Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   Smarty Confusion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/smarty-confusion-285751/)

dmurdock 02-19-2011 12:51 PM

Smarty Confusion

I've been reading up on the smarty for the 2010's but there are some things I can't just be 100% sure about (and maybe others are in the same boat so hopefully this will help them too).

1- There is the SmartyJr6.7 and the SmartyJr6.7ME - I realize that ME is the "middle eastern" version which basically turns off the EGR and is for trucks without a DPF and I'm assuming that the SmartyJr6.7 is for trucks WITH all the emissions still intact. If I buy a SmartyJr6.7 and load the SmartyJr6.7ME files on it have I essentially turned it into a SmartyJr6.7ME? Basically I'm asking if the only difference between the two are the files it comes LOADED with but you can turn it into whatever you want.

2- It is repeated multiple times that if you have a tune loaded, and the dealer flashes your truck, smarty will think your truck is a different truck and the smarty will no longer work and cannot be unlocked. So, the smarty website says to make sure you flash back to stock before going to the dealer. So far, I understand. My confusion is that if I have the ME (non-emissions) tunes loaded in the smarty, and I flash to SW0 (which is the stock tune), I will be at the stock power levels but egr will still be disabled and if the dealer flashes my truck the smarty will let me "reload" any tune I want. My confusion is that smarty says it's "vin locked" but when you "return to stock" it's "unlocked" so what is to stop me from loading the stock ME tune (SW0) on as many trucks as I want (since the stock tune "SW0" is unlocked)? I'm wondering if there is something besides just loading "SW0" that unlocks the smarty. This is the part I haven't been able to understand because the smarty site repeats over and over it's "vin locked" but if that's true why does a dealer over-writing a loaded tune disable smarty? The dealer doesn't change my VIN so shouldn't smarty recognize my VIN and just work anyway?

thanks

PS please no posts about other tuners...hoping this can remain civil and just be about smarty... [coffee]

Blake Clark 02-19-2011 01:10 PM

1. Correct you can take a Smarty JR and make it a ME or vice versa just by changing the programming.

2. If the Smarty programming is on the truck, no matter the SW# its VIN locked to that truck.

dmurdock 02-19-2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 2927143)
2. If the Smarty programming is on the truck, no matter the SW# its VIN locked to that truck.

This is what's really confusing me..as far as I can tell it's not just a VIN lock because if the dealer overwrites a smarty tune you can't use your smarty anymore even if the vin "matches" what's in smarty's memory right?

Is there another option besides "SW0" to go to stock (to unlock the smarty?)? I'm assuming that besides SW0,1,2,3 there is also a "stock" option? IF I have the ME files loaded and choose the "unlock" option will the egr/dpf be turned back on?

fyi - not trying to "cheat the system" here just trying to figure out what to do if I get a smarty and have to go to the dealer...I'd be paranoid about them flashing the truck and basically losing the money I spent on the smarty but I also don't want to have to put all the emissions stuff back on just to go to the dealer. I read a thread about somebody with a minimaxx and when the dealer reflashed his truck he was able to reload the program and go about his business...as far as I can tell this isn't an option with the smarty right?

thanks!

madhat 02-19-2011 01:46 PM

SW 0 is not stock, it's half power. When you go to the smarty main screen, you can choose catcher sw or stock sw.

I do not know what will happen to the truck when you put it to stock with the deletes...

Last couple of times I've take mine to the dealer, I told them not to flash it, and made them write it on the svc ticket.

AH64ID 02-19-2011 02:59 PM

Jr's don't have SW0.

But I would presueme that if your stock and deleted your going to have issues.

dmurdock 02-19-2011 06:56 PM

ok, that makes sense (choosing either catcher or stock sw). So I wonder if you choose stock sw with the ME tunes loaded in the smarty if the emissions are turned off?

FYI I don't care anything about power...I want low/no smoke and MPG:)

AH64ID 02-19-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by dmurdock (Post 2927311)
ok, that makes sense (choosing either catcher or stock sw). So I wonder if you choose stock sw with the ME tunes loaded in the smarty if the emissions are turned off?

FYI I don't care anything about power...I want low/no smoke and MPG:)

Well it does look like there is a "0" stock, it's stock tuning, but VIN locked so you can keep your tire setting, doesn't look the any DPF removal is included.

But SW1 with all defaults would be a good setting. There is no extra fuel on SW1, just some timing.. this will improve the mileage and throttle responce.

madhat 02-19-2011 08:20 PM

So what we need is... in the smarty stock software (because the smarty does not store YOUR stock program, but a stock OEM software) a OEM version that allows for the deletes.

Blake Clark 02-19-2011 08:24 PM

I think what they mean by stock on SW0 is it is stock power levels, it just loads the MADS delete programming without altering the "power" of the engine. When you return to stock software it returns the oem programming to the ECM.

dmurdock 02-19-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 2927364)
I think what they mean by stock on SW0 is it is stock power levels, it just loads the MADS delete programming without altering the "power" of the engine. When you return to stock software it returns the oem programming to the ECM.

Got that part..just wondering if the return to stock/factory software that is on the ME versions of the smarty is the factory tuning you would get if you live in the ME or if no matter what when you go to stock you get the US version of a stock factory load vs an overseas version of a stock factory load. This is the part that isn't really explained anywhere becasue dodge DOES have factory ecm programs with the emissions turned off (except egr) because the trucks sold in brazil don't have a dpf or nox...just egr (and it might be disabled from factory...not sure but the hardware is present).

Blake Clark 02-19-2011 09:10 PM

Nah it has to be the US version.

Mark are you sure that the Smarty doesn't copy over the stock vehicle software. Been a while since I programmed with one and to be honest ive forgotten, and honestly thought it did.

Either way, i had the ME on my 08 and when I returned it to stock it worked fine.

madhat 02-19-2011 09:20 PM

With the S-06, there is an OEM software that is loaded on the smarty. When Bob puts out a new version of smarty SW, he puts the latest OEM stock software on there.

Say you have OEM software 3.0 on your truck, and you load a Catcher software, then take it back to stock, you may put a 3.1 or 3.2 OEM software on your truck, whatever the latest version is.

The smarty does not save your version of the OEM...

Blake Clark 02-19-2011 09:25 PM

I see. Thanks Bud!

madhat 02-19-2011 09:26 PM

Hope it's clear as mud!

Rednecktastic 02-19-2011 09:48 PM

2. Answer I'd think is no. If it's got the delete programming on it then that isn't stock.

I'd just run SIMs for the dpf stuff and only use the tuner to turn off the EGR. That's what I plan to do when I buy a new one. That way I could put the computer back to stock anytime.