4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

first major defect on the 2010 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first major defect on the 2010 Ram

As I posted before the air flow threw my vents perty much stopped. Took the truck to the dealer yesterday and my problem is the truck is sucking to much dirt, and that plugged the air flow on the heater core.

Now I do drive a lot of gravel but so do a lot of people and this is the first truck that I have even heard of this happening to. And with just over 32K this would be a regular repair for me. To top it off the last 2 years have been wet and dust hasn't been to bad.

To completely clean the heater core it is a 5 hour job according to the dealer. And that wouldn't be covered under warranty. Tempory fix was a air hose, which helped some.

From what I was told Dodge went to a finer heater core which works better but apparantly will now plug with dirt. Only solution I can think of is finding or making a air filter where the air enters the system.

There is also a recal for the left side tie rod for my truck
Old 10-15-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you need the cabin air filter mod

Link
Old 10-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This no where near uncommon. Used to see it alot on Chevy trucks and such. Anything that see's dirt roads, farming, etc. A cabin air filter from Geno's will be your friend. They have to remove the dash to get to the heater core and clean everything up.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
This mod in my opinion is a must, even if you don't do a lot of gravel. I pulled my filter recently to check how dirty it was and I haven't done more that 10 miles of gravel since installing it. It was dusty. My son who does a ton of gravel just installed his about 3 weeks ago and will be back in town next week, I'll pull his out and check his. Before his install the inside of his cab was terrible so it will be interesting to see just how much of a difference it makes. Link to the mod. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d-t284729.html
Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 PM

http://www.cabfreshfiltercompany.com...ers.html#dodge

This here is the solution to the problem, keep the dirt from ever entering the system should be standard equipment for a truck

Think I will get one for the Ford to.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 PM
I pet my truck from time to time....

Whats the difference in the two mods listed above; and which one is most effective? The wiper cowl based filter, or the under dash? Sounds like a must do.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i have gone thru 3 filters on mine since I did the mod when I bought the truck. well worth it
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
i have gone thru 3 filters on mine since I did the mod when I bought the truck. well worth it
Hey Bro!

Why did you do the indide filter instead of the under hood filters Geno's sells?

One or both have been on my "must do" list for a while.

Best always. Larry
Old 10-16-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Must have missed that thread. The factory style is the way to go.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
As I posted before the air flow threw my vents perty much stopped. Took the truck to the dealer yesterday and my problem is the truck is sucking to much dirt, and that plugged the air flow on the heater core.

Now I do drive a lot of gravel but so do a lot of people and this is the first truck that I have even heard of this happening to. And with just over 32K this would be a regular repair for me. To top it off the last 2 years have been wet and dust hasn't been to bad.

To completely clean the heater core it is a 5 hour job according to the dealer. And that wouldn't be covered under warranty. Tempory fix was a air hose, which helped some.

From what I was told Dodge went to a finer heater core which works better but apparantly will now plug with dirt. Only solution I can think of is finding or making a air filter where the air enters the system.

There is also a recal for the left side tie rod for my truck
Good morning members. This is my 1st post but I wanted to impart some useful information about a 'mod' I made after reading the original post concerning the accumulation of dirt and debris.

After installing the cabin filter as was previously described it seemed to me to be in the wrong place. Better to keep it from coming in in the 1st place but the price on the cowling filter was out of line with it's value.

So I went to Home Depot and purchased filter medium designed for a furnace that was "non-organic" offering good filtration and air flow. This filter comes without the paper surround and can be cut to size.

In my case the filter was a dark green and I painted it black (including the cut edges) to match the under-hood plastic. I cut 2 strips approximately 3.5" wide and long enough to cover the under-hood venting in the cowling. I used 1 wire-tie to secure each strip where they bend which held them in place. This material allowed some forming to adapt to it's location.

After checking the install I found that the painting kept the "mod" invisible and later inspection, the filter was found to be compressed into shape as there is very little free space at that location.

I cannot give a long term report on the effectiveness of this filter but short term it has kept leaves and other larger debris from entering the system as I have had to clean them out from the filter.

I think this set up is at least as effective as the commercially available one, and with the paint and filter was under $20.00, and I have enough filter material to make 6 more set-ups at least.

I hope this can help some of you as I have enjoyed reading the various posts and am trying to learn as much as I can about our trucks.

Thank you.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Must have missed that thread. The factory style is the way to go.
The mod to put the filter in under the dash is ok but in my case i would still have the same problem because the heater core still would not be filtered.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Hummm I don't think that this really counts as a defect. I did the cabin air filter mod for under $30.00. I did it mainly for allergies...
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Have any pics of what you did? May help us understand exactly how this is done.

Originally Posted by Lakeland Bob
Good morning members. This is my 1st post but I wanted to impart some useful information about a 'mod' I made after reading the original post concerning the accumulation of dirt and debris.

After installing the cabin filter as was previously described it seemed to me to be in the wrong place. Better to keep it from coming in in the 1st place but the price on the cowling filter was out of line with it's value.

So I went to Home Depot and purchased filter medium designed for a furnace that was "non-organic" offering good filtration and air flow. This filter comes without the paper surround and can be cut to size.

In my case the filter was a dark green and I painted it black (including the cut edges) to match the under-hood plastic. I cut 2 strips approximately 3.5" wide and long enough to cover the under-hood venting in the cowling. I used 1 wire-tie to secure each strip where they bend which held them in place. This material allowed some forming to adapt to it's location.

After checking the install I found that the painting kept the "mod" invisible and later inspection, the filter was found to be compressed into shape as there is very little free space at that location.

I cannot give a long term report on the effectiveness of this filter but short term it has kept leaves and other larger debris from entering the system as I have had to clean them out from the filter.

I think this set up is at least as effective as the commercially available one, and with the paint and filter was under $20.00, and I have enough filter material to make 6 more set-ups at least.

I hope this can help some of you as I have enjoyed reading the various posts and am trying to learn as much as I can about our trucks.

Thank you.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Sorry, didn't take pictures and wouldn't know how to upload them anyway.

But look at the one on http://www.cabfreshfiltercompany.com...ers.html#dodge and insert the filter as I described. It was very simple and took maybe 30 min. including drying time for the paint.

I didn't think up the idea, but borrowed it from them.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by NB64
Hummm I don't think that this really counts as a defect. I did the cabin air filter mod for under $30.00. I did it mainly for allergies...
This is my 5th Dodge ram, first to ever have this problem. All I can say is this happened to me with just over 30K this is going to be a big problem for the dodge ram owner

Quick Reply: first major defect on the 2010 Ram