4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Putting Exhaust outlet through HOOD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Putting Exhaust outlet through HOOD!

DTR Members, Its TIME!!

I'm starting a modification that most will probably say is retarted so either talk me into it, or, talk me out of it.

My Options are running my exhaust through the hood or running it out of the Right side (Passenger side Fender).

If you are asking why, then let me tell you. I'm the type of person that does things differently. Most do not even think of the things that I do. So, for my truck, I want a pretty close to "One Off" setup. My truck is a daily driver and at most is driven 100-200 miles a week in a Non-Patrolled environment. I currently have a Flo Pro 5" no muffler exhaust with a Flo Pro "Black Chrome" 6" tip extended past the rear fender/bumper by about 2" or so. I do not care about noise/drone so it is simply not a factor for me. What I need is true, experience.

I do not want fuel/black stuff all over my truck at start up. So, with that said, I need a tip that will allow covered treatment or a way to vent the water out prior to start-up. If I go outside the fender, that will not be an issue.

So, let me know what you are thinking.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To each his own I guess, but if your in the western end of the state I would like to check it out when done ! Other than that I have nothing usefull to add.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 AM

Heck yeah, DO IT! I've been wanting to do that but big brother around here dosen't like for you to have it coming out of your hood.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I recall, it is against the law to have the exhaust exit ahead of a passenger compartment. "Non-patrolled area" may mean you get away with it, but it may still be hazardous for yourself and any occupants. Just my $.02.

I thought the early Scheid 2nd Gens looked cool with the coal pouring on in the sled pulls, but then saw others with twin stacks, and I liked them better. To each his/her own.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh boy, have fun with that!
You spelled retarded wrong though...
lol!!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Kerry King,
Some things are worth spelling wrong for the humor of it all.

As of today I have piping for either method. I have done measurements for both. Tomorrow, 1st thing, I am disconnecting all piping except for the down-pipe and testing out the sound. I currently am leaning toward the passenger side fender due to possible clearance issues associated with a later twins build issue. Anyway, keep the advice coming.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was just bustin your chops pal.
I watched a you tube vid last night of a dodge with a hood stack. Holy loud!!!
I think you'll for syre be the truck that is different and stands out. I bet there aren't many 4th gen street trucks running around like yours. I've read all your other build threads so far also. It's a cool truck.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Please post picks when your done PLEASE. That would be killer, and would take a big set to do! I guess your not married? I work on diesel generators, thay use a rain cap. But they also have a mufler with a drain plug. I wonder how the big rigs keep the water out? Just thinking out loud. BTW I get busted for my spelling, we get the point.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Be sure an install an additional 5 gallon windshield washer tank, as you will need it to wash the soot off the windshield after each time you roll the coal.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:26 PM

And have a tow business phone number with you to get it home when that trip away from the local police gets it confiscated!!
They won't let you drive it away with just a ticket!

But it will be fun and cool for a little while!
Enjoy.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

SOhappy, you are correct. But, as the driver, I could care less about what the passenger can see!! Still funny though.

j-fox, why so negative? I simply am attempting something that is rare and interesting. Please hold all negativity/jealousy until the photos are posted. As far as the police, I am not certain that they would do anything regarding this issue. Not that I am an expert, but, I am no punk riding around spraying black smoke on people at random. I drive my truck for personal enjoyment and ensure that when I "Play" no one is around or at risk. Regardless of the perception, some people can drive with a mature amount of sanity.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
This will be interesting, and different for sure. Not my cup of tea, and I dont have the stones to cut a whole in my new trucks hood, but I am anxiously awaiting to see how this pans out.

I bet the sound bellowing from a hood stack would be unreal.....
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by New2Diesel
SOhappy, you are correct. But, as the driver, I could care less about what the passenger can see!! Still funny though.

j-fox, why so negative? I simply am attempting something that is rare and interesting. Please hold all negativity/jealousy until the photos are posted. As far as the police, I am not certain that they would do anything regarding this issue. Not that I am an expert, but, I am no punk riding around spraying black smoke on people at random. I drive my truck for personal enjoyment and ensure that when I "Play" no one is around or at risk. Regardless of the perception, some people can drive with a mature amount of sanity.
Now, I wasn't so awful negative, but i know people who have done what you are planning and they got tickets and tow fees by state police.
Have Fun.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM

It's all just talk until there are pictures..................
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by krusty 2
It's all just talk until there are pictures..................
Nawwww.....

If Brian says he is gonna do it, you can bet he already has the hole saw ready.

Quick Reply: Putting Exhaust outlet through HOOD!