4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

To upgrade or not 2005 to 2016

Old 10-10-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To upgrade or not 2005 to 2016

Just wondering for all that have made the switch to 4th gen. What do you like and what do you miss if anything.

Bought my current 05 new and only has 93k on the ticker but just thinking it may be time for an upgrade while i can still get some cash out of my old one.
Thoughts??

Thanks
Old 10-12-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been back and forth on both sides of that fence (3rd gen, 4th gen, 3rd gen, 4th gen). I love the mechanical simplicity of the 5.9 3rd gens. But...the ride, comfort, stock power, 6-speed auto, factory exhaust brake, factory trailer brake, larger back seat, etc of the 4th gens make them the better truck hands down. Let's face it- the 3rd gens are aging and mechanical stuff doesn't age well, BUT- if I had a low mileage example like yours it would be really hard to dump it. One caveat- unless deleted, I would avoid the 2010-2012 4th gens if you can. And just a data point, my 2015 is getting the same or better mpgs than my 2003 S.O., and has nearly twice the power and torque. I find that quite amazing.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:33 PM

I wouldn't, I would take my 2G or 3G back in a minute. I have been looking for a good 2G to replace my 4G with
Old 10-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by wimpy76
Just wondering for all that have made the switch to 4th gen. What do you like and what do you miss if anything.

Bought my current 05 new and only has 93k on the ticker but just thinking it may be time for an upgrade while i can still get some cash out of my old one.
Thoughts??

Thanks
----------------
If I were you, I would keep your 2005 Dodge CTD CR.

I don't personally own a 4th Gen but do drive alot of them and also work on some of them. The emissions systems (DPF, DOC etc.) are a pain to deal with! Dodge still has that EGR "cleaning" you have to do at 67,000 miles and in my opinion, that has to be one of the nastiest jobs I have done on a diesel pickup! Also, the 4th Gens have had issues with the track bars breaking off the frame where it attaches on the drivers side frame! I know three of my friends who have had it happen and they said they lost steering control.

Anyway, good luck with your decision Sir!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
If I were you, I would keep your 2005 Dodge CTD CR.

I don't personally own a 4th Gen but do drive alot of them and also work on some of them. The emissions systems (DPF, DOC etc.) are a pain to deal with!
While there may still be some issues, the 2013 & newer DEF pickups are more trouble free than the 2007.5 through 2012 years.
Dodge still has that EGR "cleaning" you have to do at 67,000 miles and in my opinion, that has to be one of the nastiest jobs I have done on a diesel pickup!
Actually......the EGR valve and EGR cooler cleaning are no longer a service required at the 67,500 mile interval (or the 135,000 mile interval or the 202,500 mile interval, etc.) on the 2013 & newer DEF pickups. They use so little EGR that RAM / Cummins must have decided it's no longer necessary. All that's needed on the '13 & newer DEF pickups in 67,500 intervals is the CCV filter.

Also, the 4th Gens have had issues with the track bars breaking off the frame where it attaches on the drivers side frame! I know three of my friends who have had it happen and they said they lost steering control.
The weld issues were only on some the '13 & '14 trucks. My '14 has 179,524 miles and all welds are good. I have, however, witnessed some of the ones that have failed on various forums.

Wimpy76........don't be afraid to upgrade if you want to. As with LOTS of forums, seems as if only people with problems or habitual complainers post on lots of forums. Very seldom does one see, with a large amount of frequency, threads titled "My truck has been great" "Best truck ever" "My truck exceeds my expectations" yada yada yada.

I'm at 179,524 miles, 279 idle hours, and 3,340 drive hours (53.7 avg mph) since February 20th, 2014. I've had one door lock actuator, a water pump, and 11.8" / 300mm rear axle pinion bearings replaced under warranty. My average oil change intervals are in the 13k to 14k range. In addition......all of my front end parts are OEM and my tires wear great. The AISIN AS69RC transmission has been a great transmission for my use. I've only been out 3 driveshaft u-joints (trying to chase down a minute vibration) and regular maintenance out of pocket wise.

Just yesterday I delivered two new 40' GatorMade trailers from the plant in Somerset, KY to the retail store in Marietta, GA. The Radio Flyer has taken anything I toss at him....
Attached Thumbnails To upgrade or not 2005 to 2016-gmihaul10132016.jpg  
Old 10-14-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Strage, my 2014 recommends the EGR service at 67500. Wish it didn't. sounds like a $700 plus cleaning project I guess. Might just trade if I can get enough out of it rather than spend that kind of money on "Maintenance". Probably not but it is frustrating after having a trouble free 2007 5.9. Do like the additional power and fuel milage is great, 20% better or more on the 2014.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by donhov
Strage, my 2014 recommends the EGR service at 67500. Wish it didn't. sounds like a $700 plus cleaning project I guess. Might just trade if I can get enough out of it rather than spend that kind of money on "Maintenance". Probably not but it is frustrating after having a trouble free 2007 5.9. Do like the additional power and fuel milage is great, 20% better or more on the 2014.
All that's needed on the '13 & newer DEF pickups in 67,500 intervals is the CCV filter.

I'll edit my post above to reflect that.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE=gsbrockman;3313680]While there may still be some issues, the 2013 & newer DEF pickups are more trouble free than the 2007.5 through 2012 years.

Actually......the EGR valve and EGR cooler cleaning are no longer a service required at the 67,500 mile interval (or the 135,000 mile interval or the 202,500 mile interval, etc.) on the 2013 & newer DEF pickups. They use so little EGR that RAM / Cummins must have decided it's no longer necessary. All that's needed on the '13 & newer DEF pickups in 67,500 intervals is the CCV filter.

The weld issues were only on some the '13 & '14 trucks. My '14 has 179,524 miles and all welds are good. I have, however, witnessed some of the ones that have failed on various forums.

Wimpy76........don't be afraid to upgrade if you want to. As with LOTS of forums, seems as if only people with problems or habitual complainers post on lots of forums. Very seldom does one see, with a large amount of frequency, threads titled "My truck has been great" "Best truck ever" "My truck exceeds my expectations" yada yada yada.

I'm at 179,524 miles, 279 idle hours, and 3,340 drive hours (53.7 avg mph) since February 20th, 2014. I've had one door lock actuator, a water pump, and 11.8" / 300mm rear axle pinion bearings replaced under warranty. My average oil change intervals are in the 13k to 14k range. In addition......all of my front end parts are OEM and my tires wear great. The AISIN AS69RC transmission has been a great transmission for my use. I've only been out 3 driveshaft u-joints (trying to chase down a minute vibration) and regular maintenance out of pocket wise.
-------------------------------
GSBrockman:

You better check your information on the 2014 Dodge CTD CR Trucks with respect to the EGR cleaning because as DTR Member donhov said his truck called for it and I also just helped a guy with another 2014 do one about three weeks ago and AGAIN,.....it has to be one of the NASTIEST jobs ever on a diesel!

I guess your statement of "don't be afraid to upgrade if you want to. As with LOTS of forums, seems as if only people with problems or habitual complainers post on lots of forums" may have been directed at me! If so, let me tell you I am not a "habitual complainer" and my motto is "to each his own." But the OP here on DTR has the right to hear "both sides of the story" on these newer 4th Gen Trucks. For what it is worth, the 4th Gen Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Pickups are STILL having tons of front end issues INCLUDING that problem with the welds breaking as I stated in my post above! And these front end problems are WELL documented as well as Fiat/Chrysler STILL dealing with thousands of recalls and lawsuits on the trucks. I am glad to hear you have had good luck with yours but many owners have NOT been that lucky Sir.

Respectfully,

John_P
Old 10-15-2016, 12:44 PM

GSBrockman:

You better check your information on the 2014 Dodge CTD CR Trucks with respect to the EGR cleaning because as DTR Member donhov said his truck called for it and I also just helped a guy with another 2014 do one about three weeks ago and AGAIN,.....it has to be one of the NASTIEST jobs ever on a diesel!
I'm in the process of taking pics of the owners manual and / or diesel supplement to verify there is NO prescribed cleaning of the EGR valve or EGR cooler on a '13 & newer CTD....
GSBrockman:
I guess your statement of "don't be afraid to upgrade if you want to. As with LOTS of forums, seems as if only people with problems or habitual complainers post on lots of forums" may have been directed at me! If so, let me tell you I am not a "habitual complainer" and my motto is "to each his own." But the OP here on DTR has the right to hear "both sides of the story" on these newer 4th Gen Trucks. For what it is worth, the 4th Gen Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Pickups are STILL having tons of front end issues INCLUDING that problem with the welds breaking as I stated in my post above! And these front end problems are WELL documented as well as Fiat/Chrysler STILL dealing with thousands of recalls and lawsuits on the trucks. I am glad to hear you have had good luck with yours but many owners have NOT been that lucky Sir.

Respectfully,

John_P
John P....
I never directed that comment towards you.

How many threads are started by users on a forum singing their truck's praises??? Maybe 5%........

How many threads are started by users on a forum bashing their trucks......or seeking a solution to a problem??? Maybe 95%....

As stated again.......I never directed that comments towards you.

Now to find my manuals.....or a link to that from another forum.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:50 PM

This is a screenshot from a link to a 2013 manual.

My '14 manual is the same.

If anyone can supply me a pic from a 2013 RAM 2500 / 3500 & newer manual that states there is an EGR valve and EGR cooler cleaning requirement in 67,500 mile intervals.......I'll tuck my tail between my legs, admit I was wrong, and learn from it.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:12 PM

Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Administrator

GS Brockman:

I see what you have posted but for some reason my friends 2014 as well as DTR Member donhov had to do this service. Maybe Fiat/Chrysler messed up in some way. I can tell you this, his EGR cooler was FULL of soot and the compressor wheel on the turbo also had a "buildup" of that same soot around the compressor wheel so bad that the soot was causing "scraping" lines on the turbo housing! The stuff looks like "Kingsford Charcoal Briquets" that have been smashed into a powder and then poured into the EGR cooler and the intake side of the turbo! I wish I had taken pictures for all of you to see!

BTW,....In addition to my points on the front end issues on the 4th Gens here is a link for you to read on a CRACKED FRAME:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6/#post3313545

I didn't even realize the 4th Gens were having those kind of problems! WOW!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GS Brockman:.....
I didn't even realize the 4th Gens were having those kind of problems! WOW!
Less than one percent I'd venture a guess?

The 1st, 2nd (VP44 anyone?) and 3rd gens (Ball joints, steering gear, ball joints, 47RE/48RE trans and ball joints) all had their issues too- but they're still the best trucks on the road and I wouldn't drive anything else.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Ball joints and steering aren't that improved for the 4th Gen either. When compared to the added truck weight
Old 10-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by AKGUY09
Ball joints and steering aren't that improved for the 4th Gen either. When compared to the added truck weight
I guess I have The Unicorn Edition.........

181,079 miles on all OEM front end parts. Tires still wear good with 14k---15k rotations. Never an incidence of death wobble.