Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/)
-   -   Back to 4th gen (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/back-4th-gen-325745/)

SOhappy 07-28-2016 03:31 PM

Back to 4th gen

Sold my 2006. Was a great truck, didn't give me any serious trouble, but time (and miles) marches on, and is the enemy of anything mechanical. I could tell it wasn't going to get any cheaper to own. Plus I didn't need a long bed anymore.

I looked at getting back into a non-DEF 4th gen like the 2011 I had previously, but they all had at least 80k. Also, by the time I sold the 2011 I was tired of all the emissions-related codes, poor mpgs, and twice as many oil changes vs. the 5.9. We have emissions testing [yuk] so going deleted wasn't an option.

I started looking at DEF trucks and realized the CTDs hold their value so darn well that I could get a 2015 for only a few thousand more- so decided to give that a look. A local dealer had taken a pretty basic vanilla SLT crew short bed with 40k on the clock in on trade, and I picked it up for $38k. I did check on new ones, I could have got a stripped 2016 Tradesman crew for $41k ($10k off MSRP). That was tempting but I had to draw the line somewhere, and I figured an SLT would be easier to sell when it's time to upgrade again. Personally I don't mind stripper trucks, but a lot of people do (although my 2006 ST sold pretty fast).

So, wish me luck! I've had it a little over a week and have averaged 18mpg (the 2006 averaged 16mpg with 325-75-18s), except for towing on a short camping trip I got 12mpg and didn't exactly keep my foot out of it. So I'm pretty happy with that.

Picture of it in "dealer prep":

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...0b383f782e.jpg

Just a note on depreciation: My three previous CTDs lost on average $1000/yr. The 5.9s a little less, the 2011 a little more (but diesel was $4/gallon when I sold it). For comparison, a 2011 with 80k miles equipped comparable to my 2015 sells for $34k. So, the $1000/yr seems to hold true. From what I can see, good 2nd gen quad cab 4x4s bottom out around $10k and will probably appreciate someday. I would expect newer ones to do the same. So really, these trucks aren't a bad "investment". [roll]

ptm600 07-28-2016 03:48 PM

I like it. My next one will be white. Easy to keep clean.

SOhappy 08-24-2016 01:31 PM

Thanks! Had it a month now, been extremely pleased with it. A real joy to drive, and just in awe at the capabilities of these trucks. So much grunt! Very happy with the MPGs, and comfy too. Might end up being my favorite CTD thus far.

Lil Dog 09-09-2016 12:08 PM

Nice truck. Glad your are happy with the new ride and I know a few guys that were wild BOMBERS in the past that have new trucks and don't see the need to mod them. Lots of power, decent mileage and creature comforts. :cheers:

SOhappy 09-09-2016 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog (Post 3311338)
Nice truck. Glad your are happy with the new ride and I know a few guys that were wild BOMBERS in the past that have new trucks and don't see the need to mod them. Lots of power, decent mileage and creature comforts. :cheers:

Thanks! Yup, It's getting great fuel mileage and has more power than I'll ever need, so no bombing for me [laugh]. Don't want to mess with a good thing. Got just over 20 mpg last fill up!! (hand calculated, city-hwy combined). Even afraid to touch the stock tires at this point, [guitar] BUT, I get stuck in 2wd on wet grass even though they're new, so they've got to go before winter :(

On my '03 everything I did to "improve it" cost me about 1-2 mpg, so lesson learned.

Bug deflector= 1 mpg
Ripped off the front spoiler on a snowbank= 1mpg
285-65-17 ATs= 1.5mpg
Leveling kit= 1mpg
Edge Ez w/boot elbow= 1mpg