Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/)
-   -   About to get a new 4th gen, What am I forgetting??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/about-get-new-4th-gen-what-am-i-forgetting-326752/)

Diesel Junkie 12-11-2016 01:02 AM

About to get a new 4th gen, What am I forgetting???

Hey guys,
I am about to get my 3rd cummins. (I have a 92, and 2007).
Unfortunately I skipped second gen, but I am following the 1 per decade or so rule.

Technically this truck is going to be my "wife's truck".
So, i have agreed to the 2500, and I know I am missing out on the high output motor and Asin tranny.

This will be my first automatic.

The primary purpose of the thread is to make sure I have not forgotten any options that I will kick myself for when I find out about them later.

Here is what I asked for:
Needs:
2500 short bed crew cab
Laramie,
Bright white with Brown interior
Cummins Automatic
4x4
Bench seat front(Heated seats front and rear with leather, (Truck has 6 seat belts)).
3.42 rear axle ratio.
With Limited slip.
Air suspension rear
Bed lights.
Fold out mirrors.
Exhaust brake
18" wheels

Wants but not necessary if you cant find the right configuration:
Running boards
Dual Alternators
Block heater.
Prefer no sun roof.
Prefer sliding rear window.

Things I assume it will have:
Keyless entry, remote start, Key fob locks the tailgate.
Power adjust pedals.
Backup camera
Fancy navigation system, CD player, Connections to Iphone to play music in the truck.
etc

Dealer got back to me and claims that I cant have the heated rear seats with the bench (6 seater) in the front.
Cant quite figure out what else I am going to loose with the bench... Does anyone else know?

Also going to make sure I get the integrated brake controller.
Probably ask for the power folding mirrors.

Anyone know how the truck configuration changes with 9kGVWR vs 10kGVWR? Does it get a heavier axle or anything like that? or is it just paperwork?

Is there anything else I should worry about that I will want later????

THANKS for your thoughts on this!!!

FMB 12-11-2016 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Junkie (Post 3317067)
Is there anything else I should worry about that I will want later????

One way to look at different available options is to look at the Window Sticker of several trucks in your general category. I went to Dave Smith's website and went through many stickers to ensure I got what I wanted. No regrets. I'm about 75 mi N of you and found it advantageous to fly up to buy at Dave's.
Back to morning brew . . . [coffee]

Diesel Junkie 12-11-2016 11:02 PM

Thanks FMB.
I usually go to Dave Smith, but a buddy just got an equally good deal at South county in Gilroy. (actually 2 brothers, one got Dave smith about 9 months ago, and the other did south county last week). (They both got high output 1 tons, I am jealous).
I also got both dealers to quote similar trucks, and South county was $55 cheaper.

I have been though a few stickers, and over everything I can find online, but just want to make sure I am not missing anything.
I feel like 10+ years ago, you could find every single detail online, but now there are way more gadgets on the trucks, and less on the manufacturer's website.

motrapper 12-13-2016 10:57 PM

Yes Find another 3rd Gen why down Grade

SOhappy 12-14-2016 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by motrapper (Post 3317299)

3rd gens are awesome trucks. But, the new ones have up to twice the HP & torque, a fraction of the emissions for the same or better fuel mileage. Not to mention the more reliable, usable (auto) tranny(s). Then there's the exhaust brake. The integrated trailer brake. A tow/haul mode that actually works. Nicer ride. More comfy seats. Longer lasting ball joints and steering box. And of course the MUCH bigger back seat than the quad cab, and you get a factory warranty if anything does go wrong. Not a down grade at all. [roll]

motrapper 12-14-2016 08:32 PM

Where did you find this factory truck with 650 HP and 1220 torque?
The exhaust brake is nice, but that is the only real bonus for the extra 30k or more you will pay. For that extra 30k I can way out build a 2017 Laramie. With A nice used 2006 and have someone else do it for me with exactly what I want. Don't even imagine what I could do with that much if I did it myself.

gsbrockman 12-15-2016 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by motrapper (Post 3317299)

That was a really, really helpful post.

Based on your signature---looks like your truck is/was a TURD and needed a lot of help to keep it current. :rolleyes:

motrapper 12-16-2016 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by gsbrockman (Post 3317419)
That was a really, really helpful post.

Based on your signature---looks like your truck is/was a TURD and needed a lot of help to keep it current. :rolleyes:

Wow a 2 year owner?? of a 2014
Have you changed the oil your self?
Please comment when YOU have done something!!

gsbrockman 12-16-2016 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by motrapper (Post 3317431)
Wow a 2 year owner?? of a 2014
Have you changed the oil your self?
Please comment when YOU have done something!!

Yepppppp....I've changed the oil & oil filter 14 times, the fuel filters 14 times as well.

Apparently you're related to Helen Keller----and can't see my signature. I'll make it big for you so you can see it :

Purchased new February 20th, 2014. Currently : 197,695 miles and 3,664 hours as of December 14th, 2016. (Avg MPH = 54.0)

I *think* 197,695 miles in 34 months constitutes "doing something" :rolleyes:

motrapper 12-16-2016 08:46 AM

LOL
That was Easy.
Your Perfect

gsbrockman 12-16-2016 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by motrapper (Post 3317437)
LOL
That was Easy.
Your Perfect

:funny:
:violin:
:hater:

SOhappy 12-16-2016 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by motrapper (Post 3317368)
Where did you find this factory truck with 650 HP and 1220 torque?

I said "have up to twice the HP and torque" My 2003 was an awesome truck, lots of good memories. But, my 2015 has twice the HP and torque and a real back seat (and all the other stuff I mentioned). And, the 2015 cost about $12k more ($41,000) new than the 2003 ($29,000) did new, but the improvements are worth the difference.

Based on your signature, you've only owned a 3rd gen. I've owned two of each (3rd and 4th) and much prefer the 4th gen. But, 3rd gens really are great trucks too.

Quite the hijack, now back the OP's question......

fatpete 12-30-2016 08:17 AM

Don't forget to buy a fuel cap, they don't come with one!!