4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Steering Wheel play/road wander help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel play/road wander help

Last few months our 2012 4wd mega cab has been a bit loose on the roads, its my wifes truck and doesnt really enjoy it much lately. It wanders on the road a bit and constantly correcting the steering wheel. The last mod I did was install a Thuren King steering stabilizer on it and it was sometime after that we had this arise.

Got alignment on the truck Friday and nothing noticeable in handling. Its set to Don Thurens specs via his website. Toe 0.00, Caster 4.0, they said these trucks cant adjust the camber(this true?) so the left is -0.3, right is -0.7. The shop said the ball joints had some wear to them and might help get the camber back within spec if they're replaced...if thats the case will that help with the road wander?

We've been running toyo MT 35" tires for 90k miles which is the life of the truck. Been looking into this for the last week or so, really need to fix it...but know I dont want to chase it because these parts are pricey.

At a stop light I can turn the wheel about 1" side to side till you can feel the tires engage. So I pulled into my shop and with truck off my wife was turning steering wheel to where it firmed up while I looked at everything. Shaft is tight and responsive to the slightest touch going into the steering box. Out of the box the rest, pitman arm etc isnt as responsive...it still moves but not at the rate the shaft is moving at the box. It's just a slower response. I thought it wasnt going to move at all. Visually as everything moved under the truck I couldnt see any slop etc. Does this sound like the box going bad? Or is it something else? Sorry it's long but wanted to get out as much info as i had. Any other questions and I'll post them. Thanks for your time.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You might try lifting up the truck and taking the tires off. Sometimes the weight on the components can mask or make it difficult to see any loose parts.

Road conditions, wind conditions, and tires can all be something to look at, Are you running E rated tires? Fully inflated?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Could be your intermediate gear (between the steering box and the steering wheel). Those would go loose on the 3rd gens. Just have someone turn the wheel back and forth (engine off) and check every component in the steering system for looseness.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look into a steering sector shaft support... probably one of the best pieces you can do to help your steering. Also, the stock track bar bushing wear out after about 20k miles. Look at an adjustable one from Thuren Fabrication or Carli suspension.