4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rotella synthetic and oil smell from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotella synthetic and oil smell from exhaust

Hey everyone, been awhile since ive posted on here!!

I have a new(new to me) truck now, 2014 Ram 3500 4x4 SRW now with 96k miles(bought it with 68k), love this truck!! Its the nicest and most expensive vehicle ive ever owned and im very picky about taking care of it and maintenance intervals.

So i decided to go with Rotella full synthetic T6 oil for the most recent oil change. my truck has 96k miles on it now and before i used valvoline 15w40. I never had an oil smell from my exhaust but since ive changed over to rotella T6 ive noticed the smell of oil coming from my exhaust. Yes i stuck my nose in my tail pipe to confirm it. No blue smoke, no loss of oil and zero leaks on the motor.

Is this common when running full synthetic?
Anyone else have this happen?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:33 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 65fury
Is this common when running full synthetic?
No, not common with full synthetic. That said, it is common with Rosmella. It should go away soon, a hundred miles or so IIRC.
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 08-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Thanks, i have read up on Rotella and that seems to be a common saying(rosmella) haha but ive got 1500 miles on this oil change already. Id have thought the smell would have gone away by now.

Mind you the smell isnt of "burnt" oil.... just raw oil. I pulled my dipstick to check oil level and also to smell the oil and it smells exactly like it does coming out the exhaust.

I think on my next oil change ill be moving to Amsoil anyway, thats what i just put in my transmission and will be switching all fluids over to eventually.

Thanks and if anyone else has any input please share!

Jason
Old 08-19-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are not consuming oil don't sweat it. If she is drinking that stuff like a good quality Pilsner Beer get excited.
When I was running High way tractors i turned many a barrel of Rotella into Used Engine Oil.
The only thing I fond the I liked better was the chevron semi synthetic oil. We tried Amsoil full synthetic and when we figured out our cost per mile on oil changes it wasn't worth it.
This was with the old conventional ***** Power and the Electronic Kitty Kats and Detroit Diesels.

What I found if it works for you and you are happy do oil analysis and run with it.

Ken.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:52 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I tried Rotella for two changes and didn't like it. Went back to Dello
Old 08-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Well the oil smell from the exhaust on my old 92 cummins... oil burning... tire shredding.... smokn S.O.B was fitting for the truck. But my truck is nice and still looks new so pulling up to a job with the smell of oil coming out my exhaust isnt sitting well with me.

I think ill switch back to Valvoline if Amsoil doesnt give me the results im looking for. Im going to keep an eye on my oil level and see if it changes.

I know most people argue oil brands alot and whether mpg is gained with synthetic and such, but i have noticed a consistent nearly half mile per gallon better with the full synthetic Rotella and i drive the same 100miles per day so know what my average mpg has always been.

If Amsoil can give me an extra 0.5 mpg, then its worth it... i think

Thanks
Jason