4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Suncoast converter review.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Suncoast converter review.

Gentlemen of the DTR, the following review also comes with the install of ARP 625 Head Studs and the GDP 75hp Injector nozzles. Please believe me when I say Richards install instructions are 100% flawless. If you have basic tool and mechanic knowledge then you will be fine with this install. Take particular time torque-ing the studs and dremel-ing the aluminum to clear the studs. As far as the converter goes, I had never done this before. When I called Suncoast all I did was tell them what I needed and how I drove the truck. Of course, this will eventually lead to a full suncoast transmission.

Review: I did the entire install in about 5 days working approx. 2-3hrs on and an hour off with no more than 6 hours a day. (This was the only way my wife would not punch me.) I started the install with a full delete truck with exactly 10,000 miles on it. I followed the instructions step by step and all went flawless with the nozzles and studs. Once buttoned up I took for a spin and ran the H&S on "HOT", adjusting de-fuel and boost before. I was really trying to see if I could slip the stock converter and could not. No matter how much I brake boosted or launched the stock converter held strong and shifted perfectly. EGT's never exceeded 1600deg. I then drove the truck home and began the install of the converter. I had a very good friend of mine help me with this install because I have never done this before. OBTW, he is a certified John Deer mechanic with about 15yrs of experience. Anyway, he knew everything about the install. We had the truck about 2 feet off the ground and used a motorcycle jack (J&S) to jack up and lower the transmission. "EASY AS PIE" Once he had this install buttoned up I was very carefull on the first drive and start-up. I put the H&S on "No Power" and drive in the local area for about 30 miles, never at full throttle.

We then went back to my house, checked all the bolts and then set the H&S on "HOT". Gentlemen, every single time my truck shifts into 2nd and 3rd it barks the tires. Its the 1st time I have ever heard this. The only negative thing I have to say is that with light throttle application it shifts "VERY" hard. I don't care though because it feels as strong as a manual valve body race car.

In closing, feel free to ask questions. I took over 200 photos of the install but the last time I sent photos to fellow members asking for help with posting I got none. If you truly need them I will think about it. Anyway, my next step is getting some help with a full fuel upgrade.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What stall did you go with for the converter? You running a stock transmission and turbo? Sounds awesome, keep us posted on well it works down the road as well.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Stock transmission and turbo for now. As I stated above I am sure I will eventually have to get a new one but its still holding like a champ. The very next upgrades are going to be to the CP3 and probably a Raptor 150. The converter is a 2000rpm stall. Honestly I have no idea if it feels any different than stock except for much firmer shift recognition and you can definately feel the TC Lockup. As far as the daily driveability its flawless.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:07 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Any ideas where I should be looking for the CP3 upgrade?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
As far as loading the pictures, I would get a photobucket account, then post them. This is the easiest way, and it works well for me. FWIW, I would not load any video there, after about a year their link breaks on the vid. Use youtube for that.

As far as CP3's go, I'd call wicked diesel, Industrial Injection, or Lloyd Mills at Mid Atlantic diesel. Good luck getting to Lloyd, but it's worth a shot. I personally have not seen any upgrade kits for the 6.7 CP3, nor do I know if it's the same pump.

Turbo... I'm happy with HTT's customer service, I'd use them again. You just have to get on the phone with turbo shops and ask them what they would recommend for a turbo. I saw a stocker over a S480 (I think) advertised for the 6.7 from industrial injection, that's what I'd start off with.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Brother, I have a photobucket account. Due to the terrible nature of living in "Marine World" on the East Coast, no matter how much you pay the internet still stinks. I have tried to upload (1) one photo on here and after 45min I gave up. Anyway, I think the truck is going into hibernation very shortly because I am enroute to a far distant land, again!! The good thing is that DTR, and you, will be there for me in those places so stand by for parts resting in place till I get home.

In the mean time, I guess its time to push that stock turbine and transmission to the limit.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Are all of your photos on photobucket? Shoot me your photobucket account link. Are your using the img bb code?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by New2Diesel
Any ideas where I should be looking for the CP3 upgrade?
Depends on how much extra fuel you want. Wicked's bag of parts will add 10-15% of fuel capacity. There are bigger options available if you want more. The 10 CP3 seems to support 200HP sized sticks fairly well. The bag of parts and a shim for the fuel rail has been enough for most people. You will need a different turbo if you want any hope to burn any of that fuel.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe I am just being blind since its my 2nd day without a cig and a little jittery, but I don't see anywhere there is a lift pump discussed? needs to do that too and suprised the stock one is keeping up now anyways.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
The Guru

You can do the standard fass or airdog upgrades, just like the 3rd gen stuff. Heard a few 10 trucks being around 500rwhp area, and still run stock fuel system. I'm going to install a fass 150 on mine when I get a chance, I just want the 3 micron filter and water seperator that the fass system has. I would do the vulcan draw straw mod for the fuel pick-up and remove the stock lift pump.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

He said it in #3.

Are the 6.7 CP3's the same as the 5.9?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
He said it in #3.

Are the 6.7 CP3's the same as the 5.9?
thanks and no, 6.7 flows nearly 20% more stock vs 5.9 stock
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

So, the II bag of parts are not compatible... ? Or, have they made a kit for the 6.7?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

And for the love of pete, will at least ONE major diesel performance parts website UPDATE THEIR DANG SITE?!?!?!?!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Im pretty sure II has a kit, and I think a few others....

And your right, 6.7 has been out for 5yrs and its still the red headed step child.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suncoast converter review.