4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I'm fixing my own ride, forget warranty.
Now we are talking. Just bite the bullet guys. You wont regret it. I did it at 17k on my 08, simply because nothing was available before that.

Not a single regret yet.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by limpnoodle88
banned again...really. this is getting stupid

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Doesn't have to happen if a person just follows the simple forum rules :

"If you purposely register more than one username, all of your usernames will be banned and removed until verbal or written explanation is given to the webmaster."

If you desire a change in user name we will be happy to be of help, all you have to do is ask

There is NO need for ANYONE to be posting in the same thread under two user names as this guy did.
Huh what???
Was that random whining in a completely not related thread or did I miss something???
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
and why shouldn't the dealer do his due diligence and find out what is causing him to submit a warranty claim?? This attitude that warranty should be granted on engine, drivetrain and emissions components if you start adding power with aftermarket electronics has to disappear from the diesel hotrodders lexicon.
This prompted me to speak to the service manager at my local CDJ dealer. I called this AM and of course I got his voicemail so I left a message. Within 30 minutes I got a call back. He couldn't have been more cordial. I just came out with it and asked -- "If I remove some emissions equipment and have a tuner loaded on the truck and suffer an unrelated failure, what is your stance on handling such warranty claims." I was really impressed with his answer.

He basically said two things. One, he said that he really needs to be sure that the mods caused the failure before he will not cover something. He said if it's not clear, it will most likely be covered. The other thing he said was that he gets this question often and has no problem talking through all this. What more can I ask of him? If I broke it, then he shouldn't have to pay to fix it. But if the cause is something other than the mods, I think it should be fixed under the warranty.

This particular service manager has been at this high-volume dealer for several years and he stood behind some serious work on my 2005 truck and I was very impressed with this service department. I never got the, "Can't reproduce customer complaint." If there was a problem, they went with me for a ride.

I'm rambling now but my point is -- if something fails not related to the mods, I'm pretty comfortable after this conversation. I know there will be naysayers that will say I'm naive and can't trust them. But I'm a critic, not a cynic!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 67guzzler
This prompted me to speak to the service manager at my local CDJ dealer. I called this AM and of course I got his voicemail so I left a message. Within 30 minutes I got a call back. He couldn't have been more cordial. I just came out with it and asked -- "If I remove some emissions equipment and have a tuner loaded on the truck and suffer an unrelated failure, what is your stance on handling such warranty claims." I was really impressed with his answer.

He basically said two things. One, he said that he really needs to be sure that the mods caused the failure before he will not cover something. He said if it's not clear, it will most likely be covered. The other thing he said was that he gets this question often and has no problem talking through all this. What more can I ask of him? If I broke it, then he shouldn't have to pay to fix it. But if the cause is something other than the mods, I think it should be fixed under the warranty.

This particular service manager has been at this high-volume dealer for several years and he stood behind some serious work on my 2005 truck and I was very impressed with this service department. I never got the, "Can't reproduce customer complaint." If there was a problem, they went with me for a ride.

I'm rambling now but my point is -- if something fails not related to the mods, I'm pretty comfortable after this conversation. I know there will be naysayers that will say I'm naive and can't trust them. But I'm a critic, not a cynic!
I glad for you. I had an almost identical convo with the Service Manager at the dealer I bought my 08 from. Was up front about what I have and will be doing and got literally the same reply.

What more can you ask for.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing I'm learning is this. For all these devices, if they make more power and more soot before the treatment system by advancing timing and adding pressure, they're going to generate more particulates hitting the DPF. Net result -- MORE regens.
The theory seems correct, but if you actually see how much soot is produced with the OEM program with EGR and then running a programmer without the filter you would be surprised how much that is NOT true.

The Smarty on the SW5 tune (90hp) for me makes little or no smoke at all even when I am towing my TT at WOT up the hill. When I was running the Smarty with the DPF in place, just having the new fuel/timing and removing the EGR function reduced the amount of Regens. Fact.

SO even if Smarty or Mini / Black Maxx / XRT have DPF present tuning, there is going to be more regens on the higher power settings.

This begs the question -- Is this inherently bad? Risky? DPF clogging? I don't know. It does drive one to consider just buying a DPF delete pipe but leaving the rest of the exhaust system intact and then just using the DPF removed tunes to stop regens entirely....

I feel that coming on in my case sometime down the road.

But for Smarty 6.7 2010 -- when it does come out -- I bet it will contain DPF present tuning. That would be a surprise if it didn't.
If the DPF is "clogging" then the factory presets for estimating soot load in the DPF have been messed with and this is a fault of the programmer. Running the Smarty with my DPF still in place never gave any indications of DPF malfunction and it came out as clean as it should be for the normal filter regens.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 PM
The Guru

Dog, have you dynoed you truck yet? I'm curious to see the differences between your truck and mine.

My 10 seemed to have laid down (no power) and died, turned off all the defuels and had her on kill. I was trying to keep up with a 12v twin turbo truck. Man I have to fix that...

I ran my truck for 9000km with the egr unplugged, the dpf and cat came out and looked pretty clean inside.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
I glad for you. I had an almost identical convo with the Service Manager at the dealer I bought my 08 from. Was up front about what I have and will be doing and got literally the same reply.

What more can you ask for.
I talked to a good friend of mine at a local Dodge drealership about the deletes on the 6.7 he didn't care but recomended puting the pipe back on if I was going to bring it in. A factory rep voided the warranty on a 07 5.9 diesel that was in for a routine oil change because it had aftermarket exhaust.