Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/)
-   -   .02 Please on a New Build Sheet (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-ram-non-drivetrain-2010-up-202/02-please-new-build-sheet-324932/)

Thiss 04-26-2016 07:33 AM

.02 Please on a New Build Sheet

Hi fine folks over here in the 4th Gen Forums. I hope my post is in the right place, I am used to the singular 1st gen forum.

I have never bought a new truck, and I am about to, I have been rolling my first gen since 2001.

Anyways, I am looking at 2500 or 3500. I have requested insurance quotes for both. If the 3500 is the same price I will probably go with it.

I am firm on a crew long bed with srw, and I am strongly leaning toward a manual. I am ok with the down tuned power numbers of the manual until the stock clutch needs replaced.

I am considering a flat bed (I wouldn't delete the box since it can be sold for more than the savings). Also, I currently do not tow heavy since I have an Airstream, but I don't want to put myself into being under tricked if I do something crazy like buy a sail boat. I will haul firewood routinely.

So, not really wanting to get everything and the kitchen sink, and keeping the MSRP south of 55k, what should I be considering?

Thanks!

Mike

PS My crew first gen is not going anywhere and will still be my daily driver.

Harvie 04-27-2016 04:36 PM

Get the Aisin trans DF2 2595
eng ETK 8995
Protection group ADB 50
transfer case skid plate XEF
Cold Weather group ADE 90
eng block heater NHK
5th wheel prep group AHU 400
Dual 220 amp alts XF7 395
Aux switches I/P mounted LHL 130

All of these will add value/power and are much much cheaper to have installed at fac than adding later.

I Also added Cab clearance lamps LNC 80

The order codes are there and the list prices of the options are listed, eng and trans are the most important.

FMB 04-28-2016 09:30 AM

I agree with most of what Harvie suggested. I don't necessarily disagree with the dual alternators, or the 5th Wheel Prep, its just whether you have use for either. I didn't have a use for the dual alternator and when I discussed the 5th Wheel Prep with the dealer, he said it left 5 holes in the bed with plastic caps to cover when not in use. I haven't verified that, but some say you end up with a hole in the bed when you loose the caps.

I went with the B&W Companion Hitch. The dealer installed it and also discounted it since I bought the truck there.

Shop around for best pricing. You aren't that far from Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID.

Thiss 04-28-2016 10:41 AM

I have heard good things from Dave. We have a good local dealer too.

I don't have a 5er of a goose neck need now. I might also flat bed it; Can't I just get the extra electrical junction box and skip the factory options for the flatbed, or does the package make it easier?

I do have a dog box which need a 12v fused link to run a fan. Is there any non 7pin hitch option to get easy connection to?

Busboy 04-28-2016 03:02 PM

5 years ago I would have said if you want to avoid automatic transmission problems... buy a manual transmission. I couldn't get one but my son did. His lasted about 2 years and needed a complete rebuild with parts hardly available. first and reverse are too high a gear for anything really heavy and 6th is not high enough for hi way use. I went with the 68RFE and mine has had not a single problem and parts are readily available. My son traded his 2011 G56 for a new 2013 Aisin, the Aisin has had a couple of problems that turned out to be wiring problems but not before being diagnosed as internal problems, it was then we realized that there are no parts for the Aisin and very few shops have experience with them and even dealers are just changing large parts instead of fixing what is actually wrong.

Stay away from the Uconnect 8.4 at all costs, the HVAC controls, the trailer brake controls, back up cam, bluetooth and NAV are all in there and the screens have bad reliability and again parts are hard to get. Sorry I just can't get past the factory towing package that cuts 5 very large holes in the bed, I thought it was a joke at first, besides if you are going flat deck then you won't need them. The heated and cooled seats are real nice but you have to go leather and that looks terrible after some heavy duty work use. I sometimes wish I had got a 6 seater, the bucket seats are real nice but an extra seat would be handy some times. 2500 or 3500?? coils versus leaf springs, ride versus capacity. I next to never use the sun roof or the power rear slider.

Thiss 04-28-2016 07:59 PM

Thanks guys!

Just whe. I think my preference in order is:

1. G56
2. Aisin
3. 68Rfe

Then all of that gets tossed up. Maybe the 68RFE is the clear choice. Great point on the Uconnect 8.4. I think I will go with the 5.0. Y

I should of mentioned that I will not want to build or modify this trick much with aftermarket parts; at least until the tires wear out and I add a level kit :) I have never spent more than $6k on a rig (Jeeps and Dodges) so the thought of dropping money, after purchasing, into a new one over 50k is not appealing. I wish vinyl or leather were an option with the SLT package.

Do dealers have any wiggle room for modifications on factory orders?

Busboy 04-29-2016 12:30 PM

If you do go 68RFE then the first time you change the oil and 2 filters inside the pan have an after market deep pan with a drain plug handy you'll thank me later.[laugh] Not only does it make changing oil cleaner it drops transmission temps 10-12 deg F when towing.

Harvie 04-29-2016 03:54 PM

When Ram went from the 1st gen 68c Aisin 7/8 input shaft to the current 69c 1.125 or 1.250 input shaft they made the trans a good sub for the G56 and much stronger.

Harvie 04-29-2016 03:59 PM

Can't I just get the extra electrical junction box ?

That is AN OPTION BUT COST MORE THAN THE PANNEL

FOR 5 PREWIRED SWITCHED CIRCUITS THE PANNEL IS A REAL BARGAIN

as for not having a 5th wheel or gooseneck need you can use the picture frame for all sorts of add on stuff like I did for a fueling tank. The 5 "holes" are sealed with plugs when not in use. You can get a used one of CG for 100-125 anytime, the pullrite is the heaviest duty unit and also moves the 5th wheel back 2 inches negating the need for sliders in 99% of the new trailers.

The in prewired and socketed bed power is a real plus for inbed stuff needing power also, it is included in the oem 5th pack. I use it for an led drop light all the time now on my 09.

gsbrockman 04-29-2016 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy (Post 3302854)
If you do go 68RFE then the first time you change the oil and 2 filters inside the pan have an after market deep pan with a drain plug handy you'll thank me later.[laugh] Not only does it make changing oil cleaner it drops transmission temps 10-12 deg F when towing.

Since the '13 & newer 68RFE's and AS69RC's use dual coolers and a thermal bypass valve.....do you think one would see reduced transmission fluid temps with a larger pan???

Busboy 04-30-2016 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by gsbrockman (Post 3302882)
Since the '13 & newer 68RFE's and AS69RC's use dual coolers and a thermal bypass valve.....do you think one would see reduced transmission fluid temps with a larger pan???

The larger aluminum finned pan adds about 2.25 qts of fluid to the 68rfe, the biggest benefit if you do your own oil and filters is the drain plug. Going from a smooth steel pan to a finned aluminum on my 2011 made consistently 10-12 deg lower temps towing about 14k at 70mph on the hi way but hard to say how much it would on the 13's and up. Finned aluminum does transfer heat much quicker and more efficiently so the sump oil will be cooled more on the hi-way regardless of the additional oil cooler capacity. The Aisin of course already has a somewhat finned aluminum pan that has a drain plug. The only thing I have against the AS69RC is the lack of available parts and experienced shops to diagnose problems, both of those may come in time though.

gsbrockman 04-30-2016 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy (Post 3302947)
The larger aluminum finned pan adds about 2.25 qts of fluid to the 68rfe, the biggest benefit if you do your own oil and filters is the drain plug. Going from a smooth steel pan to a finned aluminum on my 2011 made consistently 10-12 deg lower temps towing about 14k at 70mph on the hi way but hard to say how much it would on the 13's and up. Finned aluminum does transfer heat much quicker and more efficiently so the sump oil will be cooled more on the hi-way regardless of the additional oil cooler capacity

I agree 100% on the drain plug benefit as well as the transfer of heat with any aluminum pan or cover....but the 2012 & older trucks do not have the thermal bypass valve that the 2013 & up trucks have....that's why I was curious.

Originally Posted by Busboy (Post 3302947)
The Aisin of course already has a somewhat finned aluminum pan that has a drain plug.

I must have gotten robbed....or the aluminum transmission pan on an AS69RC is new for 2016. :confused:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...ea9f89d3a6.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...646fbcaa6f.jpg

Busboy 04-30-2016 02:08 PM

I must have gotten robbed....or the aluminum transmission pan on an AS69RC is new for 2016.
I would swear my son's 2013 3500 Aisin is aluminum, I've had it up and down a few times very recently.[laugh] I'll scamper under next time I see his truck and get back.

Thiss 05-09-2016 07:48 PM

I ordered a Ram this weekend. 3500 Crew Long Bed 4x4 Tradesmen. I opted for the 68 trans with manual shift Transfercase. I added popular equipment, cold weather, and the snow chief packages. I Uconnect 5.0 with backup camera and assist, and of course a trailer brake. I also went with vinyl seats and flooring. Pretty utilitarian all around, but compared to my 85 with now cup holders, this is a big tech upgrade.

I will add seat covers, headache rack with a rear goal post for my boat, and a bed mat and call it good. Thanks for your input folks!

gsbrockman 05-09-2016 07:59 PM

Let the waitingggggggggggg begin!!! What exterior color did you choose???

Out of curiosity---why did you opt to drop the extra $195 for the Work Grade Vinyl....then add seat covers??? :confused: