4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Aftermarket Radio Antenna Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Aftermarket Radio Antenna Adapter

My Christmas project has been to upgrade the factory plain radio in my 12 to a radio with a screen so i can have a backup camera. I am having a hard time finding the correct adapter to fit the factory antenna plug that converts it to the regular aftermarket antenna plug. I don't want to lob off the end an replace it if i don't have to.

I went with a Kenwood 2DIN with touchscreen. Box is outside so I don't have model number with me. Its the one just below the big one best Buy carries that has HDMI inputs. I have no need for those. If anyone is looking to change radios, I'm really digging this one. Besides the adapter, I still need to order the fancy USB cable so I can use my Samsung phone with it. With the cable, you can use what they call APPS, which is just a touchscreen monitor for your phone. Just like if your phone got bigger and inset into the dash. I wanted this option so I can do the navigation. That way I won't have a navigation system that needs updating. My wifes Kia has that built in and since we've owned it ( 3 yrs) it's only been updated once. It's a pain and kinda expensive to do on hers. There are alot of roads that have been built that are not on her maps. With Google Maps, that shouldn't be that bad of an issue.

Another thing that I like, is our local radio stations are nothing but commercials. All of them are talk only when I go to work. I have now set this new radio to sync with my phone when I hop in and start up some Pandora. With that I have all the tunes I need. Very cool.

With the backup camera portion, i wanted to be able to see it while going down the road, so I can better check on loads on the trailer. So, I added a switch and connected it to the wire that triggers the backup camera to come on, on the screen so at any time, flip the switch and I can see what's back there. I guess i can even flip it on when I have someone following too close. I've had some cars so close I can only see part of them.

Another cool option is my grandson can now watch a DVD movie while we travel. We have his seat in the middle so it's a clear view for him.