Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   What are all the lines going to? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/what-all-lines-going-330325/)

easyslider 05-21-2018 08:58 PM

What are all the lines going to?

I have a 2012 Ram 3500 that does not have the DEF system from the factory, I was told this was the last ones that did not have the DEF system on it? I am thinking about putting a larger exhaust on to increase the MPG and want to know what are all the metal lines going into the factory exhaust for? The new exhaust will not have places for these lines and want to know if I need them or what?

SOhappy 05-25-2018 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by easyslider (Post 3348621)
I have a 2012 Ram 3500 that does not have the DEF system from the factory, I was told this was the last ones that did not have the DEF system on it? I am thinking about putting a larger exhaust on to increase the MPG and want to know what are all the metal lines going into the factory exhaust for? The new exhaust will not have places for these lines and want to know if I need them or what?

The new exhaust may or may not have "bungs" to attach the lines.
And I really doubt you're going to get much better MPGS without a full delete. Need to delete the DPF, EGR and stop the regens.

easyslider 05-25-2018 02:57 PM

My truck does not have the DPF system, I was told that 2012 was the last trucks built without the DPF system? So the EGR delete is the only one that needs to be done? But what about all the lines going to the exhaust? What do I do about them? And what else can I do to get better MPG?

Scotty 05-26-2018 07:19 AM

All 6.7 Rams from 2007 up have the diesel particulate filter (DPF) and exhaust gas recirculating cooler/system (EGR) unless someone already deleted it.
The diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) was added in 2013.

BobTipton 05-27-2018 10:37 PM

Unless you do full deletes, you'll get a bunch of codes if you just swap out the exhaust. I don't know what all of those lines/plugs do in detail, but mostly they send readings back to the ECM regarding the 'health' of the exhaust system. Unplugging would like cause the truck to go into 'limp' mode pretty quickly.

SOhappy 05-29-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by easyslider (Post 3348735)
My truck does not have the DPF system, I was told that 2012 was the last trucks built without the DPF system? So the EGR delete is the only one that needs to be done? But what about all the lines going to the exhaust? What do I do about them? And what else can I do to get better MPG?

As a previous poster said, your truck DOES have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter, looks like a big catalytic converter in front of the muffler) system from the factory. It is the last year not to have a DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid, or "SCR") system.

You'll need a delete to get better MPGs*. At a minimum, this requires a tuner (RaceME, EFILive) and a DPF delete downpipe exhaust. Many on-line shops will sell you the kit. Starts around $1200 for the parts. You don't need the EGR delete kit (tuner turns it off) but it cleans up your engine bay.

Based on your questions you should consult a reputable diesel shop in your area.

*this is one of the reasons why I sold my 2011 and got a 2015, as they do emission testing in my county. The 2015 with DEF gets much better mpgs than my 2011 did. Like 13 mpg vs. 18 mpg on average. Half as many oil changes compared to the 2011 as well.