4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

And It Starts.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 AM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been hoping someone makes a steel piston for the 6.7L, I'm going to run the QSB 6.7L piston in my build. I should get the block back from the machine shop at weeks end. Yesterday, the machine shop called me to tell me that my 6.7L had a dime sized hole in the oil pump area. The block was my 01 53 block 5.9L, that had pushed a dime sized hole into the oil pump area, from the piston oil squirter. So weird, first time I've seen that issue.

I just re-surfeaced the deck of the 6.7L block by 4thou, just cause I want to run the stock head gasket as there is no other head gasket options available from cummins. The head valves have been moved closer to the head deck surface as well, just to improve air flow. We are getting stock casting heads to flow over 300 cfm at 0.500 lift. Stock is around 180cfm.

My next 6.7L I'm going to run my own designed fire rings
Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Well......

Fleece just got a huge chunk of change from me!

Now it really starts.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:51 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HAHA, I cannot wait to see which route you choose. My truck is so much better now with the new manifold
Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Well I called up Caleb today, ordered a really nice Fleece Performance T Shirt. Size XL.

It was 4017 bucks and some change.

Came with a free Billet S466/83 .90 (T4) and a complete 2nd gen swap kit including the Steed T4 mani with the waste gate port.

Should be at my house in a couple of weeks.

Soon as all of it is home and accounted for the old guy is gonna take a ride over to Coys Diesel Specialties in Gonzales, LA. Pull the head, have it trued, ARP 625's, DDP 90's and slap on all the new goodies.

Cant wait to see how it does.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
WOW, that install is gonna be insane!!

I'm still waiting to get home from training to install this Suncoast full race transmission. I still don't know if I need it
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Well I called up Caleb today, ordered a really nice Fleece Performance T Shirt. Size XL.

It was 4017 bucks and some change.

Came with a free Billet S466/83 .90 (T4) and a complete 2nd gen swap kit including the Steed T4 mani with the waste gate port.

Should be at my house in a couple of weeks.

Soon as all of it is home and accounted for the old guy is gonna take a ride over to Coys Diesel Specialties in Gonzales, LA. Pull the head, have it trued, ARP 625's, DDP 90's and slap on all the new goodies.

Cant wait to see how it does.
Wow, expensive stuff. Keep us posted on your build.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Wow, expensive stuff. Keep us posted on your build.
Yeah, its pricey, but its a complete kit. I wont have to hunt up anything. I sure hope Fleece knows what they are talking bout, but I did a bunch of homework and they seem to be straight shooter.

They just recently did a build and made a tad over 1k on a 07 6.7 with a single S480. Impressive to say the least.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 PM
The Guru

We just finished up a big power 5.9L build as well. 4.5-07 Mono therms, r&r rods, 14mm studs main gridle, intake removed head, big injectors (maxed out), triple S364's (billet wheels), big CP's from t&c, hellman intake. Should easily make over 1000rwhp on fuel. the owner is planning on running a healthy dose of spray as well. Mono-therms are darn tuff, may more durablity than the stockers.

Hate to say my 6.7L build is going to be boring, just going to run a cam and 12v/24v rods. The rest is just good blueprinting. Going to run 425 for head studs. The block/head surfaces have been trued up way better than the factory. Had a set of nozzles done up to 75% awhile back. Going with 6.7L QSB pistons, just cause they have more heat treatment than the stockers and are cheap. Planning on running two CP's and a custom billet rail that we have in the works. I probably pick-up the engine next week from the machine shop.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 AM

Mike that is gonna be far from boring.

Should make for one heck of a daily driver that is rock solid reliable but will still embarrass someone from time to time.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM
The Guru

The cam is just a re-ground 24VP cam into a stage 3 colt (I dropped off three cams to get re-ground, kinda like recycling). I installed a hamilton 188/220 cam in that 5.9L, the cam gear fell onto the cam way to easy. Been abit worried about that one. I should have measured the diameter to see the difference between the two different cam manufacturers.

Most of the time you have to put the cam gear into an oven for 60 minutes and then have to beat the gear onto the cam. Was told you can't run the billet cam retainer/bolt in a common rail. Going to see about that one.

The cam and the 12/24VP rods suppose to have interferance issues in a 6.7L, so this might be a mock-up and see. I have a few sets of R&R rods, so I might give that go as well.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 AM

Well here is an update.

As posted, I called and placed the order with Fleece on April 2nd.

Caleb at Fleece told me it would be two, maybe three weeks and I would have all of my stuff. Great. Would fall right along the timeline of the work getting done.

Called them around the 15th of the month, said that the majority of the parts were in stock, the turbo work was done, and they were just waiting on a Steed manifold. Understandable. Steed is high in demand right now, and Im in no huge rush.

Called back on May 3rd to get an order update. This was a Thursday morning. Caleb was happy to tell me that everything was in place, the order was being boxed up and that it would shipout 1st thing Friday morning. I was ecstatic and told him to email me tracking number and an invoice the second it shipped, which he assured me would happen.

Along rolls the morning of the 8th. No email, no shipping notice, no charges to my card. Curious as to what was the status of the order I called up Caleb again. He told me that he was not sure why the order didnt ship out Friday, as it was ready to go, and that someone had dropped the ball. He said that he would personally see that it was shipped out that day. I said ok, as soon as it ships, get me a tracking number.

Along rolls the Morning of Thursday, May 10th. No email, no shipping notice, no charges to my card. Curious as to what was the status of the order I called up Caleb again. He informed me that there was a huge mix up and someone used the manifold that he had allotted for me on another customers truck. I wasnt to happy about that, but he did tell me that he had another Steed Manifold in stock, albeit a non gated manifold and it was mine. I said that was fine, just please ship it out, as Im getting a little anxious to get all of these parts in place and get this work done. Once again, as soon as it ships, a tracking number and invoice please. Caleb was terribly apologetic and assured me that he would take care of this.

Fast forward to May 11th, afternoon of Friday. Still hadnt heard from Fleece. No email, no phone call, no tracking info, no charges to my account. Getting a little perturbed now, I give Caleb a call. He then informs me that there was yet ANOTHER mix up, and someone used the compressor housing from the turbo that was to be shipped to me, on another customers vehicle. He told me that they would have to machine a new one for me and it would be done sometime next week.

Well, this is where I draw the line. Customer service is paramount to me, and this was completely unacceptable. In fact, its ridiculous. I confirmed with Caleb that the parts had indeed not been shipped, and at that time I told them that my money would be spent elsewhere.

I can understand that custom work takes time, but I feel I had been more than patient. A couple of days shy of 7 weeks for an order that I was told 2 weeks, three tops. Then the whole shady, parts on another customers vehicle fiasco. Fleece apparently makes some big power, and their shop supposedly has a good reputation. Well, this is something Ill never experience first hand, as they will not get a penny of my money.

Bottom line, Fleece Performance. Killer parts, allow three to six years for delivery, if they ever show up.

Now, me being me, I always have a contingency plan. Mr Reliable, Rip Rook himself has put a kit on the market for a second gen swap. Full everything needed to do the swap, your choice of a Steed or Stainless Diesel Manifold, and choice of turbo. I went with the Stainless manifold, cause no Steeds were available, and a billet S467/83 .90, race cover too.

Here is the killer part, the swap kit was 795. The manifold was 650, the turbo 1400. Rip gave me a package deal of 2750 on everything (plus what it cost to ship). Thats 1200 bucks cheaper than Fleece.

Best part is, Rip has called me twice to talk about the setup, what my goals for the truck are, and what he has going on at his shop, testing new turbo setups, etc.... Also got a couple of calls from his guys putting the order together to confirm certain things about my setup, to make sure the right stuff gets sent out. Top notch customer service in my book. Of course everything Ive ever dealt with, with Rip, has been top notch. Rip even told me that a majority of stuff he had in stock, the turbo would be there Monday or Tuesday, and everything would be heading my way next week. Quite a change from a 7 week wait for nothing.

Another little thing that I like about Rips kit, is that instead of machining the exhaust house to HX40, he makes his downpipe custom to the factory S400 housing. So if you want to do a turbo swap, you dont have to hunt up any adapters.

Cant wait to see how this works out.

Soon as my magical parts from the Great White North (ehh!) show up, Ill be set!

*wink wink*
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 AM
The Guru

Rip is awesome to deal with. He also has a decent connection to F1 nozzles, which are probably at the tops for nozzles.

Sounds like everything is in place and soon you'll be mashing the pedal onto the floor buddy. Hopefully that head has shipped or will be very soon. The spare 6.7L head I had need abit more work than what I expected. Dave does all our cummins/duramax heads, and does awesome work. Done a few head with flow numbers at the 300 cfm at 0.600 lift (intake). Stock is around 180 cfm, and by the way, the duramax head flow less than the cummins stuff.

I'm really curious on how the S467/0.90 83mm T-4 will work out for ya. We just built a twin set-up running the diverter valve (aka spool-up valve) and it works awesome.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Mike, that sounds good buddy!

Like I said, quality custom stuff I have no problem waiting for. I know it will be worth it.

The whole, stealing parts from an order for another, that I dont sit well with....

I cant wait for the head to show up. Im figuring that by the end of the month I should have pretty much everything in place and done. Then Ill ship you my head back up.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM
The Guru

I'm planning on installing one of these onto your old 6.7L head

http://www.zzcustomfabrication.com/6..._entrance.html

We are also working on designing custom billet 6.7L fuel rails, probably be available later in the year.

Found out that 12V/24VP rods fit inside a 6.7L but there is a secert trick to get them to fit. The R&R rods end caps go in between the cam lobes, way way to close to run them that way as the cam walks around some but there is a better way.

Blake, take lots of pictures and maybe post a video on how the truck sounds afterwards.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 AM

That ZZ stuff is awesome. A bit much for what im looking for to be honest.

Rip and I had a long discussion about the S400 turbo. He thinks it may be a bit much for what I need, but I will run it and see. With the 90 DDP nozzles, I think it shouldnt be too laggy. If it is, we will look into a S366 with a T4 foot. Or maybe a S464. Aint decided yet. Will run it and see. With the 2nd gen swap, swapping out turbos should be a breeze. My only concern with the 366 would be drive pressure.

I wanted a Steed mani, but Rip said there were several weeks out, and that the Stainless, while it would flow less on the top end, should help with spool on the bottom end.

Its gonna be a testing game, but will be fun that is for sure.

Probably my paranoia kicking in, but I find my top end has gotten a bit chattery. More timing rattle than I would like, but nothing to extreme. I want to run the Smarty on it, just to see how it does. If Marco ever gets to releasing it before the end of the world.

I have picked up an interesting quirk. When I get around 30psi the VGT will loose boost and blow off like it has a wastegate. Have tried hunting up for a boost leak but found none. I think it may be on the exhaust side of things, but cant find it there either. Kinda strange. Checked the blocker plates on the manifold, no signs of a leak, as thats usually the culprit. No signs of a manifold gasket that let go either. Not sure what is up with it. Coy is gonna give it a full once over when he has it apart.

I will make sure to take a bunch of pics and some videos. The 6.7 is gonna sound great with the 2nd gen sound of old!

Quick Reply: And It Starts.....