4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

smarty jr j67 - EGR disable and software questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarty jr j67 - EGR disable and software questions

I just ordered a smarty jr j-67 for my 2010 2500. Farther down the road, I would like to do the DPF deletes. But, for now, I would like to improve the fuel effeciency and disable (not delete) the EGR on the otherwise stock truck.

After reading through the manuals on the madselectronics.com web site, I am unclear about disabling the EGR. Is it possible to disable the EGR without doing the DPF deletes? If so, do I need the normal or the ME software?

Also, which tunes are recommended for for the best fuel effeciency? I have heard this varies due to driving habits. But would like some advise on a starting point.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can not answer for 100%, sure on the Smarty Jr, but if it is like the standard Smarty. Then you can use the non-ME software, with just un-plugged the EGR valve on the (as facing the steering wheel looking forward) LH side of the truck. Tape these ends to keep out moisture.
Also you can un-plugged the EGR vavle with out installing the Smarty. You will get a CEL, but this will cause you no issues and will clear up after you plug in the EGR again.
Un-plugging the EGR will get about 1 to 2 MPH with out the Smarty installed. With the Standard Smarty installed and using the 23M verision CaTCHER level 3 of swoftware. I am seeing about a 4.3 MPG improvement over stock.
I see the biggest gain in MPG when towing my 5er with the Smarty.
Jim W.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 AM

So you have the standard version, not the ME version correct?
The ME version disables the EGR automatically. I imagine the standard version does not.

You can unplug the egr valve, and it will disable it, but you will get the CEL.

I have the ME version, with the DPF delete, and run mine on the +40 Seting. I am getting about 1-2 MPG better than before, running stock with the EGR unplugged.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ME disables EGR and DPF.

Standard version leaves things alone.

If you are NOT going to do deletes right away, do not load ME. It will plug DPF and you will have issues. This is not a smarty problem, all tuners/programmers will do this. with the added fueling etc you want the ability to go into REGEN to keep things cleaned out and flowing until you actually do the deletes.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not totally true. Don't unplug the EGR valve with the Smarty installed. It will derate the engine approx 40 hp with this unplugged. The Smarty and jr in S mode still takes over control of the EGR valve and will disable its function as it does in the ME mode.

If you are not running any uploader, then unplugging the EGR is OK.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM

What are the opinions on the different timing levels? Does the timing level impact fuel effeciency?

I don't do really heavy towing, so power is not really much of an issue. I'm trying to improve fuel effeciency as I put a lot of miles on the truck.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending on the program you are running, there are already timing adjustments in the software. Further advancing timing is a touchy subject. Some report that advancing too far will cause very high instantaneous cylinder pressures and possible head gasket damage. The more advanced timing settings may be more benefit to aftermarket injector users.