4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Question on Adjustable Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question on Adjustable Control Arms

So ever since learning that installing a leveling kit makes the front axle shift to the left and now noticing it every time I approach my truck from the front, I've been thinking of installing adjustable control arms. Specifically, I've been looking at the Hell Bent Steel control arms because I'm very pleased with the quality and workmanship I found in their leveling kit and anti-sway bard drop brackets.

I've noticed that they sell the upper and lower arms as a package but that you can also buy only the upper or only the lower. What's the reason for this? I would assume that if you're putting adjustable on one you'd also want adjustable on the other. Is that not the case? It seems to me that only installing adjustable upper OR lower arms wouldn't accomplish anything.

Thoughts?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't need the control arms, you need a tracbar. The tracbar is what controls the side to side movement of the axle.

http://thurenfabrication.com/3rdgentrackbar.html
Old 11-24-2012, 10:33 AM
The Guru

Adjustable control arms are to improve the amount of caster you have. As you lift the truck the front axle moves towards the rear axle. The adjustable control arms help to restore or improve the factory alignment values. I think the factory spec is 3.5 to 3.9 deg's, I run 4.5 deg's on my 02. Its suppose to improve stablity/handling at higher speeds. Driving on gravel roads at high speeds I find that these trucks abit twitchy (seem to become unstable).

I have adjustable control arms on my 02. My wheel alignment shops refuse to touch the control arms for more caster. I have a 3in lift (longer springs) in the 02 on DSS adjustable control arms and DSS trackbar/Steering box brace.

If you look at the lower factory control arm (look from the front bumper). There is the caster adjuster (there is about 0.5 deg of adjustment). If your adjuster is maxed out and you need more caster, consider adjustable control arms.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 PM

I'm confused. My alignment, at least according to the shop I paid to align it, is okay. The issue is that the axle is an inch or so left of center. Is that a track bar or is that control bars? I've been looking at control bars all this time when perhaps I've been looking at the wrong thing (which makes sense because I still can't figure out how the control arms, which seem to be there to prevent the axle from rotating or moving forward or backward, could make the axle move left).

Can someone clarify. Now I don't know which I need?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM

You need an adjustable trackbar to re-center your axle.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM

I think y'all may have just saved me from buying $750 in parts that wouldn't have corrected my problem. I'll start looking at track bars.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:31 PM

Adjustable arms are to center the tire in the wheel well, when looking form the side of the truck. My tires are a little more to the front of the wheel well and adjustable arms would allow me to move the tire more to the rear and center tire in the wheel well. Trac bar will allow cetering the axle left to right under the truck.

The adjustable arms are also supposed to allow the axle to move up down more freely than the stock arms.

I used arms from Rock Auto to alllow my tires to be centered after adding lift kit and larger tires.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Grab one from Thuren or Carli. Very well made.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Danderson? Just curious what arms you may have used ?

Are either of these mfrs adjustable so you can center the tire in the wheel well?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 PM

http://www.rokmen.com/suspension/con...ckage-227.html

These one's are.. Looks to be a decent warranty but cannot speak for how they are in regards to warranty as I have not needed that yet. I had looked around for awhile before selecting these.

Best of luck with your decision Hoss
Old 11-24-2012, 10:07 PM

Ordered the Carli bar. We'll see how it works.