4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Laramie Mirror Issue not Solvable?

Old 02-28-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laramie Mirror Issue not Solvable?

I purchased a 2016 Laramie without towing mirrors used. I went to the parts department of the dealer, and the parts guy was very helpful but explained it is not possible to upgrade the mirrors due to the fact that the computer module is not programmed for the fold out towing mirrors.

Currently my truck has auto fold in mirrors, memory, and underside light.

I want to switch to the fold up mirror like in my 09' 2500 for towing with the split mirror for the blind spots. The dealer said if they do it, more than likely I will fry my computer module and it will not be under warranty.

I think it is completely moronic this is not possible, as almost everyone on a 2500 would buy that truck because they want to tow. It is a simple computer code and makes me think it is time to program a raspberry pi as an intermediary.

I def. do not want want rubber add on mirrors, because they will vibrate excessively and make my truck look like a Ford or Chevy.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I guarantee that guy doesn't know his left from his right either. Nothing will be fried. If a sales code needs to be changed its probably handled through the TIPM. I'd start by getting the mirrors you want, check the plugs and they will probably be the same.

Something such as the Autoenginuity Scan tool can interface and make changes to the TIPM and some other modules. Or find a tech that knows how to program the appropriate sales code.

Now my experience is based on the 2010-2012s, but I think the same principles apply.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:05 AM

delete and edit-
I re-read the OP and you already have auto fold mirrors so replacing them with TOW auto fold mirrors should be P-N-P. Or did I miss something. If you install regular tow mirrors then there should be no issues at all. Just no power fold.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 PM

Thanks, I am going to install and give it a try!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:52 AM

Same situation, my dealer said if I did not have towing mirrors when ordered, I can't put any on my truck, will kill computer.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Y'all ought to get the FSM and research the wiring. I'd bet that maybe the only difference is the front door control module would need to be replaced. Then again, that doesn't make sense either because it would cost the manufacturer more to maintain stock on two different modules then just one module that is reprogrammable. The TIPM may be the only part that needs programmed to tell the other parts what to do. It's really not even programming, it's more like going in and turning on a few switches.

That's at least the way it is on 2010-2012 trucks. I've turned on stuff in my truck that the dealer would have charged upwards of $150 or more as a "dealer installed option" when all they would have done was turn a couple "switches" on in the modules.

I'm curious of the results of those that have attempted this.