to the dealer this morning for a few issues, the locks being one that I was pretty sure they wouldn't be able to duplicate. They couldn't, but the service guy said there was an update for this issue and performed the "BCM UPDATE". Time will tell if that worked. Fred, consider taking it in.

Hard shifting D to R, Performed a TCM Update.

Recall for roll-over airbag deployment, ORC Update.

Dead pedal (1-2 sec) after sudden deceleration, and attempt to accelerate afterwards, Perform TCM Flash per TSB 21-004-16.

Recall for Cat Converter (wasn't expecting this), Perform Cat Replacement and PCM Flash.

And lastly, I drove to Alaska a few months ago and the Sirius radio quit about mid BC and wouldn't work till I got back to about mid BC. I thought I used my little one in my '03 when I went up in 2010, and also thought someone here said something about different antenna would work better. They checked and couldn't find anything on issues like this but Performed Flash Update to Radio anyway. Told me to test it out. LOL, won't be going back till after warranty is out. So, did some checking online and apparently, Sirius XM does not reach much past the Washington/BC border and AK doesn't have it at all.
Well, that's it. Time to hit the sack so I can be up in time for my morning brew . . .