Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   What's the Best Way to Lift the Rear 1"? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/whats-best-way-lift-rear-1-a-308138/)

Hoss 11-22-2012 11:10 AM

What's the Best Way to Lift the Rear 1"?

And what quality brands of kits should I be looking at? Is it as simple as putting a 1" lift block in?

6.7L MegaCab 11-22-2012 12:34 PM

Blocks are fairly easy and simple to do. Wouldn't even have to change the shocks. As far as who the best is, I don't know. I wouldn't think there would be much difference from one company to the next. Are 1" blocks available?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hoss 11-22-2012 03:53 PM

There's a company called Ready Lift that makes 1" and 2" block kits. I almost wonder if a 2" is in order because I can't imagine a 1" would make much difference, but it seems silly to put on a 2.5" leveling kit in the front only to raise the back two inches. That pretty much puts me right back where I was. Except taller.

Hoss 11-22-2012 04:05 PM

Just took a peek under the truck and found that it already has 1.5" spacers...

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/u...9A6C2F310B.jpg

I'm thinking of maybe getting 3" blocks and removing the factory spacers for a 1.5" lift in the rear. Not sure I've seen 3" blocks though.

6.7L MegaCab 11-22-2012 07:15 PM

Here you go Hoss:

http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/csbd143.html

took a little digging but this is what I found so far.

Looking at the description for some of these blocks, I kind of wonder if they are in addition to what comes from the factory or factors in the factory blocks?

How do you like the 35's? I'm due for some tires really soon and looking at upsizing, but wasn't sure how big I can go. The most lift I would want is to level the front and that's about it.

Hoss 11-22-2012 08:10 PM

Thanks for the info! However, after doing a little digging I've decided to go with Air Lift air bags. They'll be dual purpose in that I can use them to lift the rear an inch or so but also prevent the truck from squatting when I haul.

I love the 35's. With a 2.5" leveling kit they look awesome on the truck.

6.7L MegaCab 11-22-2012 11:27 PM

Right On! I was going to suggest Firestone Air Bags or the like originally, but wasn't sure if cost was a factor. Boy howdy I wish I had air bags when I was hauling rock for my front/back yard! Anything over 2000 lbs the spare tire would barely rest on the Mag-Hytec diff.

Thanks for the info on the 35's! Adding to my wish list!

donato 11-22-2012 11:34 PM

I was thinking of trying these, they are adjustable from 3/4 to 1.75 inches of lift:

http://thurenfabrication.com/perfshackles.html

It seems like a lot of work, expense, and maintainance for: compressors, air tanks, and air lines for just 1" of lift in the rear.

Another option would be the Carli Deavers, I think they can build you a 1.5" lift:

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do...pringpack.html

It's your dime and your time but I'm more for solid state solutions, I'd rather get Thuren shackles and with the extra cash get head studs or a turbo or something instead of another headache. [duhhh]

Hoss 11-23-2012 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by donato (Post 3148283)

It seems like a lot of work, expense, and maintainance for: compressors, air tanks, and air lines for just 1" of lift in the rear.

It's your dime and your time but I'm more for solid state solutions, I'd rather get Thuren shackles and with the extra cash get head studs or a turbo or something instead of another headache. [duhhh]

Work - From looking at the instructions installing air bags is at least as easy as installing lift blocks or shackles.

Expense - The block kits I found were $150. Those shackles you just linked were $259. Air Lift bags are $284. Cost difference is pretty negligible.

Maintenance - From what I've read the Firestone and Air Lift bags are pretty maintaenance free. There are no air compressors or tanks unless you opt for the "adjust on the fly" options. That would be handy but not worth the extra expense to me. I'll stick the valve through my rear bumper next to the license plate and use my compressor and tire gauge in my garage to adjust when I need to.

The biggest reason I decided to go with the air bags though was because they're dual purpose. They'll give me the little bit of lift that I want while also keeping the truck from squatting when I haul heavy. One of the things I was concerned about when I put on the leveling kit was the appearance of riding a wheelie down the road when I haul heavy. With bags I won't have that problem. So it's a simple solution for two problems.

What I don't know is why I didn't think of it on my own. I had adjustable air shocks on a Chevy S-10 when I was in college so I could haul my dad's boat without dragging the bumper on the ground. Those worked fantastically and they weren't anywhere near the quality or nearly as heavy duty as the bags.

Kurt802 11-23-2012 08:54 PM

I went with Don Thuren's adjustable lift shackles for lifting the rear. Truck rides level with 3" lift coil springs on front. Quality shackles and installation was a piece of cake :) I used the 1" hole (middle) on the shackle.

SOhappy 11-23-2012 09:13 PM

+1 for airbags. I put my valve stems in the rear bumper. They just barely fit on each side of the license plate frame. You can really raise the rearend if you want, but. I run mine at 10 psi, which keeps the rear even with the 2.5in level kit.

New2Diesel 11-24-2012 06:17 PM

"Top Gunz Customs" 1" lift block is the only way to go.

Mike Holmen 11-25-2012 11:13 AM

I suggest that you run an air compressor and an in-cab adjuster for the air bags, so you can adjust on the fly. You can also use the air compressor for other things as well. Its worth the extra money. I usually put the extra air fitting by the rear bumper or under the hood.

You don't need an air tank, just run the air lines right into the air bags. I've done a few trucks over the years and you would be supprised on how often you adjust the amount of air pressure in the bags.

Hoss 11-25-2012 12:38 PM

I may eventually decide to add a compressor and in can controls, but after buying a Carli adjustable track bar last night my truck fund is pretty much exhausted for a while.

Hoss 02-11-2013 08:34 PM

Bringing this thread back to life. I love the Air Lift bags but I've decided I don't want to rely on them to lift the rear. As someone mentioned above, I want something more solid state. So, I'm looking seriously at the Don Thuren shackles.

Anyone else have any more information or details on them? Before I drop $260 I'd like to know more about how they work and how they install.